Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Empire Theatre Chatham

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 16 Aug 2010 21:14

l recently found out that my grt aunt was living at the empire theatre at the time of her death in 1941.Is sounds strange to me, but that was what was on the will. She was Beatrice Wilson, and does anyone live near chatham and have access to any library records to see if she owned or managed the theatre? Thanks.

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 16 Aug 2010 21:31

sorry everyone for the message going twice...had problems with the site tonight.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Aug 2010 21:37

No problem, just delete one of them.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 16 Aug 2010 21:38

Is this her?

From Olivier's Career in the Theatre website:

1925 Lennox in Macbeth (Shakespeare). Norman V. Norman and Beatrice Wilson's production at the St Christopher Theatre, Letchworth.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Aug 2010 21:48

According to the ultra-unrealiable Wikepedia, Norman V Norman and Beatrice Wilson were "other main cast members":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_stage,_film_and_television_performances_given_by_Laurence_Olivier

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 16 Aug 2010 22:01

Thanks for looking. l have never seen a photo of the actress in those plays to compare with the one l have of her...so don't know. l saw her will...and thought it odd that it said she was living at the empire theatre.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 16 Aug 2010 22:03

Yes, madmeg, she seems to have been a Shakespearean actor 1925-1929. So may not be her.

Ozi

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Aug 2010 22:09

there's apicture of the theatre here

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2348.0

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Aug 2010 22:16

Ozi, why might it not be her? She only seems to have appeared in a couple of things.

Moggy, when was she born?

It might be worth contacting the two theatres, and even the Stratford theatre. Given that she appeared with Laurence Olivier, she must be on their records somewhere.

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 16 Aug 2010 22:20

She was born in 1881 in bristol. On the 1901 census she was down as an "actress". Yes...might be worth trying . l really wanted to know why she was living at the theatre.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 17 Aug 2010 08:58

Madmeg, I had a hunch it might be her but was playing devil's advocate as 1925 is a long way from 1941.

Now that Moggy tells us she was an actress in 1901 seems even more possible.

Ozi

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 17 Aug 2010 12:05

Perhaps a possible obituary may help. You could email Chatham library to see if they hold old newspapers.

From google this is the email address

[email protected]

Linda

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 17 Aug 2010 22:02

Thank you everyone. Just come on-line so am interested in the library. Didn't think of that. Been onto the site where she was in the shakespeare plays....looks likely that it was her.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 17 Aug 2010 22:07

Let us know if you find out anything about her, Moggy. You've stirred my curiosity.

Ozi

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 17 Aug 2010 22:11

Will do Ozbird. Will e-mail the library tomorrow.

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 29 Aug 2010 20:40

Just to say to everyone who helped me....l am awaiting the obituary for my ancestor from the archive in Kent. The library that linda suggested forwarded my e-mail. Apparently she was married.....that was a surprise...and he was the manager of the empire theatre...and she managed the bar and food. he was an actor too.They had living accommadation there....and he actually died there......2 months before her.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 29 Aug 2010 21:03

Amazing where this hobby can lead you. Fantastic stuff.

Ozi

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 29 Aug 2010 21:03

Thanks for updating us. Let us know what the Obit says.

Margaret

moggyrud

moggyrud Report 12 Sep 2010 21:47

Just an update on this. l received the obituaries from the kent library....and it was her husband who was managing the Empire Theatre. He was an actor...from a theatrical family...and appeared on stage at 6yrs of age.He died of a heart attack in his office at the Empire....and 2 months later Beatrice had a stroke...also at the theatre...and died in hospital. It also said that she was an original tiller girl. Didn't realise that they started in the late 1800's.Thanks to Linda who told me to apply to the library.

Gillian

Gillian Report 7 Jul 2014 02:15

Hi Moggyrud. Your great aunts "husband" was my great grandfather. I can fill in a few details for you. They were not married, well at least not to each other!!!! Please respond and I'll update you.