Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Workington burial records?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 1 Mar 2014 19:41

hi
I am looking for burial records for the Church of Our Lady & St Michael. Can anyonehelp at all please?
Pat.

jax

jax Report 1 Mar 2014 20:37

Have you tried emailing the church? or phoning

Our Lady & St Michaels Church

Address: Banklands, Workington CA14 3EP

Phone:01900 602114

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 1 Mar 2014 20:44

Workington in Cumbria?
I can offer burial records of Workington Congregational (from the NBI) :-)

Karen

Patricia

Patricia Report 1 Mar 2014 21:29

Thanks jax.
Yes Karen Cumbria. Is the McGeown family, they were Roman Catholics.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 Mar 2014 08:36

Patricia..I believe they are held at...

Cumbria Record Office
County Records Office,
Scotch St,
Whitehaven CA28 7BJ
+44 19468 52920

It would depend on the date you are looking at as the more recent ones would be still at Church.

Patricia

Patricia Report 2 Mar 2014 10:47

I am looking for the death of Michael MçGeown who died between 1911 and 1961. I have varied spellings of his name and 2 different birth years so you see the problem. He has frankly got me stumped!!

Flip

Flip Report 2 Mar 2014 13:11

Born Ireland according to 1901/1911 census, c 1878/9 This may be his birth:

Michael McGeown
Date of Registration:Oct-Nov-Dec 1878
Registration district:Armagh
Volume:1
Page:43
FHL Film Number:101055

Very few catholic church records are deposited with the records offices, and may not be buried in that church - the municipal cemeteris have catholic sections.

He was a labourer in a blast furnace, so may have moved around following work - a lot of men from Cumberland ended up in Barrow in Furness.

Flip

Flip Report 2 Mar 2014 13:17

He was still alive when oldest daughter died - she was spinster of 17 Pilgrim Way, Workington:

Mary Philomena McGeown
Probate Date:24 Aug 1931
Death Date:18 Jul 1931
Death Place:Cumberland, England
Registry:Carlisle

Flip

Flip Report 2 Mar 2014 13:22

His probate, of 17 Pilgrim Way, Workington - died at Cumberland Infirmry, probate to his widow Agnes:

Michael McGeown
Probate Date:8 Dec 1945
Death Date:17 Sep 1945

Flip

Flip Report 2 Mar 2014 13:31

Widow Agnes still lived at 17 Pilgrim Way when she died in 1961:

Agnes McGeown
Probate Date:12 Dec 1961
Death Date:5 Nov 1961 ,died 3 Victoria Rd, W/Ton

Probate to Agnes McGeown spinster and Kathleen Sydney (wife of Alfred Sydney)

Flip

Flip Report 2 Mar 2014 13:38

death took a bit of finding, but this is the right reg district as Cumberland infirmry is in Carlisle:

Deaths Sep 1945 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McGlown Michael
Carlisle 10b 502

Patricia

Patricia Report 2 Mar 2014 14:29

Thank you so much Flip, where on earth did you find him have been searching for years. I already have the other info, thanks. I would like his death cert is there a reference along with this info? Thanks again.

Patricia

Patricia Report 2 Mar 2014 14:34

Its okay I have found it, will send for the death cert to double check.

Flip

Flip Report 2 Mar 2014 15:01

I found the daughters probate on Ancestry, then it was just a lucky chance I found his with the same address. The death registration was found by just searhing freebmd with only his christian name and reg district.

Hope it turns out to be correct, but it still doesn't get you nearer to his burial place I'm afraid.

Contact the local records office to check the burial records - there are very few catholic registers deposited, but it may be the Workington municipal cemetery and the RO has their registers, also held at Allerdale Borough Council.

Patricia

Patricia Report 2 Mar 2014 16:52

You seem a handy person to know! Try this one - Mary Philomena McGeown was found in the river in Workington, I have her death cert but there was an inquest. Could I obtain a copy of the inquest? I live in Devon so will not be visiting Cumbria anytime soon!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Mar 2014 17:28

Very few coroner/inquest reports survive. Your best bet would be to search the British Newspaper Archives for a newspaper report.

This one?
England & Wales deaths 1837-2007
First Name MARY P
Last Name MCGEOWN
Gender Female
Year 1931
Birth Year 1901
District COCKERMOUTH
County Cumberland
Country England
Volume 10B
Event Quarter 3
Page 594

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Mar 2014 17:34

The only result on the BNA as listed on GR is

The body of Mary Philomena McGeown, 30, of Pilgrim-street, Workington, who has been missing for a week, was recovered from the River Derwent on Saturday.

Hull Daily Mail East Riding of Yorkshire, England
28 Jul 1931

There might be a fuller report in a local paper. Copies might be held by the nearest FH centre or library . They’d probably charge for a look-up.

Patricia

Patricia Report 2 Mar 2014 17:43

Thanks DetEcTive, I have seen the newspaper article but would love to see the inquest report. Did she jump or was she pushed?
Thanks for the help.

Flip

Flip Report 2 Mar 2014 18:27

Cumbria archives are searchable online - and there is nothing for her death/inquest:

http://www.archiveweb.cumbria.gov.uk/CalmView/Overview.aspx

Very few inquests actually make it to the archives I'm afraid, and your only real hope is to find a report in the local newspapers. The local rag would be the Workington Star, the archives are held at Workington library, or the Whitehaven News held at the Whitehaven archive centre.

The old district was Allerdale, who had their own coroner, but this amalgamated into North & West Cumbria - the district coroner covering this area is now David Roberts who you could contact through Cumbria County Council.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Mar 2014 23:06

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1338681