Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advanced Search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 6 May 2015 20:01

I've tried quite a few times typing in a few words but ten minutes later the computer is still searching.

How long does a search take, is this the norm?

Many thanks.

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 May 2015 20:37

It hasn't worked for me for about a year :-(

lavender

lavender Report 6 May 2015 20:43

Not just me then! Thank you for the kind reply, I won't waste further time x :-S :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 May 2015 20:50

Lavender I can usually find things using google if I put in the words I'm looking for followed by genesreunited

greyghost

greyghost Report 6 May 2015 21:33

See this thread from a while ago about the same problem - doesn't look as though it's going to get sorted in a hurry does it!!

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1350086

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 May 2015 21:39

Please complain to GR, Lavender.

[email protected]

I don't suppose it will make any difference, but it's worth a try.
If enough people do so, who knows?!
Include the links to these two threads as proof that it's not just you.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 7 May 2015 08:46

Several threads about this already

All of which include posts saying that GR have been advised, and that they have either ignored the complaint or sent utterly fatuous responses.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 7 May 2015 20:30

As well as any issue that exists I am sure that GR could make life easier for some if they were to give a few examples of just how to use the search engine.

Part of message today to our Community Manager Alison

Herewith one of the threads on this - and it includes references to other threads.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1351786
[ie this thread]
Many folk are not familiar with the 'search term construction' requirements for searches within databases. It would be very helpful if genes had some form of guidance box when a member clicks through to Advance Search. (eg use of brackets, quotes, AND, OR, etc.)

The reply I received

Thanks for taking the time to flag this up - that was really good of you.
I would say that this is a very valid point.
I will add this to the suggestions that we gather and which I pass on monthly for review to my various colleagues.
I will also try and have an FAQ added which might at least reach some people and help them.

Thanks again - have a good day

Alison

lavender

lavender Report 8 May 2015 17:01

Thank you all, I will look into this further x