Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

London 1851 census Look ups

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 31 Oct 2003 08:52

Can do 1851 London look ups. but MUST have AREA & ADDRESS, it's not name searched. As it is original copy of enumerators book it would also help to have the name you are looking for, as the writing is hard to read, but if I have an idea of who you want it makes it easier, and if you have the number of the address, that would also be a big help, as often there are a few entries on different page number, or even different cd's. Lynda

Margaret

Margaret Report 31 Oct 2003 13:36

Lynda, I don't know if you can help with this request but it is worth a try- My husband's gt.grandfather was William Thomas HOLDGATE born ca 1825(acc to censuses- Middlesex London - no other details). However, although living in Hull Yks, his 2nd child a Charles Henry HOLDGATE was born 1858 at 21 Church St. Isle of Dogs. Poplar. I have wondered if perhaps other HOLDGATE family members were living at that address, or immediate vicinity in 1851?? William's marriage cert noted his father as Joseph HOLDGATE, occ Painter. That is all I know. I certainly understand that not being surname indexed makes it impossible to search the census without an address, and will understand if you have too many other requests to take a look at the address above. I appreciate any help you are able to give. Thank you, Best wishes, Margaret Taylor (Toronto)

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 31 Oct 2003 14:05

Margaret I Found Church Street Poplar, but unfortunatly it only went up to number 10 in 1851. I did look around the next couple of Streets, but there were no Holdgates there, sorry. If you have any more addresses you want looked up in 1851, please let me know. Lynda

Penny

Penny Report 31 Oct 2003 21:26

my great grandmother was born Sarah Jane Gray she married in 1857 and gave her address as 92 Church St in Bethnal Green ,I wondered if she was there in 1851 and if so who else lived with her as I have no other family known with the exception of John Gray a baker being her father.

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 31 Oct 2003 22:06

Penelope, Yes Good News they were there. The copy was aliitle hard to read so where I've put a ? I'm not 100% sure of what it says, but thats my guess, Here goes John Gray Head Widow 51? Baker employing 12 men Mary Daug 23 Howard Son 20 Bakers Son George Son 18 Bakers Son Lucy Daug 15 Sarah Jane Daug 14 Scholar Charlotte Daug 11 Scholar Tom? Son 9 Scholar Sarah Saunders 19 House servant All the children were born in Bethnal Green, but John and the servant Sarah Look like they were born in Nottinghamshire or Northumberlandshire but can't be sure that what it says. Hope this helps. Lynda

John

John Report 1 Nov 2003 08:23

Please could you look up:- The Thorn family, 1 Triangle, Kennington Cross, Kennington, Lambeth The Simmonds family, 2 Brunswick Grove, Hornsey Rd, Islington The Watts family, 5 Bunhill Court, Bunhill Row, Finsbury, St Lukes The Smith family, 28 Johns Row, St Lukes Many thanks for your invaluable offer. John

Penny

Penny Report 1 Nov 2003 09:53

Thanx this is absolutely brill, Lucy and Mary where witnesses at Sarah's wedding but I wasn't sure of there correct connection. I may contact you again. Penny

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 1 Nov 2003 10:40

John Here are your Thorns James Head 30 ??????? Chandler born Rayleigh? Essex ELizabeth Wife ?? born South Benfleet Essex James Son 11 born Middlesex William Son 1 born Surrey with James Snr cannot be sure its Rayleigh with Elizabeth cannot read her age with James jnr and William cannot read the districts they were born in. The Simmonds family were not living at that address. Nor the Watts at Bunhill Court Nor the Smiths at Johns Row. Hope this helps. Lynda

John

John Report 1 Nov 2003 16:58

Many thanks - are you sure of James junior's age, as the parents only married in 1845? John

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 1 Nov 2003 17:16

John It most definatly looks like 11. I thought when I found them that there was a big age difference between James and William, could it be He was a son of a previous marriage, or that they married after He was born perhaps because James snr was away somewhere? Only a thought. Lynda

Shirley

Shirley Report 1 Nov 2003 22:45

Lynda, Would you see who is living at 79 NewChurch Street. It is either Lambeth or Southwark. The name I am looking for is Porter. Thanks Shirley

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 1 Nov 2003 22:53

Shirley There is no New Church Street in either Lambeth or Southwark. Sorry Lynda

Shirley

Shirley Report 2 Nov 2003 08:57

Lynda I took address off marriage certificate. I will check it again. The wedding was in Newington. Thanks for trying Shirley

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 2 Nov 2003 11:00

Shirley I have the discs for Newington and had a look there but there is no New Church Street. It's a new place for me never heard of Newington in London is it still there? funnily enough the next village to me is Newington, but thats in Kent. Lynda

Shirley

Shirley Report 2 Nov 2003 18:13

Lynda Newington is a parish in London. Many of my family were married All Saints Church, in the Parish of Newington. Thats where I got address from. It is SE11 area Kennington and Elephant and Castle. The registration disrict is St Saviour. I live not far from you in Strood. I could not find New Church Street on A-Z but it could have been demolished. Thanks for trying. Shirley.

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 2 Nov 2003 18:51

Shirley Have looked in the St Saviour District and around the area, but still cannot find it. I wonder if it came just outside the the district and perhaps it's in Surrey, a real puzzle this one, I have looked at 5 discs. I will browse around as I am doing other look ups and will let you know if I find it. Lynda (your near neighbour)

Sheila

Sheila Report 2 Nov 2003 20:08

Hi Lynda, Thank you for your kind offer. Could you please look for my gt Grandfather/mother. They were Charles SKINNER and Emma TAYLOR I have them living in what looks like Belvedire Rd in the district of St. John Waterloo, Lambeth, in 1852 on their marriage certificate. I am not sure whether Lamberth came under London or Surrey in 1851 but I would be grateful for any help. Thank you, Sheila

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 2 Nov 2003 20:33

Sheila You were right Belvedere Road in 1851 came under St John District Lambeth, but I'm afraid there were no Skinners or Taylors there then, Sorry. Lynda

Shirley

Shirley Report 2 Nov 2003 20:45

Lynda (with a y) I have been on Lost London Street names and New Church Street was in Bermondsey. Thank you for looking before. Shirley (your country cousin)

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 2 Nov 2003 21:05

Country Cousin Shirley, I have found Church Street on the Southwark and Bermonsey disc, but it came under Church Street, New, just to confuse me, and after all that it only went up to number 58, so didn't find your Porters. Sorry. Lynda (with a Y)!! but don't really care how you spell it!