Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

family in Mnchaster workhouse 1871?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 5 Jan 2009 10:51

I think my family may have been in Manchester workhouse in 1871, I have been given a reference but not sure what it means!

1871 4064/123/42

my relative was George WILKINSON born 1805 Chadesly Lancs also wife Jane born 1823 whitehaven. if anybody can find then on 1871 census i would be very grateful

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 5 Jan 2009 11:05

Hi Tracey,

Just looking for you, George is in the workhouse but I am afraid he is widowed,

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 5 Jan 2009 11:06

George Wilkinson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1805
Relation: Inmate
Where born: Manchester, Lancashire, England
Civil Parish: Crumpsall
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
Town: Manchester
County/Island: Lancashire
Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image
Registration district: Manchester
Sub registration district: Cheetham
ED, institution, or vessel: Manchester Workhouse
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 1
Household Members: Name Age
George Smith 10
John Smith 6
James Smith 4
David Smith 1
Eliza Stone 65
Mary Ann Smith 74
Mary Smith 27
Ann Smith 29
Ellen Savage 33
Patrick Savage 11
Mary E Savage 3
Joseph Smith 32
Charles Swindell 11
James Anders 11
William Sanders 9
Ellen Sanders 7
Jane Starkie 28
Robert Starkie 2
Jane Starkie 1
Ellen Smith 21
Mary E Smith 5
Elizabeth Smith 3
Alice Scott 29
John Smith 36
James Stewart 62
Mary Schofield 35
Thomas Schofield 30
Jno Wm Schofield 1
Caroline Short 25
Michael Smith 63
Joseph Sherry 23
Thomas Saxon 12
Ellen Thompson 39
Samuel Taylor 26
William Thornhill 86
Matthew Taylor 81
Thomas Travis 71
Mary Turner 64
Sophia Tonge 34
Bridget Tighe 29
Louisa Thomas 38
Ruth A Thomas 4
Elizabeth Travis 50
Mary Timperley 72
Sarah Tooney 85
Florence Taylor 5
Martha Taylor 33
William Turner 25
Bridget Timms 3
Thomas Taylor 52
Ellen Tickle 58
John Taylor 32
Esther Taylor 36
Edwin J Turner 46
Sarah Thornton 8
Susanah Toole 28
Elizabeth Tighe 11
James Telford 67
Hannah Telford 67
Wm Hope Thompson 35
Lavinia Usher 38
Female Child 1 month
Charles Unwin 35
Female Child 2
Mary A Warburton 27
Elizabeth Wilson 35
Elizabeth Williams 42
Margaret Whittaker 34
Mary Whitelegge 55
Thomas Wells 49
Elizabeth Watson 29
Willm Hy Wray 24
Elizabeth Wallwork 49
Isaac Williamson 15
Elizabeth Wood 84
Hugh Worsley 63
Henry Wilkie 35
Charles Winn 45
Joseph Withers 16
George Warden 13
Mary Ward 21
Mary Walker 64
Mary Wood 30
Ellen Ward 68
George Wilkinson 66
Edward Walsh 14
Thomas Wilson 59
Jane Williamson 26
Ann White 45
William Whalley 16
Mary Wright 30
Ellen Whalley 43
Elliott Wood 17
Sophia Withers 78
Ann Ward 22
Augustus Wall 66
Mary Wilson 15
Mary Wilson 11
Patrick Whiteley 8
Thomas Worthington 4

Tracey

Tracey Report 5 Jan 2009 11:18

Thank you Tim. It is odd as in 1881 he is out of workhouse but still says he is married. Does it actually say he is widowed? Finding a death for Jane wilkinson is proving hard as there are so many! I am trying to narrow the dates down!

Thanks for your help

Tracey

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 5 Jan 2009 11:23

Hi Tracey,

When I looked at the census it does state that George is widowed, couldn't agree more that finding a death for Jane is not going to be easy for you.
Have you got their details for 1861? The numbers 4064 etc are the source citation.

Dea

Dea Report 5 Jan 2009 12:08

Re above marriage - Lancs Bmd shows that George married Eliza Kynaston!

P.S. - It is also a good site for giving ages on death registrations, so the death given above for 1864 may be a possibility - these are the 4 Jane's who died in the area during that year:

Lancashire Death indexes for the years: 1864
Surname Forename(s) Age Sub-District Registers At Reference
WILKINSON Jane 0 Adlington Preston ADL/4/29
WILKINSON Jane 35 Padiham Preston PA/10/99
WILKINSON Jane 37 Padiham Preston PA/11/13
WILKINSON Jane 66 Padiham Preston PA/11/4

Total records matching : 4.

Dea x

Tracey

Tracey Report 5 Jan 2009 12:25

wow this is great news!! yes this is certainly my family! I have Annie wilkinsons marriage certificate and she says her father is a farmer! However I think as she married into money she made this up as she didnt want her new family to think she married a publican. Thanks so much for all your help. I find as soon as I get answers it raises more questions - if Jane was dead and George was in the workhouse where was Annie in 1871?!! I am now off on another search!!!!
Many thanks
Tracey

Tracey

Tracey Report 5 Jan 2009 13:34

cheers Peter!

Tracey

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 5 Jan 2009 14:20

There is a Janet Ainsworth Wilkinson b 1860, Preston, mmn Falshaw

Marriage - George Wilkinson to Jane Falshaw 1853 Garstang, St Helen's

Can't find an Annie which matches any mmn of a Janet A in Preston area.

Tracey

Tracey Report 5 Jan 2009 15:54

I think she may have moved to Yorkshire as she married a James Marshall in 1886 in Sculcoates. I cant seem to find her!
Tracey

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 5 Jan 2009 20:20

do you know where Chadesly is? I have never heard of it nor can I find it on google. Do you have the 1851 census which might give a better reading or looked at the 1881 image to see if it has been mistranscribed.

Dea

Dea Report 5 Jan 2009 21:01

Tracey,

Have you noticed that the family were at the same address in 1861 and 1881 - 11 deepdale street?

This means that we need a look up on 1871 for that address! - Sorry - I don't have access to a site which does that but perhaps someone else does?

Dea x

P.S. - I think 'findmypast' would do this but it is 'pay to view' unles you have a subscription??

Dea x

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 5 Jan 2009 22:06

I'll try to look when I next go to Lancs Record office - should be sometime in next couple of weeks. They do have an index of streets for some census returns - as it is a Preston address that is probably one of them.

Dea

Dea Report 6 Jan 2009 11:15

Thank you Peter,

In the enumeration district details it does say that Deepdale St is included in District 70 on 1871.

However, I have looked at all 49 pages and it is certainly not there - It looks like it must have been missed off!

I did get to the Railway Station and there was a Pub next door but it was on Fletcher Road (the other side of the Station perhaps?) and there were some Wilkinsons next door the other way, on Peel Hall Road, but that was a William who was a 'cowman'.........drat!!!

Dea x

Tracey

Tracey Report 6 Jan 2009 14:45

thank you all for helping me in my quest to try to find Annie in 1871. Is a real mystery why they were at Deepdale Street in 1861 and 1881 but not 1871! I wonder if on the census it is Longridge RAILWAY HOTEL rather than 11 Deepdale Str - or perhaps there was a fire or soethng and it was uninhabited at the time. Annie must have gone somewhere!
I am grateful to you all - I am driving my family potty they dont understand my obsession!
Tracey

Tracey

Tracey Report 6 Jan 2009 18:46

By chance Peter does it give his occupation as farmer? Annie said her father was a farmer on her marriage certificate - We think because she married into 'money' and didnt want family to know he was a publican. I think you are right for me to be cautious, it seems strange George was at Deepdale and then went back again, perhaps it was not him in workhouse....so frustrating. I havent been able to find Annie so maybe she was with her parents somewhere else........a mystery

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 7 Jan 2009 08:59

Just found this to explain what a Fustian Cutter is,

Fustian Cutter / Weaver A person who lifted and cut the threads in the making of Fustian, formerly a kind of coarse cloth made of cotton and flax. Now a thick, twilled cotton cloth with a short pile or nap, a kind of cotton velvet. A long thin knife was inserted into the loops and the threads cut as it was pulled through, stretched between rollers. The cloth was then brushed to raise the pile. Fustian is the old name for corduroy / A weaver of Fustian

Dea

Dea Report 7 Jan 2009 09:02

I really think this is them on 1871 - it is only a couple of streets away.

As George is 68, perhaps he retired - he is working as a 'day Watchman' on this one (perhaps a part-time little earner' ?)

Then Jane must have died and he moved back into the Pub with his daughters?

George Wilkinson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1803
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Jane
Where born: Ditton, Lancashire, England
Civil Parish: Preston
Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke
Town: Preston
County/Island: Lancashire
Street address:............................. Aberdeen Street.

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image
Registration district: Preston
Sub registration district: Preston
ED, institution, or vessel: 69
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 45
Household Members: Name Age
George Wilkinson 68
Jane Wilkinson 53
John Moss 35
Alice Moss 26
Robert Moss 5 months

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4213; Folio: 35; Page: 10; GSU roll: 846956.

Source Information:

Dea x

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 7 Jan 2009 09:16

Hi Peter, Scary isn't it?

Hi Dea, I think I just found 'your 1871' George on the 1861, age 58 years living at 7 Kirkham Street.

Goodness. nothing more frustrating and he isn't even ours.....will keep looking, nothing like a challenge.

Tracey

Tracey Report 7 Jan 2009 10:05

this is getting more and more frustrating!!! I am beginning to think that my George was not in workhouse perhaps after all...it seems odd he would move from the pub and then go back to it! I do wish my family had less common names as it would be easier!! I feel frustrated that the address doesn't appear on 1871 census. As I cannot find Annie his daughter on the census either I am presuming they were together in Deepdale Street. It feels hard to admit defeat though!

Tracey