Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mclaren Murdered??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathy

Kathy Report 9 May 2007 09:36

Hi Can someone point me in the right direction please. I have a David Mclaren in my family tree who died on 23/07/1903 in Kirkcaldy Scotland. On his death cert it states he was 'found' strangled. I dont think he commited suicide, as i have a great grandmother who did and it states that on her death cert. Anyone know where i could research this further? As i live in England and it makes it hard to look through old newspapers. Many thanks in advance. Kathy

Irene

Irene Report 9 May 2007 10:01

Did you check the Times Newspaper it is on line but not sure if it would mention events in Scotland. Irene

Kathy

Kathy Report 9 May 2007 10:09

Thanks just tried the times and hasnt anything on it. Though thanks for your advice and taking the time to reply. Many regards Kathy

Georgina

Georgina Report 9 May 2007 10:11

Kathy if you contact the GRO in Edinburgh they might be able to advise you on where to look. I am interested in this as my main family are Mclaren's so I hope you get a result. Georgina.

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 9 May 2007 11:02

Try www.dswebhosting.info/nas Its the online catelogue for the National Archives of Scotland and may have the case listed. If you find something then the site listed below do lookups at the NAS (because the NAS dont offer a lookup service), you will find them very friendly and good value for money. If not, try getting in touch with the local library to where the event happened. Most will search through newspapers if you give them a date and send out a copy. Hope that helps Mhairi

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 May 2007 13:58

Kathy Is there a corrected entry in the margin. If so you can now view the corrected entry online on Scotlands People. It might give you more information if the death was unusal. Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 May 2007 14:24

Hello Kathy Have you tried searching the Scotsman Archive?I found the report of the murder of one of my ancestors there. http://archive(.)scotsman.com/about(.)cfm Remove brackets Kindest regards Maureen

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 9 May 2007 23:45

I would have though that such a death would require an inquest, so perhaps that's what you should be searching for.

Kathy

Kathy Report 16 May 2007 20:56

Thanks to all who helped me out on this one, I found it on the corrected entry on Scotlands people. He wasnt murdered but comitted suicide... Regards Kathy

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 16 May 2007 21:44

I bet you are now wondering why??? did he do it. I watched a programme last night, about being a widow. Joan Rivers was one of them. Her husband committed suicide. She was really angry at him for doing that to her and her daughter. She said that if she meets up with her husband she will F*****g kill him she was so mad lol. Marion

rita

rita Report 30 Apr 2017 19:14

looking for information on Rita McLaren born 1941 died 1989 springburn glasgow her mother was kathleen mclaren whiteford born 1920 Lochgilphead died 1987 glasgow Rita McLaren lived tradeston 1961 abbotsford place were she married John murray swan his father donald morrison swan and mother Alice b Revell born in Renfrew, Gourock also lived 1961 abbotsford place
1961 name on John murray swan and Rita McLaren her marrage certificate rita ( formerly rena ) McLaren whiteford occupation cinema usherette
her mothers name Kathleen Margaret whiteford occupation domestic servant
i was brought up with my brother john and sister alice catherine margaret swan any imformation on my relations friends school pictures were they lived would be greatfull thanks rita mcskimming john and ritas daughter my email [email protected]

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Apr 2017 19:45

Have Rita sent the following message by PM

Rita - please see the reply on General Chat.

As you are a new member, you may not realise that its best to only have one thread per family/request. That's because helpers tend to look at all the boards but may come across one thread while a different helper is trying to assist on another. That ends up as a duplication of effort.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1366056
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1366055

Its also best not to tag a request onto a completely unrelated one started by someone else
Don't worry, you'll soon get the hang of it :-)