Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Martin/ Brown researchers

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Garry

Garry Report 14 Jun 2013 17:50

I am looking for anyone researching the same families as me. Does anyone know a way to do this? On another site which had a Public Members Tree (not subscriber) I found such people.
I have found a couple of members, one is a relative but researching different branches to me. One line is the same but i'm only one step behind them on that line and it seems to be a brick wall after that. The other member gave me info on the Brown family (great stuff) although it did not link us (email only).
All this got me thinking I must have living relatives somewhere, distant or otherwise.
I have discovered recently a relative I never knew I had, hence the research.

Garry

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Jun 2013 18:43

Garry, I assume you have checked other members' trees for matches by using search box above?
Jan

Garry

Garry Report 14 Jun 2013 20:21

Yes I have tried that and will keep monitoring it but wondered if there was a quicker response method as sometimes no one replies

Garry

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Jun 2013 21:49

Check to see whether your contact messages have been opened.......

If you want help with research............post some details

Garry

Garry Report 14 Jun 2013 23:04

Reggie
In the sent messages part the contacts there is an envelope against most people i have contacted. Three have no envelope of which 2 i have had replys, the third no reply yet.
Although I have been a member for a couple of years, events in my life have stopped doing much research. It's only in the last 9 mnths that I have really got into it, so by all means treat me as newbiee. Today is the first time I have used the message boards but have read other posts, so know i'm in good hands.
The members i wish to contact should be researching the Brown or Martin family and hopefully a connection to me with the result of find long lost relatives.
Details:
Henry John Fredrick Brown b 1881, Stoke Newington, London - F: Henry V Brown
spouse m 1901
Jane Evelyn Mary Jones b 1878, Islington, London - M: Julia Maddox
they had eight children, 4 born in London & 4 in Sussex
One of these, Ellen married a C A W Martin ( my grandparents)
I never knew these grandparents as they both died before i was born. I do have a couple of living Martin relatives, but they don't remember much due to the war years. As mentioned above have found a new relative who luckily is researching the Brown family.

Garry

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2013 16:32

Are you looking exclusively for possible living relatives, or do you wish to research your FH?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2013 16:41

Marriages Dec 1901 (>99%)
BROWN Henry John F Hackney 1b 901
Jones Jane Evelyn M Hackney 1b 901

???????????????
1911 census

Person: BROWN, Henry Address: 16 Hannibal Road

BROWN, Henry Head Married M 30 1881 Blacksmith Striker Stepney London VIEW
BROWN, Jane Wife Married10 years F 28 1883 VIEW
BROWN, Maggie Daughter Single F 9 1902 VIEW
BROWN, Henry Son Single M 4 1907 VIEW
BROWN, Frederick Son Single M 1 1910

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2013 16:42

Marriages Sep 1929 (>99%)
Brown Ellen M Martin Eastbourne 2b 222
Martin Cecil A W Brown Eastbourne 2b 222

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2013 16:47

Where does Julia Maddox fit in?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2013 16:53

Deaths Sep 1944 (>99%)
Brown Jane E M 66 Wells 5c 413

Deaths Jun 1959 (>99%)
MARTIN Cecil A W 50 Eastbourne 5h 225

Deaths Mar 1956 (>99%)
Martin Ellen M 46 Eastbourne 5h 336

There were five Martin/Brown births....have you traced all of them?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2013 16:54

Death
Name: MARTIN, Jack Cecil
Registration district: Eastbourne
County: Sussex
Year of registration: 2000
Month of registration: October
Date of Birth:1 March 1930
District no: 4541B
Reg no: B74E
Ent no: 065
DOR: 1000

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2013 16:57

Death
Name: MARTIN, Fredrick James
Year of registration: 2002
Month of registration: December
Date of Birth:23 June 1934
District no: 4541A
Reg no: A86E
Ent no: 104
DOR: 1202

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2013 16:58

Leaving this for now................pending feedback

Garry

Garry Report 15 Jun 2013 23:53

Hi Reggie
Sorry for not getting back to you but an old saying comes to mind - waiting for a bus then they all come at once. Had some contacts one has given me some info, yet to sort, another talking to at present + other GR stuff going on.
I don't wish to waste your time but the answer to your question

Q Are you looking exclusively for possible living relatives, or do you wish to research your FH?

is a bit of both really. I would like to make contact with people researching the same family as me. Also as mentioned before I have living relatives who don't remember much. My auntie would love to know about her family and has already said I've told her more than she knew + supplied photo's which she had very little. So would like to gather info for her and perhaps re-unite a recent lost relative.
Also previously mentioned was discovering a relative I never knew about. She has supplied me with some of her tree which she says are "suggested Trees". My sister knows her and says her tree is quite big and on paper. As I don't know her I am building a relationship with her and hopefully will go and view/discuss her tree.
In the mean time with the knowledge of a new branch linked to my mothers, which is what I started doing, have decided to do some research myself - how far undecided. How far do you go?

Your first piece of info
Marriages Dec 1901 (>99%)
BROWN Henry John F Hackney 1b 901
Jones Jane Evelyn M Hackney 1b 901
is correct 23 Dec 1901 verified by me GR marriages Oct-Dec 1901- 1b 901
the rest of that message - Hannibal Rd etc is unfamilar to me.

your second message
the marriage of Ellen M Brown & Cecil A W Martin is correct - this is a junction for me. My mother was one of their children, Ellen R Martin.

The deaths of Cecil & Ellen M Martin inc references are the same as me except I have Apr- Jun 1959 & Jan-Mar 1956
The rest of your messages are also correct

Jack Cecil have BMD have possible children, one I know was called David b. late 50's, the daughter not sure Lisa?

Fredrick James never married though travelled alot.
Have info on my mum + others are the relatives that can't remember much.

Question - on the bottom of Jack & Fredrick Martin's records there is an Ent no. and DOR no. What are they?

Julia Maddox was an error by me, sorry
She was the wife of Henry V Brown m 1878 Apr, Hoxton - Henry John Fredrick Brown's parents.

Summary:
Have quite a bit of info coming in, which I need to sort through. Just started my mothers side, trying to fill in gaps from siblings of my mother, who don't remember much. With a little help from a couple of other relatives, might be able to give them some childhood memories.
Trying to veify the trees my relative gave me starting with Ellen M Brown (my grandmother) & her siblings.With these I'm trying to big a picture of what life was like (what their jobs were, what it was like where they lived, why their parents moved from London to Sussex. Researching background of areas, maps from various yrs (got links). This will help tell a story to my aunt & uncle.
I have had some results with Ellen M Brown's Siblings, others little success - early days.

Q: Are BMD certificates the only way to get dates.
Q Have just received Ellen M Brown's Birth Cert, but not sure it's correct. Fathers name is Fredrick not Henry. Fredrick is one of his middle names and as his father was also Henry, maybe he was known as Fredrick.
Ordered Cert from GRO without ref no as it is not clear on what I found. Gave all details they required.
Any ideas?
Hope that helps if you decide I need some.
Many Thanks for you time

Garry

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Jun 2013 09:03

What does the 'M' represent in Ellen's name?

Does the father's occupation on the birth cert match other documented info about him?

What does the cert say about the mother?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Jun 2013 09:06

If the age at death for Ellen is accurate....she should appear on the 1911 census.

Do you have her marriage cert?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Jun 2013 09:11

I posted the 1911 census which I thought MAY relate to the 1901 marriage..............your confirmation - or otherwise - is needed.
That's why the query marks were appended

You say that the Brown/Jones marriage produced 8 children, but haven't given any details which would enable a search

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Jun 2013 09:51

The Ent and DOR No's are GRO references

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Jun 2013 09:52

1911 census

Person: MARTIN, Cecil A W Address: 53 Dennis Road Eastbourne Sussex

MARTIN, George Head Married M 36 1875 Coachman Sussex Eastbourne VIEW
MARTIN, Rose Wife Married15 years F 34 1877 Sussex Eastbourne VIEW
MARTIN, George E Son Single M 14 1897 News Boy Sussex Eastbourne VIEW
MARTIN, Regie L Son Single M 12 1899 School Sussex Eastbourne VIEW
MARTIN, Sydney E Son Single M 9 1902 School Sussex Eastbourne VIEW
MARTIN, Dorothy C R Daughter Single F 4 1907 Home Sussex Eastbourne VIEW
MARTIN, Cecil A W Son Single M 2 1909 Home Sussex Eastbourne VIEW
MARTIN, Richard Father Widower M 77 1834 Boarder Invalid Unable To Work Sussex Eastbourne

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Jun 2013 09:55

Death
Name: BONIFACE, Dorothy Cecily R
Year of registration: 1984
Month of registration: November
Date of Birth:6 November 1906
Volume no: 18
Page no: 660
Reg no: 1184