Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871 Census Lookups Middx/Wales/Channel Islands

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 30 Jan 2004 13:52

If anyone would like look-ups for this census, I'm happy to do so. Trying to take the pressure off Sally a bit! Places available to search so far are Middlesex (EXcluding London) Wales & the Channel Islands & Isle of Man. Or so it says!! Will also do any other lookups available on ancestry uk Debbie

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2004 15:21

Missing one Great-grandad and his mum. (Not on 1881) Samuel Brierley born August 1865 (age 5 at 1871) Place of Birth: Moseley Hole, Wednesfield (Wolverhampton) Mum: Harriet Brierley (no father on certificate), age unknown. Nothing else to go on. He is in London for 1891 as policeman. Pauline

Deborah

Deborah Report 30 Jan 2004 15:42

Hi Pauline, Nothing on 1871 yet. Have to presume he was still in Wolverhampton. Hopefully they'll add that soon! Debbie

Tracy

Tracy Report 30 Jan 2004 17:09

HI Deborah, Could you please see if you can find Byron Burgess Born 2nd June 1858 St Giles Middlesex. Parents poss William & Sarah Burgess. Thank you Tracy

Deborah

Deborah Report 30 Jan 2004 17:33

Hi Tracy No Byron's I'm afraid. There is William Burgess 48 Greengrocer, Bermondsey Sarah Wife 44, Tottenham Hannah E Daur U 19, Walworth William Son 16, Tottenham Address Plough Yard, High Road, Tottenham Is St Giles part of London, if so, that's why he isn't on there, Middlesex does not include London. Debbie

Tracy

Tracy Report 30 Jan 2004 17:56

deborah Thank you for looking, ST Giles falls under Middlesex. Was this the only burgess on the census that was a married couple as william and sarah burgess? Byron seems to have dissappeared, hes not on anything until 1901 by then hes 42. Thanks again Tracy

Deborah

Deborah Report 30 Jan 2004 18:15

Hi Tracy, Yes, there were only 2 married Sarah's listed, the other married to an Edward Burgess. I tried Bryan and other such things, as there were no Byrons of any surname, but drew a blank. Still it's early days, he could pop up any day!! They are adding to this quite quickly. Debbie

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 30 Jan 2004 18:20

Deborough - could you please have a look for my two Mary Lowthers - I'm never sure where they will be as they moved about and i'm never sure what areas old Middlesex boundary covered. First is Mary Lowther age 20-30 she lied about her age in 1891. with sons George age 5 and James age 2 The other is Mary Lowther age 55 with a son Reuban age 11 Sue

Deborah

Deborah Report 30 Jan 2004 18:32

Hi Sue, Only 2 Lowthers on there at the moment: W Lowther age 11 pupil in Chiswick and William Lowther 43 bn Yorkshire living in Tottenham. Debbie

Lucky

Lucky Report 30 Jan 2004 18:35

Hi Deborah Would you try for a Welsh one for me please. On 1881 Griffith Davies was 35 a lead miner his wife Anne was 30. As their eldest child was 10 then I am hopeful they were married and living together in 1871. As the fisrt name is fairly unusual I hope that there aren't too many to choose from!! In 1881 census place was Flint. Thanks Diane

Debbie

Debbie Report 30 Jan 2004 18:37

Hi Debbie I am not sure if Westminster was classed as middlesex or London. But if it is could you try for a Charles Day he would have been 28 and born in westminster. He married in 1873 in India so he might not be anywhere in England. Thankyou for the kind offer, I havent had much luck with this man so heres hoping. Thanks Debbie

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 30 Jan 2004 19:07

Thanks Debbie - Sue.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 30 Jan 2004 21:30

Debbie not suer if theses will be under the part of Middlesex covered by ancestry but if you could have a peek would be grateful.. Isaac Jeffries 22 Mary Elizabeth Jeffries 19 (could be either mary or elizabeth) Isaac Jeffries 3 many thanks shelli

Deborah

Deborah Report 31 Jan 2004 10:57

Hi Diane, There are 172 Griffiths Davies in Wales but none in Flintshire!! Is he likely to have been elsewhere? Where was he born, and I'll have another look. Only one Anne Davies, she was born in Flintshire, but her husband is Samuel. Debbie

Deborah

Deborah Report 31 Jan 2004 11:02

Hi Debra, There are 19 Charles Day's, would you believe, but none of that age, Nearest is 22, but born in Scotland. Sorry. Debbie

Deborah

Deborah Report 31 Jan 2004 11:06

Hi Shelli, Sorry, no Isaac Jeffries, yet. Debbie

Lucky

Lucky Report 31 Jan 2004 11:24

Hi Deborah, I can't believe there are that many!! He is 35 on the 1881 b. Bettws Gwerfilgoch Merioneth. Census place DYmeirchion, Flint. Anne b. Pontrhydfendigaid, Cardigan. Hopefully that will narrow it down. I'm afraid it's all double dutch to me, so I hope the 81 is fairly accurate. Thanks again Diane

Deborah

Deborah Report 31 Jan 2004 12:22

Hi Diane, I'v run out of options here I think. Tried all combinations, and spelling variations. Nearest I could come up with was a 30yr old Griffith Davies from Bettws, but his wife is Jane, and son Griffith 6ms. Do you know who his parents were? I think that's all that's left to try. Debbie

Lucky

Lucky Report 31 Jan 2004 12:40

Hi Deborah, Thanks for trying. I found a marriage for 1870 so they should be together. Another mystery for now. Thanks again Diane

Debbie

Debbie Report 31 Jan 2004 13:15

Hi Debbie Thank you so much for looking, this man is driving me mad I will find him eventually. I even found his marriage a few days ago in India so payed and ordered the certificate, This morning they sent me a letter saying that they couldnt find it and only repaid me £2.50 refund. very annoying. Thanks Debbie