Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FAREWELL Update Page two**********

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 6 Jan 2012 20:16

Well folks this is the end of my participation on GR and probably family history in general.

I have been diagnosed with a serious eye problem and have been advised/told not to spend hours looking at this blasted screen, otherwise it could be more serious than it is now.

I have been on this site for 6 years and have enjoyed every minute, i hope i have never upset anyone,although, i have been "told off" a couple of times. I have always tried my best to help in whatever way i could, but i will never be as good as a lot of the helpers on here, sometimes i am amazed at the info that is found.

Whilst i do not participate on the General board i always read whats going off and some of the threads i find hilarious when you all join in with the banter.

Anyway can i wish all of you the very best and to all the helpers keep up the good work, you make GR what it is.

I might just pop in until my sub expires in July, but only just to see whats going off, but i am not allowed to keep staring at this screen for very long, i might just post the odd joke.

All the best everyone.

George

Shows how much i know didn't even know which board to put this on

UPDATE 22/3/2012
just to let you know, following ten weeks of of various treatments for the ulcers in my eyes, pills ,potions and other treatments, i have today been told that the treatment has been successful, although my vision has deteriorated a little, but not causing me a problem, so i might just answer a few queries

However because of the nature of the problem these ulcers could return, so i have been told to limit my computer./TV viewing activity to a maximum of two hours per day, but I'm still on the pills and potions for a while yet, still its good news.

Of course there has been a benefit to all the treatments i have received, I've had all the lovely nurses gazing into my eyes twice a week, i must be naive i thought they were doing it because of my eye problem ;-)

Well done to all those who have looked after me during this worrying time for me, especially all those lovely nurses, WHO I SHALL NEVER FORGET.

George

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 6 Jan 2012 20:33

So sorry to hear about your eye problem George.......what a start to the New Year and a bit of a pain not being able to use your computor for long periods, but glad you are acting on the advise of your doctor.

It is always sad to see people leaving who have been part of the boards for such a long time, however as you have said you may pop on now and again......so make the jokes good ones!

Take care George
Annx

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 6 Jan 2012 20:41

GEORGE
I HOPE ALL GOES WELL

XXXXX

alviegal

alviegal Report 6 Jan 2012 20:47

Sorry to see you go George. You, yourself, also did some amazing look-ups and I felt very amateurish(? is that a word?) compared to you. Your military knowledge is exceptional.

The boards will definitely miss your expertise and will be a poorer place.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

Love, Liz :-( <3 :-( <3

Lynski

Lynski Report 6 Jan 2012 20:47

Best wishes to you too, George.

Joeva

Joeva Report 6 Jan 2012 21:16

George,

What does it matter which board you have posted your farewell on - the most important thing is that you have enjoyed your time on GR and that your future holds many, many more happy times.

With all my sincere best wishes.

Jo

<3

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 6 Jan 2012 21:20

take care. Wishing you all the best :-D

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 6 Jan 2012 21:23

So very sorry to hear this,George. You're one of the "good ones"-always helpful ,knowledgeable and kind. It's always been fun working on a thread with you.

You're going to find it tough "weaning" yourself off this hobby,I'm sure.

Much luck in the future and take care of those eyes!

All the best,
Maureen :-( :-( :-( <3

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 6 Jan 2012 21:28

Oh George, what a blow,you really will be missed.

No doubt you will be busy learning new skills to cope with the changes in lifestyle, and I'm sure with your determination , things will be fine.
All the best Lindsey

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Jan 2012 21:56

Sorry to hear about your eye problems George and even more sorry that it will mean you can't spend as much time on your computer or Genes as before.

You will be sorely missed after all these years.

Best wishes and take care of yourself.

p.s. Thanks again for the link to the War Graves Photographic Project. I am so grateful that you put this up before you had to say farewell as I'm sure I wouldn't have found the site myself and the photo I ordered means a great deal to me.

Kath. x

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Jan 2012 21:57

Oh I am sorry George! You have been a great help to lots of people I know, especially on military matters,

very best of luck to you, I hope resting your eyes will help,

Rose xx

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jan 2012 22:00

Sorry to hear of your problems George.

Do pop in when you can as we will miss your worthy contributions.

Gwyn

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 6 Jan 2012 22:23

hi george
we will be sorry to lose you
and a
very big thank you for the help you have given me
hope everything goes alright for you
god bless and look after yourself
lorraine <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jan 2012 22:26

It is always sad when we lose members and especially so if it is because of reasons beyond their control.

I am sorry that you have eye problems and hope that by staying off the boards the problem will not get any worse.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 6 Jan 2012 22:52

Oh George I'm so sorry to hear this. I've enjoyed our Military discussions!

Take care.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Jan 2012 22:54

Sorry to hear you are leaving us but you have to look after your eyes.

One GR member uses a talking computer - perhaps I should not suggest that.

Take care <3

Maureen

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 6 Jan 2012 23:46

Sorry to hear this George. Wish there was a way you could find a way to to stay. But do as doctors say.

Take care.

Hazelx

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Jan 2012 03:29

GoW - sorry to hear of your problem - good luck with that.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jan 2012 04:24

Sorry to hear about your eye problems George, and even more sorry that it means you can't spend time on your computer or on Genes.

Best wishes, and take care of those eyes.

sylvia

ps ............... maybe Maureen's suggestion of a talking computer .......................... :-) :-) :-)

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 7 Jan 2012 05:39

Sorry you have to leave us because of eye problems George. You will be missed.

Best wishes for the future.