Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FREE Look-ups/research for Australia

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 10 Mar 2004 03:56

Hi everyone, I have greatly enjoyed reading about the success of other GC members in finding lost relatives or breaking down "brick walls" in their trees. Since I live in Australia however, I am not in a position to be able to do Census look-ups for England/Wales etc, but I do have access to a good selection of Australian and other historical/genealogical records at my local library. I have recently enjoyed some success looking for Australian and UK branches of other people's family trees and had a great amount of enjoyment doing the research. I need some more case studies !! So I am extending an invitation to anyone who has relatives/ancestors who came from/went to Australia to investigate these branches of their family tree for them. I am hopeful this will NOT open any floodgates, but I do enjoy challenges. LOL PLEASE...... Before you hit that reply button, you must be able to tell me at least the STATE in which they lived/live (New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania or NT/ACT) since ALL types of records are filed according the STATE of the relevant district. Regretfully, I cannot proceed if you are unable to narrow down the search terms/criteria to the state concerned. The more information you can provide, the greater the chance of finding the information you want (eg if you know the particular area of Sydney then tell me, otherwise I have to look through all Sydney districts). I cannot promise anything but using various sources I might be able to find something of interest that was not previously known to you and possibly even give you the names of the next generation (fingers crossed). Andrew (Victoria) Other Australian GC members might like to volunteer their services too. Please contact me if this applies to you.

Jane

Jane Report 10 Mar 2004 07:32

HI Andrew You could be a live saver. I am trying to find out about this George Grey family. I believe i am related to George Grey and Ann Holligworth. George and Ann married May 1830 in Winterton, Lincolnshire, so i think George (Junior that moved to Australia) could be their son although i cannot find any records of them having a son called George. This is the information i have so far. George GREY, b. Winterton 10 Mar.1831; m. Elizabeth Jane BOREHAM,(b. 29 Jun 1830 in Cheshunt Herts.) in Campbellfield, Victoria Australia. Elizabeth sailed from Plymouth 24 Nov.1848 with parents Isaac BOREHAM and Jane GLASCOCK, arr. Geelong, Australia on 2 Mar 1849. A George GREY and wife, Anne HOLLINGWORTH live in Winterton. I would appriciate any information you can give me with this family Thanks for your kind offer of help Jane

Patricia

Patricia Report 10 Mar 2004 09:29

Andrew, Was wondering what you know about ships passenger lists. what I was trying to do was find a couple of relatives on these lists to confirm or find out which boat they arrived on. The first is MARY RANDLE who sailed to Australia at 19 years of age supposedly on the CHARLIE PALMER arriving in 1864 in Brisbane. The story goes that she then sailed on THE OLD SETTLER to Ipswich, after that it was by COBB and Co to what became Toowoomba. I have searched on the internet but can only find references to the Charlie Palmer but no passenger lists. The other two are far more obsure. FRANCES FEORE (b cork Ireland 6.5.1864) emigrated at 17. So that suggests c1881 voyage. She would have come from Queenstown (now Cobh) in Ireland. She was married in St George Queensland 19.5.1896. SO I am presuming she arrived in Queensland. Last is MARGARET TELFER (b Roxburghshire, scotland 20.8.1850) Married 26.6.1870 in Wangaratta Vic. I have no idea of the boat or ports for this one. I know the descendants of these people but would like to fill in the gaps re the boats they travelled on. Any thing you could find out about any off them would be greatly appreciated or if you could point me in the right direction. Trish

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 10 Mar 2004 09:41

Oh my God where to begin. Most upset that my line of ansetors left us all behind and sailed off to NSW in the 1830's. PLAYFORDS ( famous as I understand for Brickmakingin Sydney and PM in Adelaids Sir Thomas PLAYFORD) and entwined with the ROOTES family both who sailed from Beckley Sussex england. 2 books written about them 'Certain Lives" and 'we came from Beckley' Many of them lived in SINGLETON - I would love to know more about this place. One branch of the family were wine makers Rosemount Denman NSW. Any info on PLAYFORDS within that area would be great. I have names and dates, but too many, so would be indebted to you for place info etc . Thank you so much Much happiness Debi ( who would have liked it if her family twig had followed the branches to OZ)

Michelle

Michelle Report 10 Mar 2004 10:16

Andrew Hi if you could help that would be fantastic. Anything about them would be wonderful however small!! ROBERT DOUGAN b1831/33 Ireland? married ISABELLA STEWART b 25/3/1831 (Abernethy Scotland) Marriage was in Sydney on 20/3/1861 Reg No 182/1861 Deaths - Isabella Dougan (nee Stewart) 1911 Reg 485/1911 District Ashfield Fathers given name Alexander, Mothers given name Mary. Robert Dougan 1915 Reg 1066/1915 District Ashfield. Fathers given name Arthur Mothers given name Jenny. I believe they had about 7 children possibly - Arthur (1861),Stewart Abernethy(1863), Mary (1865), Robert (1867), Earnest A (1869), William H (1871) and Percival David (1873). I would love to be able to take it from there and find the children's spouses and thier subsequent kids.etc Family gossip says that Robert Dougan was a Slave Trader!!! and was once Mayor of Springfield/Ashfield???? I have a lovely picture of him but know nothing much about him or where he came from ( I'm related to Isabella my gt gt gt Aunt!) Thanks for offering (maybe you'll regret it!!) Cheers Michelle

Gloria

Gloria Report 10 Mar 2004 12:32

Hi Andrew, This is a lonshot, but hope you can help. I am looking for info. on relations that went out to OZ with BRYANT & MAY match factory, early 1900s. I do not know which state the factory went to. The people I am looking for are, Phillip Becker, Alice Becker, and possible Annie Becker. They were born in East London, England. Thanks a million Gloria.

William

William Report 10 Mar 2004 14:07

I am trying to locate a cousin of mine by the name of Joey Edwards.He first came to Oz in the 1960's from Flint,North Wales with his Wife.About the year 1980 he returned to Flint after his Marriage break up,However he found he couldn't settle back home and returned to Oz.I have tried on all sorts of Message Boards to locate him,but to no avail.I'm sorry I coudn't be more specific as to location,but perhaps at least you may be able to offer advice as to how to proceed. Regards William Russell Jones Cefn Mawr Wrexham North Wales.

Donald

Donald Report 10 Mar 2004 17:39

Hi Andrew, Many thanks for your kind offer. I am interested in any Parfreys - I have a list showing James Washer Parfrey , wife Ruth and many children who sailed to Portland 27 September 1854 on "Birmingham". Any further information about them would be very much appreciated. I am pretty certain they went to Victoria. Thank you so much. Kind regards - Jackie

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 10 Mar 2004 17:42

Hi Andrew: I see that you have quite a few lookups. Perhaps when you have time again I am very interested in finding out about Major John Ovens, who was an Irish-born explorer who was in Australia from 1810 until he died in December 1825. At one time, he was a Private Secretary to General Brisbane and lived in the city(?) of Brisbane. There is more than a chance that he was my ancestor's uncle or grandfather and I am trying to confirm that fact, or find proof that he wasn't related so that I may look elsewhere for my ancestor's family. (I BELIEVE Major Ovens had a brother named William.) My ancestor was John Ovens, born in 1811, quite possibly in Corclune, Inishmacsaint, Ireland. His parents were (about 90% sure) William and Elizabeth Ovens. I have found quite a few websites about Major Ovens, but have not been able to find out personal information about him. Please feel free to contact me for further information or clarification. I've been looking for my John's family for 25 years (off and on) so I don't mind waiting until you aren't swamped with requests. Thank you very much for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

Andrew

Andrew Report 11 Mar 2004 11:23

Hi everyone Thanks for your enquiries - very interesting Michelle Pike - have contacted you directly Lisa J - Will look for some information regarding John Ovens for you - the name is quite well known as you have already established. We have an Ovens River here in Victoria which is tributary of the mighty Murray River, rising in the Victorian alps and flowing near to or through the towns of Bright, Beechworth, Wangaratta. So named, because Ovens was active (exploring) in the region and because the earliest colony of "New South Wales" included the area known today as the three states of Queensland, Victoria and New South Wales. Donald Parfrey - I can confirm that there James and Ruth Parfrey sailed to a Victorian port on the Birmingham which arrived in Australia in January 1855. Ages (on arrival) were James (38), Ruth (37), James (16), William (14), Ruth (12), Mary (10), Thomas (4). No further info for you yet - keep checking. Deborah Coone - Many records for Playford and Rootes. Have you seen the website www.playford.info ? This might have some of the information you are after. There is a great amount of detail under the "Playford family" section about the family from Beckley, Sussex. Singleton is a town in the Hunter Valley, approx 230km north of Sydney. It is mainly a coalmining centre, although manufacturing and agricultural activities are also important. We have two types of coal in Australia - black and brown. Black coal is found in underground seams and has to be dug out using tunnels and mine shafts. Brown coal is younger and forms closer to the surface and is extracted via open-cut technology. The Hunter Valley area of NSW is plentiful in black coal. Can you be more specific in terms of family members and the information you are after ? Regarding Playfords in politics - the family was very prominent in the South Australian parliament. Thomas Playford (1837-1915) b England (no more info at present), arrived in SA in 1844. He was Premier during the periods 1887-9 and 1892-3. His grandson, Sir Thomas Playford (1896-1981) was born at Norton's Summit, Adelaide and was also Premier from 1938-65. There was much controversy and he was reputed to have held office in the latter years only through the operation of a gerrymander, or a biased voting system. Eventually, under the electoral framework which was in place at the time, his government lost a sufficient amount of votes from the electors and he lost office. I haven't been able to find anything out about the involvement of Playfords in the brick-making industry - will try to look it up for you. William Jones - Sorry, can't offer any immediate help. Death records for NSW etc only go to 1945 online - will check other sources for you but without a place it is not a 10-20min task. Should I infer from your enquiry that Joey Edwards is still alive ? Jennifer Steele - many thanks for volunteering your services for the Townsville area. For complicated enquiries would people mind sending me an e-mail direct - that way I have your address to send a reply Thanks Andrew

Andrew

Andrew Report 11 Mar 2004 11:34

Oops, knew I'd forget something Debi Coone - Forgot to comment on your "Rosemount Denman NSW" reference. Rosemount Estate is still in existence - it is owned by a company called Southcorp. If you want to see what it looks like surf to www.rosemountestate.com.au. The winery at present began operations in the 1960's but as they say on the website the original proprietor of the Rosemount winery was Charles Brecht in the late 1800s. I am not sure if you are aware that Denman is the name of another town in the Hunter Valley, perhaps not unsurprisingly close to Singleton. More information about Singleton and Denman is available via the following URLs: www.walkabout.com.au/locations/NSWDenman.shtml www.walkabout.com.au/locations/NSWSingleton.shtml Cheers Andrew

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 11 Mar 2004 14:44

Thanks so much for this offer. I am in pursuit of my g g grandfather, William Frederick Restall who abandoned his family in England, and landed in Victoria to seek for gold in 1854. He settled in Moonambel, living with Mary Ann Restall (clearly not legally his wife as he already had one in Portsmouth!), and I should really like to find out who she was. I received some info that she landed in Victoria on the Java in 1853/4 and was also a native of Portsmouth...so I'm suspecting a previous liaison! Is there any way of finding a surname for her? I suspect it may be impossible, but keep hoping. Many thanks.

William

William Report 11 Mar 2004 15:18

Thanks Andrew for your reply.I would presume he's still alive,and would estimate his age as perhaps just under the 70 mark.Whether it would be of any use to you ,but he's a Catholic. Thanks Again William Russell Jones cefn Mawr Wrexham Wales.

Michael

Michael Report 11 Mar 2004 17:00

Hi Andrew, here's one you might like to get your teeth into. I am trying to find any descendants of Robert Hoddle, the same Robert Hoddle a bridge in Melbourne is named after, and also the guy who laid out the city/town of Melbourne. My Australian geography is not good, so not too sure which state that would be, but I am sure there must be some living descendants of his somewhere over there. Good luck!!!! Mike

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 11 Mar 2004 18:57

Thank you for your help, Andrew. Have also sent you an email.

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 11 Mar 2004 19:34

Hi Andrew I have to admit I have found very little on Sir Thomas PLAYFORD jnr over the years other than contents of his speeches, or some Lecturer anyalising them etc. etc. As for those PLAYFORD's in Singleton, Redfern, Denman, Newtown and Whittigham - that site you suggested is worth it's weight in gold. Fancy calling St Patricks Plain after St Patrick merely because it was nearly St Patricks day.( a bit of useless info : I actually libe in N.Ireland 2 miles from a town called DOWNPATRICK , as St Patricks bones are laid to rest there). As for the people PLAYFORD, yes thank you I have sourced alot of info from the playford website and made contact with the descendants - great to have a living tree now too. I just really wanted to learn more of the politics, culture and history of Hunters Valley NSW. I will of course e mail you with my thanks too. Much Happiness Debi p.s Don't forget me PLAYFORD BRICKS lol - William and Richard PLAYFORD brothers. Thank you .

Hilary

Hilary Report 12 Mar 2004 10:46

What a wonderful offer. My husband's grandfather (Donald) and his brother (Roy) both emigrated to Australia after WW1. My husband's grandparents eventually came back to the UK around 1932. The brothers somehow got on bad terms whilst in Australia and apart from the following details, they lost touch. Sons of James McDougall & Emma Dove Hudson were: ROY McDOUGALL born about 1895 in UK DONALD HUDSON McDOUGALL born 25th Sept 1898 in Twyford Street, Silvertown, London Roy married in New South Wales, but I have no name for his wife. They had 2 daughters: BETTY McDougall born 1919 JOAN McDougall born 1921 Can you please help me to trace Roy's history and his descendents? I have tried but just don't know how to do it from the UK. My mother-in-law is 80 and was born in Narrogin, NSW. It would mean so much if I could tell her what happened to her uncle and her cousins. Thanks very much, Hilary

Andrew

Andrew Report 12 Mar 2004 11:52

Hello everyone Please check below to see if I have responded to your enquiries. I have already put some smiles on a few faces. What a wonderful feeling !! Vanessa McDonald - You asked me about a William Frederick Restall and his partner Mary Ann. According to the records for Unassisted Migrants to Victoria, William Frederick Restall arrived in Victoria, aged 33, on the "Luconia" in Jun 1854. Apologies if you already have this information. If the Mary Ann on the Java is the right one, then her full details are Mary Ann Coverlid, age 30, arriving in Feb 1854. She was also unassisted. You mentioned Moonambel, and I found the following information about Moonambel from a Post Office directory. MOONAMBEL. Wimmera District. Borough and Postal Town, telegraph and Police Station, Electoral District of Crowlands, Distant 134 miles from Melbourne. Petty sessions held Monday and Friday C. W. Carr, Postmaster, R. E. Johns, Clerk, Thomas Lewis, Electric telegraph manager. Moonambel is near Avoca and was one of the favoured destinations for the Victorian gold rush (as you mentioned). The centre of the gold rush was at a place called Lamplough and I found the following entry in the Lamplough Index, a document containing the names of 60,000 UK and others migrants. MARY ANN RESTALL, Witness, Smith Inquest (Moonambel Avoca Daily Advertiser 3 May 1861). Wife of W. F. Restall (MADA 28 Jun 1861). So it seems that she really was his wife, not just his girlfriend. I know this doesn't answer your question about maiden name - the only possibility is to look for a marriage/death record for Victoria which are not online so you will have to wait. if the State Library has microfilm of the newspaper for 1861 then the second entry may also shed some light. I haven't been able to find any information about the Smith Inquest yet either. Michael Riddles - Re Robert Hoddle. Apologies again if you have this information- but I can expand a little on the biography. Robert Hoddle (1794-1881) Colonial Surveyor, b England. In 1823 Hoddle was appointed Assistant Government Surveyor in NSW under John Oxley, whom he assisted in the survey and establishment of Brisbane. Appointed Senior Surveyor in Port Phillip settlement (former name for Victoria) in 1837 he was responsible for Melbourne's formal grid layout, although there is some controversy regarding the efforts of his subordinate Robert Russell. He also designed the cities of Geelong and Ballarat and the maritime township of Williamstown, now part of Melbourne along with many other townships across Victoria. Rumour has it that the width of Melbourne streets was based on the dimensions required to turn around a bullock cart. I established that Robert Hoddle was interred in Melbourne General Cemetery which I could go and visit one spare weekend ....but I also managed to narrow down the dates. Born 20 April 1794. Died 24 October 1881. According to familysearch there is only one possible record, born St James, Westminster, London, baptized May 1794, but no actual birthdate recorded. I can't find any website which tells me the name of Robert Hoddle's wife. If you have this information - it could be help.

Andrew

Andrew Report 12 Mar 2004 12:20

Hello everyone - more responses. A special hello to those who are enjoying reading my treatises anmd who DIDN'T submit an enquiry :-) Hilary Waller - Re McDougall in NSW I'd love to tell you that I had established what Roy's wife was called except that I have checked NSW records and there are only two marriages to Roy McDougall's one in 1929 to Ivy Pearce and another in 1944 to Lillian O'Donnell - clearly these don't match up with your information about Roy's children being born Betty (1919) and Joan (1921). Assuming your information about birthdates is correct, then he must have either married elsewhere or been registered under a different name. Unfortunately, as I have mentioned in earlier responses, birth indices only go to 1905, so I cannot look tonight for Betty and Joan - I'll have to look it up when I am next in the library. I also checked marriages for Betty, and there are listings for Betty Emily, Betty Frona, Betty Joyce and Betty Margaret. Can you help me any more - do any of these middle names ring any bells? Any ideas about what part of NSW they settled in - it would make it much easier if I could narrow down the search area. Andrew

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 12 Mar 2004 13:24

Many, many thanks, Andrew, for the trouble you have taken. I have also been wondering about Mary Ann Coverlid. Although most Coverlids seem to come from Kent there are some Coverlids in Hampshire where my WFR originated so it's possible she could be my Mary Ann but she was travelling with two chaps (and a thirteen year old girl), so she might have been married to one of them or perhaps they were her brothers? It's very puzzling. If she was actually his wife rather than 'de facto' I must hope that a marriage record comes to light! Yes, also intrigued by the Smith inquest. Really love this hobby! Thank you so much.