Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Translation of 2 documents that are in French

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 12 Mar 2016 08:13

Good morning, I have been contacted by a distant Cousin who has asked for help in finding a family and I too am now intrigued.

I have a Rose McIntyre who is said to have been born in Ireland on 10 May 1883. She had an older sister Margaret. Their parents were a Solomon (spelling could be different) McIntyre and mother Annie McIntyre nee Quinn. They are said to have left England possibly Liverpool for Canada. I have found a marriage for Rose and her Internment. I have two documents that are in French, sadly although I studied French at school my translation is very limited. It wasn't my strongest subject. Am trying to trace this family and have started a Tree on Ancestry but only with what I've been told which may, of course, be wrong. Am wondering firstly if anyone could help please with the translation of the two documents if that would give us anything new to go on. I will, of course, have to PM someone with the documents. Any help would be greatly appreciated as ever. I have tried searching the outward passenger lists but have hit a brick wall without perhaps some further information.

I do hope someone can help.

Regards

Kathryn

patchem

patchem Report 12 Mar 2016 09:07

Have you tried any of the internet automatic translators, such as:

https://translate.google.co.uk/

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 12 Mar 2016 09:19

Thank you for this information. Unfortunately it won't translate as the document I have is a jpg. It's one I've copied and saved that I found when searching for a marriage and internment.

Regards

Kathryn

Inky1

Inky1 Report 12 Mar 2016 10:03

I have an Epson printer, but I am not sure if the following is Epson software or Microsoft.

When I click to print I get options, one of which is "Microsoft Print to PDF". Thus it saves what I wished to print as a pdf file.

I have just tried it with a jpg photo and now have a pdf version. If that works for your image you may be able to cut&paste into GoogleTranslate?

I presume that the data needs to be in printed form rather than handwriting. If the latter then you would need to type it into (say) a Word file and then use GoogleTranslate.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 12 Mar 2016 10:13

Thank you Inky, I'll give that a go. Unfortunately I am not too technically minded so don't think of things like this.

Regards

Kathryn

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Mar 2016 11:25

This would be her marriage, the original states that she's the daughter of Solomon McIntyre & Annie Quinn. Perhaps this is the document that you have, it's in French.

Rose McIntyre

in the Quebec, Canada, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1968
Record Image View

Name: Rose McIntyre
Spouse: Philippe Bibeau
Event: Mariage (Marriage)
Marriage Year: 1908
Marriage Location: Drummondville, Québec (Quebec)
Place of Worship or Institution: St-Frédéric

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 12 Mar 2016 11:32

Hi, yes it is, I can make out the parents but am sure there is a part where it says where they came from originally and also it may well state how old she is or date of birth because the Cousin isn't 100% sure that the 10 May 1883 is the right birth date. She also said she was born in Ireland but on the 1921 Canada Census or is it the 1911 one it states she was born in England. I can find nothing on Solomon and Annie in the Canadian records or of an older sister Margaret. Have been trying to look at the passenger lists going out from England but can't see them.

That's why I was wondering if there is anything else divulged in the documents. Have tried what Inky said to do but haven't managed to be able to. Useless me.

Kind regards

Kathryn

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Mar 2016 11:35

And I guess this is the other document that you have, it says wife of Philippe Bibeau.

Rose McIntyre

Record Image View

Name: Rose McIntyre
Event: Enterrement (Burial)
Burial Year: 1926
Burial Location: Drummondville, Québec (Quebec)

These documents are on Ancestry in the Drouin Collection.

Gee

Gee Report 12 Mar 2016 11:37

Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960 Transcription

First name(s)ROSE

Last nameMACINTYRE <<<Irish

GenderFemale

Age24

Birth year1884

Marital statusS

OccupationDOMESTIC

Departure year1908

Departure day21

Departure month5

Departure portLIVERPOOL

Destination portQUEBEC

CountryCANADA

Ship nameDOMINION

Ship official number109417

Ship master's first nameW L

Ship master's last nameMENDUS

Shipping lineDOMINION

CityLIVERPOOL

Ship destination portMONTREAL

Ship destination countryCANADA

Ship square feet16425

Ship registered tonnage16425

Number of passengers786

Edit: She appears to travelling alone

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 12 Mar 2016 11:38

Hi again Margaret, yes, these are the same ones but am trying to get them translated as am sure they hold a bit more info than is shown in the actual records if you get my meaning. In order to try and trace the family back it would obviously be a great help if I knew where they were from originally and, as before, am sure in the marriage document it mentions something about Liverpool. Thanks for your help. Why is Rose listed as McIntyre for her burial rather than Bibeau?

Kind regards

Kathryn

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Mar 2016 11:39

The marriage record doesn't give their ages just full age (fils majeure & fille majeure) It says that her parents are of West Liverpool, England.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Mar 2016 11:45

As for the use of her maiden name, that's the way it's done in Quebec on official documents.

Actually my friend went to visit her sister who was in hospital in Quebec and couldn't find her because she was registered under her maiden name even though she'd been married over 30 years.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 12 Mar 2016 11:51

Hi Margaret, good find but am wondering if this is one in the same as Rose marries Philippe in 1908 but can't make out the date. It seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be though. My Cousin thought the family travelled in 1890 or thereabouts but as I've stated before she could well be wrong with her dates.

Kind regards

Kathryn

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Mar 2016 11:58

This is the marriage of the daughter, it gives parents as Philippe Bibeau & Rose McIntyre.

Anny Bibeau

Record Image View

Name: Anny Bibeau
Spouse: Arthur Tessier
Event: Mariage (Marriage)
Marriage Year: 1930
Marriage Location: Drummondville, Québec (Quebec)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Mar 2016 12:02

Date of marriage was 11 May, 1908. ( onze mai, mille neuf cent huit)

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 12 Mar 2016 12:04

Thank you Margaret, I'll research this now on Ancestry as I have worldwide subs but any information that comes to hand is always greatly appreciated. I find that sometimes another pair of eyes or two or three is always helpful.

Kind regards

Kathryn

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Mar 2016 12:14

The 1911 census says that Rose was born Quebec but the 1921 census says England and year of immigration 1897.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 12 Mar 2016 12:18

Someone has just sent this through to me. Internment paragraph to follow in other posting.

The marriage record basically says: On 11 May 1908, after the publication of three marriage bans made in our parish and in the parish of St Joachin, was married Philippe Bibeau of St Joachim, adult son of Pierre Bibeau and Denise Lord of St Clotilde, on the one part, and Rose McIntyre of this parish, adult daughter of the deceased Solomon McIntyre and the deceased Annie Quinn, of West Liverpool, England, on the second part, in the presence of Pierre Bibeau, father of the groom, and Henri Vassal, and those who signed below.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 12 Mar 2016 12:20

The Internment: On 29 March 1926 in the cemetery of this parish we buried the body of Rose McIntyre who died the 26th of this month age 42 years and 11 months, wife of Philippe Bibeau of this parish. Present at the burial were Philippe Bibeau, mentioned above, Georges Bibeau and others who signed below.

Kind regards

Kathryn

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Mar 2016 12:29

Is this her in 1901? If so it gives birth 18 May 1882, Liverpool not Limepor.

Rose Mcintyre

in the 1901 Census of Canada
Record Image View

View original image
View 1901 Form (English version)
View 1901 Form (French version)

Name: Rose Mcintyre
Marital Status: Single
Birth Day & Month: 18 May
Birth Year: 1882
Birthplace: Limepor Eng
Relation to Head of House: Domesti
Immigration Year: 1890
Racial or Tribal Origin: Irish
Nationality: Canadien (Canadian)
Religion: Catholic
Province: Quebec
District: Drummond & Arthabaska
District Number: 153
Sub-district: Drummondville (Town/Ville)
Sub-District Number: A-2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Henri Vassal 68
Adélaide Vassal 57
Melanie Niquette 45
Rose Mcintyre 18
Henri Poirier 17