Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone fluent in French?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 30 Oct 2008 23:37

I've found the following phrase which I think may be an occupation
"tireur de greve" Babel fish is giving me a literal translation "gunner of strike" but I wonder if it has another meaning.
Thanks

mgnv

mgnv Report 31 Oct 2008 00:08

A tireur is normally a sniper. Maybe he shot strikers - probably been out of work since the fall of the Thatcher government.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 31 Oct 2008 00:18

It certainly sounds like a rifleman or sniper who's on strike. (Doesn't make sense to me!)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 Oct 2008 00:39

Can you tell us what it's from? Perhaps you can list the whole sentence so we can get the context.

Rose

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 31 Oct 2008 00:42

Ignore Babelfish - it comes up with a load of rubbish.

A grève can be a strike (as in going on strike) and a tireur can be a marksman, but the two put together make no sense at all.

I would guess it's something like a sand quarryman, because grève also means the strip of sand along a river bank or sea shore, and tirer can mean extract. Tireur de tourbe means peat-digger.

It can't be a common expression, because it's not in any of my French dictionaries.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Oct 2008 01:29

I put it in google and it asked "do you mean "titre due greve" - does that help?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 31 Oct 2008 02:05

I googled it and got a photo of a postcard, Chalons sur Marne, la maison d'un tireur de greve. (Chalons on the Marne, the house of (a you know what)
The house looks like it's in the middle of the river.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 31 Oct 2008 04:01

"I put it in google and it asked "do you mean "titre due greve" - does that help?"

No, sorry, that doesn't help at all, it's totally meaningless.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Oct 2008 09:03

ah well, back to the drawing board then

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 31 Oct 2008 09:29

Think it could mean pool or snooker player?

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 31 Oct 2008 09:33

Or even footballer?

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 31 Oct 2008 09:47

the verb tirer can mean to pull to haul to stretch to pull out extract pull off draw print off fire let off or gain
greve can mean shore beach strand or
srike
so it could mean somone who works on a beach and helps to haul boats out

Janice

Janice Report 31 Oct 2008 10:45

Just asked a friend who teaches French. She says it could be a beachcomber.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 31 Oct 2008 12:07

It certainly doesn't mean a footballer or pool player - where on earth does that idea come from?

Literally, it's a beach-taker or digger, which is why I guessed at a sand quarryman.

I'd thought of beachcomber and discounted it, because my dictionaries translate that as "ramasseur d'épaves". However, I've now found a couple of references to "batteur de grève", which does mean beachcomber, so I guess "tireur de grève" might be an old-fashioned way of saying it.

Derek

Derek Report 31 Oct 2008 15:04

Dredger ?????

Derek

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 1 Nov 2008 19:39

I am so sorry to have not got back to you all. Thank you for your ideas. Its on ancestry.fr in some marriage banns transcriptions. (Do you think I can find one example now. How annoying!) I think one of the men concerned was related to my ggrandfather. Now ggrandfathers family run a lucrative translation service on board ocean liners. Ggrandfather married the daughter of an Iron works owner. I wondered if it could be the french equivalent of a hammerman.

There is also another possibility. As it was during the time of the Franco Prussian war I wondered if it was related to the soldiers/privateers who were recruited from the gun clubs in France.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Nov 2008 19:58

well when I googled for a translation, although I couldn't read most of what was on the page!!! I could read "Resistance fighters" and "geurrillas" so sounds a bit like mercenaries

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 1 Nov 2008 22:03

No, Janet, there's definitely nothing military about it.

Ann, those Google translations are totally useless. Most words have more than one meaning, and automatic translators can't tell from the context which one to use, so the resuls are often wildly wrong.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Nov 2008 22:11

ah well - should've paid more attention in French class!!!
I'll ask my daughter in law - she's Belgian, expect she'll know

Peter

Peter Report 1 Nov 2008 22:56

Ann,

I would say that resistance fighters and guerillas were almost the opposite of mercenaries.

Peter