Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

barnodos child

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Micheal Edward

Micheal Edward Report 18 May 2011 20:42

hello im was wondering if any1 can help me my grandad was a barnardos child and i was wondering if there is any way of tracing were he was origianly from and if he had family

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 May 2011 20:47

Is he still alive?

Gwyn

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 18 May 2011 20:53

If you look on the Find Ancestors board (that's what you're trying to do, right, find ancestors?) you will see a post pinned at the top that gives instructions for posting search requests. It's a good idea to read that first.

It points out that you should give complete information to start with. For example, nobody can help you find someone without a name as the very first thing, then some dates and places.

A Barnardo's child of an age to be your grandfather isn't likely alive now, but if he is, be sure you have his permission to post information about him.

People can't answer hypothetical questions, usually. Your question, whether someone can help you, can only be answered by trying to find the actual information! ;)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 May 2011 21:30

There's a listing of Home children who were sent to Canada here:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html

Scroll down to "Home Children" under "Exploration & Setllement" then click on "Immigration Records Search" and enter the name.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 18 May 2011 21:36

I imagine that's the info the poster has. ;)

To help find anything about the child's ancestors, *we* need to have that info!

This is the direct link to the search page for Canadian home children:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/001015-100.01-e.php

Margee ... I'm just figuring this out ... are you Margee formerly known as MM?? ;)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 May 2011 21:39

Yep, was also MadBull for a very short time but thought it was a bit of an oxymoron being a female bull!

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 18 May 2011 22:15

The very first Dr. Barnardo's home was opened in Stepney in 1870, followed in 1876 by a very large estate in Barkingside, Essex consisting of several houses known as the Girls' village home. By the time of Dr. Barnardo's death in 1905, there were approximately 112 homes throughout the UK as well as mission branches

One branch of Dr.Barnardo's was in Woodford Green, Essex opposite St. Paul's Church. My school used to organise Christmas presents which we took to the home. Later on, I used to help out at the Church Sunday School and several of the children would come across. The vicar who married my husband and me adopted two of the children into his own family. I believe the Woodford Green home closed sometime in the late 1980's/early 1990's.

The charity's head office is in Cairns House,Barkingside (near Ilford), Essex

George

George Report 19 May 2011 07:32

what do you know about your grandmother? could do with her name, birth year and did she go overseas as a child migrant??

George

Lynski

Lynski Report 20 May 2011 05:47

This link will take you to the request information section -

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/who_we_are/history/family_history_service.htm

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 May 2011 15:10

Aargh.

It's a grandad in question.

And if Michael Edward had bothered to read the instructions here before posting, he would have

(a) given his grandad's name and other personal details if he wanted help from us other members (all free of charge and very quck)

and

(b) returned to his thread to thread people's replies and answer them.

So I guess I'll send a PM to that effect.

Vague directions to google this or contact that, to get information, might be helpful if Michael Edward doesn't want to disclose the name, for instance.

If he does want to do the searching himself, we can explain how, a little more clearly than that. He presumably knows his grandad's name and approximate birthdate, and where he ended up. If he passes on at least the timeframe and where his granddad went, we can tell him what records he needs to be looking for, and where to look for them (birth, marriage and death records in the appropriate places, censuses ...).

Micheal Edward

Micheal Edward Report 21 May 2011 22:41

hello guys sorry for the vage ness he passed away several years ago roughly 10 to 14 years ago and was living in borough green when he died he was a baby and was given the name reffold by the people who found him as u can tell i didnt really no much about him or he married a p.mantell (tonbridge kent) i beleive they were born before ww2 any help would be great his name was ted reffold but i dnt no wat ted was short for as he died and my father pasted away in 2003 so i just dnt no were to look any help is much appreciated

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 May 2011 22:46

Ted is short for Edward and it appears you were named after him.

He was Edward W Reffold when he married.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 May 2011 22:48

He married Joyce Mantell.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 May 2011 22:50

This appears to be his birth:

Births Sep 1936
REFFOLD Edward W Clifton Malling 2a 1570

and he died in 1997.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 May 2011 22:52

Parents:

Marriages Dec 1930
Clifton Mary E Reffold Reigate 2a 578
Reffold William E Clifton Reigate 2a 578

Rose

Micheal Edward

Micheal Edward Report 21 May 2011 22:52

omg rose did u just find that out

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 May 2011 22:54

Have a look on FreeBMD.

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

He appears to have had lots of siblings.

Rose

Micheal Edward

Micheal Edward Report 21 May 2011 22:54

do u no what the clifton part in there name is about?

Micheal Edward

Micheal Edward Report 21 May 2011 22:54

do u no what the clifton part in there name is about?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 May 2011 22:56

Father:

Births Mar 1900
Reffold William Edward Hambledon 2a 147

Rose