Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Look ups at Kew - Scrooge's Xmas offer - Results o

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 23 Dec 2005 12:44

On my final visit to Kew - at least for the forseeable future - I tackled a few of the more complicated queries. Unfortunately, these took up oodles of time, so I didn't get very many done. Apologies to those for whom time ran out. 28 January 2006

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 23 Dec 2005 12:48

I hope to get to Kew over the Xmas break. If you have SIMPLE requests: ie look up WW1 soldiers' documents, or know the EXACT reference, please feel free to add to this list. No guarantees and I'm unlikely to be online till I actually get to Kew, so it can only be easy stuff, and what I can do in a day, but after the turkey, I do need my Christmas fix in a Record Office!

Kate

Kate Report 23 Dec 2005 13:04

What a great offer! Thanks so much. I don't know how easy this will be, but I hope easy enough. My grandfather's half-brother, Reginald Hugh Bristow, appears to have 2 WW1 medal cards. A researcher looked up one of them on the medal rolls for me and gave me a copy of the information, but he couldn't seem to understand I wanted the other one looked up as well (although I told him three times!). It is under the name of R. H. Bristow and he was in the A.S.C. and the Essex Regiment. It says on it that one of his medals - the 14 Star - was forfeited and then restored, and the explanation of this should be on the medal roll, and I would love to know what it was all about. So if you could please look him up on the medal roll and let me know what it says, I would be very grateful. It might be easiest if you send me your email address so I can send you a copy of the medal card. Oh, just noticed you said you won't be online till you get there, well, this is the details you get from the National Archives Documents Online: Image details Description Medal card of Bristow, R H Corps Regiment No Rank Army Service Corps T/26911 Driver Essex Regiment 58216 Driver Date 1914-1920 Catalogue reference WO 372/3 Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War Piece Boundy D H - Campbell H Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection Thanks again for the offer and a Happy Christmas, Kate.

Just

Just Report 23 Dec 2005 13:56

If there is a chance of you looking up the following records I'd really appreciate it. WW1 Medal Card: Sollars, Richard W Corps: Surrey Yeomanry Regiment No:2226 Rank: Private.... [now my Dad says Grandad was a Serjeant, so he can't work out why it says 'Private...'] Catoulogue Ref: WO 372/18 1914-1920 WW1 Medal Card: Coney, Albert V Corps: Lincolnshire Regiment Regiment No: 15570 Rank: Private Catoulogue Ref: WO 372/4 Thank you very much for any assistance you can give. It would be great to see what info is given on the cards such as perhaps: what medals were awarded and for what and when, their home address and relatives details etc. This is much appreciated. Regards Claire

Nantwich

Nantwich Report 23 Dec 2005 14:07

Hi there A very kind offer!! if possible could you look up the details of the following WW1 medal card........ Description Medal card of Morrlle, Joseph Corps Regiment No Rank South Wales Borderers 41785 Private Training Reserve Battalion 22703 Private Date 1914-1920 Catalogue reference WO 372/14 Many, many thanks..... Hope you have a Happy Christmas and all the best for 2006!! Sarah :)

Fiona

Fiona Report 23 Dec 2005 14:16

Thank you for the wonderful offer!!! If you can I'd be grateful for any info on the service record of......... Service No: 14994 Charles Leonard Titley 1st Bn., Kings Shropshire Light Infantry He died 9th March 1917 in France. Next of kin would have been, James and Mary Titley, 6 Longden Common, Shropshire. Thanks and have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!! Regards Fiona.

David

David Report 23 Dec 2005 14:27

Hi, If you could possibly do a look up for me it will resolve nearly 3 years of researching. Private William Dumelow, Royal Warwickshire Regiment No. 296. I know he was at Lichfield Barracks when he got married in 1911. I am desperate to find out who his parents were. I thank you very much for your kind offer. Dave Dumelow

Wulliam

Wulliam Report 23 Dec 2005 14:32

Hi Ebeneza, What a kind offer! I don’t know whether the following is easy or not – if not, please ignore it. Frank William Ashman has 2 medal cards: Medal card of Ashman, Frank W Corps: Worcestershire Regiment Regiment No: 29992 Rank: Corporal 1914-1920 WO 372/1 Medal card of Ashman, Frank Williams Corps: Worcestershire Regiment Regiment No: 29992 Rank: Corporal 1914-1920 WO 372/23 The first one details his entitlement to the Victory and British medals – they are under roll L/102.B and page 145. The second card refers to his winning the Military Medal. I know that very few of these records survived the WW2 bombs – but the references are as follows: Registered Paper 68/121/822 Schedule Number 224593 If you are able to get any more details then I would be most grateful. Frank was my great-grandfather – both his children are still alive and would, I’m sure, be glad to know more. Kind regards – and happy Christmas! William

Irene

Irene Report 23 Dec 2005 16:08

Thank you so very much for the offer it would be really fantastic if you could find details of my ancestor GEORGE BISHERY. born 19.10.1832. I have details of him from the Crimea war. His number was 3057 Pte. 48th Foot(Northamptonshire). Wounded at Sebstopol 5.11.1855 also shows as Slight Wound, Minor action at Sebastopol 25.07.1855. I am hoping there are details of the solders and the service they did at Kew. This info came from Wartimes Index. Living in Norfolk it is not easy for me to get to Kew. Many many thanks Irene

Diana

Diana Report 23 Dec 2005 16:21

Hi there If you can find time to fit me in as well it would be great What I do have is Henry William Pearce Married to Florence Emily May Harrington 18/8/1904 in Rochford district Essex and his First world war one medal card and his service number which is Pearce Henry Private S4/093510 (Baker Journeyman) A.S.C (this service number was also listed on his daughter's birth certificate in November 1918) I am trying to find a date and or place of birth, because I have been unsuccessful in tracing this info by other means Have a wnderful Christmas best wishes Diana

NightingalesLostnFound

NightingalesLostnFound Report 23 Dec 2005 18:20

With all these searches you may not get time to do your own, but if you can fit another one in... Just curiuos whats in his records, I know he fought in the Boer war, but I know nothing about his military career James Nightingale Catalogue reference WO 372/14 Vic: roll M/101B page 40 Brt: roll M/101B page 40 15 Str: roll M/3B page 876 date of entry 30/11/1914 ----------------------------------- Rank: Rifleman Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps Unit Text: 2nd Bn. Age: 34 Date of Death: 25/09/1915 Service No: 5/4931 I have an image of medal card if you want it Thank you and best wishes for Christmas Alan

Maid Marian of

Maid Marian of Report 23 Dec 2005 21:26

please if you could Death between 1851-1861 Master Mariner William Stibbins Lived in South Shields not sure if he was born there though! (sometimes there is a variation on spelling of surname) I have looked everywhere but cannot find his death. Thanks Marian

Steve

Steve Report 23 Dec 2005 21:52

Hi, In particular I am interested in Naval records. There are two records that come to mind at the moment. I will give you as many details as you require. Those two initial records are Charles Palmer - ADM 29/40/22 William Hobbs - ADM 29/61/264 Medal card of Hobbs, Charles E K Corps: Worcestershire Regiment Regiment No: 36516 Rank: Private... WO 372/9 Thanks if you can help Steve

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 23 Dec 2005 23:53

Your not an ebenezer at all.......If you have time: Item details: WO 97/114/41 Covering dates 1800-1814 JOHN ROBBINS Born WINSOM, Somerset (In later years referred to as Winsham) Served in 1st Dragoons Discharged aged 35 Im not sure what details this will have but any details would be most welcome. I know he is a rellie but just cant find where he fits. Suzanne

Susan

Susan Report 24 Dec 2005 08:47

Hello Eb. If you do get the chance. Herbert Samuel PILLINGER. chesire reg. service no W/195.Died 07/07/1916 age 33,if you get the chance to get a copy of service record would certainly be appreciated.

Heather

Heather Report 24 Dec 2005 15:54

Hi, feel so guilty asking you Brenda. But if you get a chance, this is all I have and understand if not enough to go on: Record in World War 1 Enlisted Men: J. Leading Stoker. R.N. 112 Neptune St. Rotherhithe. Merchant Navy I.D. card No. 429718 - On the actual photograph No. 129718. On Mercantile Marine Reserves Service Record for WW1 Horstead, J, Leading Fireman 13 S.S.S. 791125 Medals earned ST, V, B issued S. Served on HMS Rollcall. For all that (and I paid a researcher for this one!) I havent been able to find his WW1 record as mum and auntie always said he was at Battle of Jutland, it would be nice to confirm. Many thanks.

Carla

Carla Report 25 Dec 2005 00:42

Hello Thank you so much for your very kind offer. If possible could you please look up the details of the following WW1 medal card. GRAY, Frederick G Devon Regiment 21858 Private Catalogue reference WO/372/8 Many thanks and best wishes for the New Year. Carla (Western Australia)

Edward

Edward Report 26 Dec 2005 00:38

Hi from Downunder. Would it be at all possible for a lookup please. I am looking for information on James Grierson Beattie,believe that he was in 12th Brigade,Royal Field Aritllery,s/n :- 69061 Rank:- Gunner. If this is possible I would appreciate it Ted (au)

dutch

dutch Report 26 Dec 2005 10:35

hello from holland if you could look this up i have my grandfather serjeant mb morgan 651053,1st bn,london regiment(first surrey riffles)who died on 14 nov 1918 remembered with honour new southgate cemetery but what i would like to find out if his name was malcolm bonner morgan,thank you for what ever help you can give all the best for 2006 joyce from holland

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 4 Jan 2006 14:10

Just to let everyone know that I have been to Kew. I did as many look ups as I could cram in and I will post results while I can still read my handwriting, but I've only just got my laptop back, minus most programs, all emails or any internet access. Currently I can only access GR at work, so please bear with me for a few days.