Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

St.Monica's Liverpool mother and baby home

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shannette

Shannette Report 17 Dec 2003 18:42

Does anyone know this name? It was in Linnet lane and I presume it was a mother and baby home as I lived there till I was adopted at 7 months old. I'd love to know more about it and perhaps someone even has a photo?

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 17 Dec 2003 19:42

Hi Shannette If you Google 'St Monica Liverpool' quite a lot of information comes up...

Shannette

Shannette Report 18 Dec 2003 12:07

Hi Linda and thanks for the advice.I'd already looked on the search engine and found plenty about the school and church but nothing about the home.

Shannette

Shannette Report 19 Dec 2003 13:45

nudge

Shannette

Shannette Report 21 Dec 2003 18:30

nudge

Shannette

Shannette Report 23 Dec 2003 18:37

nudge

Shannette

Shannette Report 29 Dec 2003 11:54

nudge

Shannette

Shannette Report 1 Jan 2004 15:18

nudge

Lilian

Lilian Report 2 Jan 2004 00:12

Hi Shannette, You may be able to get some information from Liverpool Records Office. They also have a large collection of photographs in the City Engineers Archives. I've always found the staff to be very helpful. Their telephone number is 0151 233 5811. Good luck, Lilian

Shannette

Shannette Report 2 Jan 2004 15:06

Thanks I'll give that a try.

Shannette

Shannette Report 4 Jan 2004 13:47

nudge

Shannette

Shannette Report 6 Jan 2004 18:48

Liverpool records office were only able to supply me with a photo of the staircase at the home.Apparantly it moved a few times but was at this address when I was there in 1951.

Colette

Colette Report 6 Jan 2004 19:00

Hi Shannette I looked in the Gores Directory for Liverpool 1938 i could not see a St Monicas in Linnet Lane Toxteth nr Lark Lane but a St Christophers Prepatary School for Boys D.C.W Peacock B.A Pricipal. Is this the right area Toxteth i mean and what year were you taking about. Colette.

Shannette

Shannette Report 7 Jan 2004 12:23

Hi Colette--I think the district would be Sefton as I was born In Sefton General in 1951.Does this help?

Lilian

Lilian Report 7 Jan 2004 20:44

Linnet Lane is in Aigburth (may have also been known as Toxteth), Liverpool 17. Sefton General Hospital was in Smithdown Road, Liverpool 15. It is now the site of an Asda supermarket. Shannette, have you tried contacting Liverpool Social Services to see if they can give you any information on the mother and baby home? Ring Liverpool Direct on 0151 233 3000 and ask them to put you through to the main Social Services Dept. Let me know how you get on. Lilian

Shannette

Shannette Report 8 Jan 2004 13:16

Lilian--thanks for the advice. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that myself. I actually had a contact in social services who helped me to get all my records,even letters from my mum. You must think I'm mad at 52 to want this but it feels like another piece of my endless jigsaw.

Lilian

Lilian Report 8 Jan 2004 22:59

No, Shannette, you are not mad. It's only natural to want to trace your roots, no matter how old you are. I am also looking for my roots and I am even older than you! Keep on looking and I'm sure you'll find success. Best of luck, Lilian

Deborah

Deborah Report 8 Jan 2004 23:31

im trying to find a catholic adoption or fostering place in norris green liverpool in 1930 can u help me any one ?????????????????????????????????????

Shannette

Shannette Report 11 Jan 2004 15:05

nudge

SOLADA

SOLADA Report 18 Mar 2018 22:22

Shannette

This may be very,very delayed and you have probably found all the info you want.And you may not subscribe to this site anymore
I was at St Monica's Mother and Baby home in 1966,for 6 months,yes ,one of the naughty girls.I ,however,did not give up my baby.
The address at that time was ,36,Croxteth Road,near Sefton Park,my daughter was born in Sefton General
If you do read this would love to hear from you
Joan