Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

thought I was doing really well, until....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AliMPW

AliMPW Report 7 Jun 2016 01:58

Hi I am looking for help. I have been looking into my Great Grand Fathers Military records and am now completely stuck.
What I know :
George Pickering
birth date 1884
Army Service Corps. 4th company.
Reg no. M/346772 Previous units RASC M/346772 PRIVATE
1914-1920
Lorry Driver
Poss Victory medal : Roll: RASC/101B241 PAGE 24854 & British. ?

What I want to know is : did he service locally (bham uk) ? for how long did he serve? any disciplinary issues ? when discharged ?

Anything in addition to what I have would be a great help, thanks, Ali MPW

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Jun 2016 11:17

To know how long he served, you'll need to see his service record, but 70% of these were destroyed in a fire.

If he got the Victory medal, he would have to have served overseas:

The Allied Victory Medal, a bronze medal, was awarded to all those who received the 1914 or 1914–15 Star (see below), and with certain exceptions, to those who received the British War Medal. It was never awarded alone. To be eligible it was necessary to have been mobilised in any of the fighting services and to have served in any of the theatres of operations between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. In certain circumstances service up to 13 January 1919 was acceptable. Similarly, women who served (eg as nurses) could receive the award. The medal could be awarded posthumously.
[Source - Blurb under Ancestry medal search screen]

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jun 2016 12:08

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1360332 created 7 Jun 2016 04:13, two and a quarter hours after this one.

At least an hour spent reseaching and trying to decypher military records.
Please don't post the same request on different boards. it can easily lead to different people duplicating the same searches.