Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Understanding DNA LInks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

margaret

margaret Report 13 Nov 2020 10:05

This year I have had DNA results from both Ancestry and Living DNA.

I have only - as I expected- 3/4/5th cousins. I take that to mean we have only great grandparents as a possible connections?

Of the 5 contacted, I can link 4, It is the last one that is difficult.

My great grandmother was born in 1840, and names her father as James Booth on her marriage certificate of 1861.
I have not found him or her on a census or other baptism. prior to this marriage.( Although he is in the Manchester Poor tax list and Slaters Trade directory for 1858-63.in Ancoats. M/c.)

So - there is a link from one of the subscribers on Ancestry with the same surname, whose tree I have managed to see, but non of the people match Margaret or her father James, a Fine Spinner...

The Ancestry tree goes back to a John Booth born 1811 in Cheshire,- in the census for 1841 he is living in Mottram in Longden Dale in Cheshire, with a wife & 4 children; Allan, Elizabeth, Lucy & Ruth.
What can I do next to tie up this link ? Is it possible? how far could it go back? any suggestions welcome.
thank you

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Nov 2020 10:33

Using the tree as a guide check that the research is correct. Many ancestry trees are wrong. Compare it to yours.
The link you have could well from children’s children etc.
You really need to find out where the family were prior to her marriage. This couldthen give you a link to John Booth.

Good luck

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Nov 2020 10:51

On ancestry there is a James Booth, father of a Margaret Booth living in Manchester. Could he have moved from shoemaking to Flax spinning after the death of his wife. He was born in Mottram Cheshire!!!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Nov 2020 11:09

All connected

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1381922

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1375783

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1375714

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1377052

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1388415

Kense

Kense Report 13 Nov 2020 19:46

Don't forget to consider the possibility of an birth as a result of adultery. Ancestors were only human.

This article in the Lost Cousins Newsletter is very good in explaining how to use DNA results to trace your ancestors.

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/mar20news.htm#DNAMasterclass&gsc.tab=0

margaret

margaret Report 14 Nov 2020 16:04

The DNA Link to the Booths is via Philip Kinder Booth, born 1893. who migrated to Canada in 1919.

There are no other Booth links I can find on the several hundred 3-4 th cousins listed as contacts on Ancestry..

The shoemaker from Mottram also advertised in Slaters on the same page as the Fine Spinner so I guess is cancelled out.

My other contacts at this level, turn up in the links to the various great grandparents c 1850, not any further back.
But I am not sure how DNA links works. -- and how far I should look into the earlier records.

I am presuming of course that the father nominated on her marriage certificate of 1861- is correct - and not her grandfather!

margaret

margaret Report 14 Nov 2020 16:06

Thank you for your replies to the question, it is the DNA links that i am not sure about.
How far back could it go?

:-S

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Nov 2020 16:52

Before the world was hit by this current mayhem( and I don’t mean Trump) I went to some DNA workshops led by a well respected expert.
We were told that anything beyond 4th cousin or around 30 cms were not considered as reliable. Anything below that could actually be a very very distant match.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2020 12:09

BOOTH, PHILIP KINDER BARLOW
GRO Reference: 1893 S Quarter in ASHTON UNDER LYNE Volume 08D Page 572

Marriages Dec 1889 (>99%)
BARLOW Mary Price Ashton 8d 765
Booth James Ashton 8d 765

Name: Eric Booth
Birth Date: 9 Sep 1897
Baptism Date: 3 Apr 1906
Baptism Place: Whitfield, Derbyshire, England
Father: James Booth
Mother: Mary Price Booth

The entire family emigrated in 1906

James before his marriage

Name: James Booth
Estimated Birth Year: 1865
Relation: Son
Where born: Hollingworth Cheshire England
Civil Parish: Hollingworth
Ecclesiastical parish: Tintwistle
Town: Hollingworth
County/Island: Cheshire
Registration District: Ashton Under Lyne
Sub-registration District: Mottram
ED, institution, or vessel: 13
Household Schedule Number: 45
Piece: 4091
Folio: 72
Page Number: 8
Household Members:
Name Age
Allen Booth 40
Elizabeth Booth 44
Eliza Booth 15
Margaret E Booth 13
Allen Booth 11
Martha J Booth 9
James Booth 6
Sarah E Booth 1

ALL born Hollingworth except Elizabeth, who was born Yorkshire

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2020 12:43

Parents of Allen Booth born c1830

First name(s) Daniel
Last name Booth
Name note -
Marriage year 1825
Marriage date 31 Oct 1825
Marriage place Manchester
Spouse's first name(s) Ann
Spouse's last name Kinder

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Nov 2020 13:48

Name: Allan Booth
Birth Year: abt 1828
Marriage Date: 15 Apr 1849
Parish: Manchester, St Mary, St Denys and St George
Father's Name: Daniel Booth
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Robinson
Spouse's Father's Name: William Robinson

BOOTH, ELIZA ROBINSON
GRO Reference: 1855 S Quarter in ASHTONUNDERLYNE Volume 08D Page 429

BOOTH, MARGARET ELIZABETH ROBINSON
GRO Reference: 1857 J Quarter in ASHTONUNDERLYNE Volume 08D Page 463

BOOTH, ALLEN ROBINSON
GRO Reference: 1859 S Quarter in ASHTONUNDERLYNE Volume 08D Page 457

BOOTH, MARTHA JANE ROBINSON
GRO Reference: 1862 M Quarter in ASHTON UNDER LYNE Volume 08D Page 479

BOOTH, JAMES ROBINSON
GRO Reference: 1864 S Quarter in ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE Volume 08D Page 445

BOOTH, SARAH ELLEN ROBINSON
GRO Reference: 1869 J Quarter in ASHTON UNDER LYNE Volume 08D Page 473

margaret

margaret Report 16 Nov 2020 09:24

Thank you all for extensive replies.

I think there is little to link to Margaret Booth born 1840 died in 1872 and buried in Ardwick cemetery Manchester.

James the father I had estimated as being born 1800 - 1820. But nothing seem to fit those dates. His location in Manchester appears to have been around Ancoats, but of course that was the area of large textile mills.

I had thought that the link was Thomas Booth & Nancy, but his last child of 6, seems to have been born in 1811 in Mottram in Longdendale- but none named James.

The tree itself was not clear, so I have been filling it in myself before Phillip Kinder Booth.

Thanks for suggestions.

Kense

Kense Report 17 Nov 2020 10:23

This article on Youtube backs up what namelessone said about matches
J
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8-lCy6v4Jo

In particular :
2% of 14 cM matches are false
50% of 7 cM matches are false
90% of 3 cM matches are false

margaret

margaret Report 29 Nov 2020 20:06

Thank you for that information I note that Allen Booth married an Ann Kinder.
Which explains the middle name of Philip Kinder Booth- which is the DNA link - or his ancestors... to me.

I have only 3/4/5 cousin matches becuse I only have 4 cousins!

However those 4 that I have found, are linked to my great grandparents siblings. But I have 4 of the possible 16 missing....

Some people who do the DNA test dont have trees - which I dont understand, but perhaps they are only concerned with ethnicity.
all of my matches are 32cM + which I think is borderline.

Thank you all

margaret

margaret Report 8 Dec 2020 14:33

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread.

, I have decided that on this evidence, the father of Margaret Booth was Daniel Booth. and his father was James Booth.
Margaret may have used her grandfathers name on her marriage , as her father died what she was 10, and she seems from the census to have lived with her brother Allan at 13.

The link in the DNA seem to confirm that the family were routed through the Kinder connection

Its taken 10 years to link, and only with this DNA association, possible, the name being so common.

Thank you :-)