Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help needed, missing records ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AliMPW

AliMPW Report 7 Jun 2016 04:13

Hi I am looking for help. I have been looking into my Great Grand Fathers Military records and am now completely stuck.
What I know :
George Pickering
birth date 1884
Army Service Corps. 4th company.
Reg no. M/346772 Previous units RASC M/346772 PRIVATE
1914-1920
Lorry Driver
Poss Victory medal : Roll: RASC/101B241 PAGE 24854 & British. ?

What I want to know is : did he service locally (bham uk) ? for how long did he serve? any disciplinary issues ? when discharged ?

Anything in addition to what I have would be a great help, thanks, Ali MPW

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jun 2016 09:50

WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

George Pickering
Military Year: 1914-1920
Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps: Army Service Corps
Regimental Number: M/346772
Previous Units: R.A.S.C. M/346772. Private.

The record (from Ancestry) should link to an image, but its not. The date of his first entry, if it occurred, into a theatre of war is nomally shown on that.
Added - now have access - no date shown

http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/themedals.html about the medals states about the British War medal
"... essentially the requirement was that a member of the fighting forces had to leave his native shore in any part of the British Empire while on service. It did not matter whether he/she entered a theatre of war or not. "

Victory Medal "This medal was awarded to all those who entered a theatre of war"

What we can tell from the medal index is that he wasn't awarded the 14 or 15 Star. There for he didn't entry a theatre of war before 31 December 1915

Over 70% of full service records were destroyed during WW1 bombing. However, is this relevant?

George Pickering
Birth Date: abt 1884
Enlistment Age: 31
Marriage Date: 21 Nov 1908
Marriage Place: Register Office Bham
Document Year: 1915
Number of Images: 20
Form Title: Attestation

Family Members:
Name Relation to Soldier
George Pickering Self (Head)
??Nah Kinnett Spouse
George Pickering Child

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jun 2016 10:17

The pages are partially burnt & smudged – difficult to read.

He attested at ????ove Park on 10 Dec 1915, aged 31 & 8 months, occupation a Motor Driver
Married (name destroyed) Nov 21 1908 B’ham reg office
Son George b 30 Nov 1908
Permanent address 2 Coos Hill? (later record gives 2/35 Gough St)
Ist joined for Duty 19 Sep 191(7?)
Discharged 2 Mar 19** (later record gives 19 Sep 1917 to report to 51 Hurst St)
Disciplinary actions – he did something ‘during prohibited hours’ 10 May 1918. Further sheet gives a date of 19 May 1918 ‘in the Field’ whilst with the 1st Tank Bde M.T.Coy
At some point as per ‘casualty records) he had been posted to the Tank Corps with a date 17 Apr 1918.
There are earlier dates, but its difficult to work out where he was or why
10/12/17
4/1/18
5/1/18

Extended his home leave without permission 10 or 20 May 1919
Conduct Record dated 4 Jun 1919 says he was sober, intelligent & reliable and conducted himself satisfactorily.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jun 2016 10:57

FreeBMD suggest the marriage was

Marriages Dec 1908 (>99%)
HAINES Rose Hannah King's N. 6c 880
PICKERING George King's N. 6c 880

A tree on Ancestry has linked the following birth to the son George, Since the military record has been partially destroyed, its a possibility

William George Pickering
Registration Year: 1909
Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration district: King's Norton
Inferred County: Worcestershire
Volume: 6c
Page: 433

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jun 2016 12:09

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1360331

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 7 Jun 2016 15:53

1920 Electoral register confirms that marriage:

1 back 35 Gough Street
George Pickering
Rose Pickering

They are later listed at 2 back 35 Gough Street and George is listed with Rosanna

Maddie

Maddie Report 10 Jun 2016 14:19

1939 Register Transcription

Pickering Household (2 People) 2 Back 35 Gough Street , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England
Attach to tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Rosanna Pickering 05 Jul 1882 Female Household Duties Married 118 2
George Pickering 23 Apr 1884 Male Lorry Driver Married 118 1

Carl David

Carl David Report 7 Nov 2016 22:44

Hi Ali MPW
I knew your great grandfather George Pickering. He and Rose were friends with my grandparents and after they died George remained a very dear friend to my mother and father. He stayed with us regularly and we visited him until his death aged 95. We loved him very much. He was a kind, gentle and wonderful man. He told us about his time in the Great War. He delivered water to the trenches in France I think. If you would like to know more about him please get in touch.
Lynda W

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Nov 2016 23:10

Welcome to the boards Lynda.

Its a shame that AliMPW has deleted their account, otherwise we would have suggested that you contact them by private message.

Lets hope that they will rejoin one day, and possibly pick up on this thread again.

We might be able to trace his/her contact details if you wanted to write?

Carl David

Carl David Report 8 Nov 2016 17:22

If you are able to trace contact details for AliMPW I would be grateful as I would like to pass on my information. If anyone can help that would much appreciated.
Lynda W