Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which one do I go for?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 21 Aug 2014 11:30

Would appreciate some advice please. I have found what appears to be a duplicated marriage registration:

Marriage of David Hayward and Ann Piper
Sept 1848 Newbury 6 p319
December 1848 Newbury 6 p442

I suppose it's possible that these are the marriages of two different couples, but it seems a bit unlikely, although I can't think why it would be registered twice?

Question is, should I apply for both certificates? If I go for only one of them (to begin with at least), should I go for the first or the second?

Also, if I wanted to look at the parish record for this marriage, where is it likely to be held?

Kense

Kense Report 21 Aug 2014 12:22

I had the same problem. See this thread:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1340418

In my case it was definitely the same couple and I ended up sending for both certificates and was none the wiser as to why it happened.

Probably the Berkshire record office will have the parish records but there will be many parishes in that registration district.
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/newbury.html

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 21 Aug 2014 12:32

KenSE, Did your couple get married in the same church?

I wondered if it might be because they had different religious backgrounds, so got married under both denominations, to keep their families happy.

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 21 Aug 2014 12:35

Now I have read the thread you posted KenSE. the question has beeb answered

Christine

Christine Report 21 Aug 2014 12:53

Thank you KenSe. I have read your thread with interest. It seems to come down to either the first marriage being invalid or a clash of religions. If it was the first, then I would assume that the second certificate should be the better one to go for, but it shouldn't make any difference if it was for religious reasons?

How annoying that you sent for both and your questions weren't answered!

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 21 Aug 2014 13:20

Also are there any differences, even very slight, in the 2 certificates.

Such as a middle name added or removed etc.,

This could lead to a certificate being amended at a later date and a new one being issued.

Christine

Christine Report 21 Aug 2014 13:51

Yes, that's a point, thank you. In that case, also it would seem that the 2nd one would be better wouldn't it?

Kense

Kense Report 21 Aug 2014 14:36

It could simply be a clerical error. Say the marriage was on the last day of September and the form was filled in correctly and copied and sent of to the GRO, where it is processed correctly and put iin the index.

Then at some point in the system someone sees the marriage form and thinks it has't gone to the GRO. So they copy it out again and send it off where it gets processed for Q4 but no one checks with Q3 .

Looking at the page ranges for Newbury: for Q3 they go from 299-323 and for Q4 from 419-451. In both of your cases they are near the end of the range which may indicate a parish name late in the alphabet and is consistent with them being the same parish.

The Marriage locator
http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/
gives Thatcham as an upper limit for one of the marriages

Christine

Christine Report 21 Aug 2014 22:50

Sorry for the delay - couldn't get back to this any sooner. The Marriage Locator is really interesting - have never seen it explained like that before. Think it's probably best to send for the later cert first and then decide if it would pay to order the other one. I really appreciate all your comments.

Thelma

Thelma Report 22 Aug 2014 12:22

Someone on Ancestry already has cert. and a comprehensive tree.
Hayward Family Tree 25052014

Public Member Tree
23 attached records, 35 sources photos
David Hayward

Birth: Feb 1828 - Hampshire, England
Death: 01 Feb 1893 (1 Feb 1893) - Fulham, London, England
Marriage: 30 Jul 1848 - Berkshire, England
Spouse: Ann Piper
F: John Hayward

M: Maria Richardson

PS
17 trees

Christine

Christine Report 22 Aug 2014 14:36

Ooh! Thank you Thelma. I'm assuming, though, that I won't be able to contact them via Ancestry if I'm not a member (just can't afford it any more!)? I wonder if there is any other way?

Kense

Kense Report 22 Aug 2014 14:57

In fact there are many trees with that marriage on. I suspect that a lot of copying has gone on though. One gives the place of the marriage as Stock Cross.

Thelma

Thelma Report 22 Aug 2014 16:04

Christine
You should be able to make contact via Mundia for a few weeks until it closes down on 30/9/2014

http://www.mundia.com/ca/

Christine

Christine Report 22 Aug 2014 20:30

Thank you - have looked at Mundia, but as far as I can see, I could only gain access with a free trial? Unfortunately, I have had a free trial before and you are only allowed one. Do you have the name of the person Thelma? On the off chance that they might be a GR member as well.

Kense

Kense Report 22 Aug 2014 21:46

There are two people on here who have David Hayward born 1828 Kingclere, Hampshire in their trees. They both have membership numbers of less than a million, so they joined early and may not still be around.

Kense

Kense Report 22 Aug 2014 21:55

One of the GR people is called Michael Hayward and one of the Ancestry tree owners is Mike Hayward (who has logged into Ancestry within the last week).

Christine

Christine Report 22 Aug 2014 22:50

Thank you so much KenSe - I have sent him a message!

Kense

Kense Report 23 Aug 2014 10:18

I hope you make a successful contact, Christine.

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Aug 2014 12:34

ANCESTRY IS FREE TODAY AND TOMORROW

Christine

Christine Report 23 Aug 2014 13:22

Thank you Thelma - will have a look