Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Did your ancestors trade in Devon, Surrey or Hertf

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 9 Jun 2007 23:42

If so, I have Pigot's Directory of Devon 1830. Pigot's Directory of Surrey 1839. Pigot's Directory of Hertfordshire 1839. Return of Owners of Land 1873 Hertfordshire. The Visitation of Hertfordshire 1572 and 1634 (Pedigrees) And the Universal Directory of Great Britain 1791.

Willow

Willow Report 10 Jun 2007 00:06

Hi Alison thankyou for the offer, can I have a lookup in the 1839 directory of Hertfordshire...Im looking for a William Pilgrim he was a blacksmith in Welwyn, Herts.

Alison

Alison Report 10 Jun 2007 00:37

Unfortunately no Pilgrim listed under Welwyn, Codicote, Kimpton.

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 10 Jun 2007 01:15

Many thanks for your offer Alison, Please may I ask for a look up in Pigot's Devon Directory for Christopher Langworthy in Kingskerswell...I think he may have been a timber merchant or such like. Linda

Willow

Willow Report 10 Jun 2007 01:19

Hi Alison thanks for looking x

Audrey

Audrey Report 10 Jun 2007 09:19

Hi Alison, Thankyou for your kind offer. I would be grateful if you would look in the Devon Directory for a Richard Darch of Sampford Peverell who was a shoemaker. or in fact if any Darchs were shoemakers in the village. Many thanks, Audrey

Alison

Alison Report 10 Jun 2007 12:34

Linda in Cheshire Under Torquay, Paignton and areas no Langworthys listed Under Newton Abbot, Newton Bushell with Kingsteighton areas. Academies and Schools: Langworthy Ann and Lucretia, East St. Kingskerswell seems to be between Torquay and Newton Abbot. No Christopher advertising though. Alison

Alison

Alison Report 10 Jun 2007 12:49

Audrey, Tiverton is the nearest place listed and there are no Darch entries there, I expect Sampford Peverell then was very sleepy. It's fairly quiet today. Alison

Audrey

Audrey Report 10 Jun 2007 13:26

Hi Alison, Thanks for looking for me. I was in Samford Pverell earlier this year and it was like a ghost village........so quiet! Thanks again, Audrey x

Alison

Alison Report 10 Jun 2007 13:40

Geoff The Visitations of Hertfordshire: No Woodley listed. The 1830 Pigots Directory of Devon Nobility and Gentry: COLLYNS Mrs. 5 Low. Summerland Pl. COLLYNS Rev. Charles H. 1 High St. COLLYNS Rev. John Martyn, Paris St. Academies, Colleges and Schools: Free Grammar School, High St. Rev Charles H. COLLYNS, Headmaster Rev Jno. Martyn COLLYNS, Second Master. That's all spelt that way. Also: Physician COLLINS, Edward, 230 High St. Surveyer COLLINS, Charles, Mint Lane Baker COLLINS, John, West Quay. I cannot find any Cudmores listed in Exeter or Honiton. Alison

Alison

Alison Report 10 Jun 2007 14:11

Chris Hertfordshire 1839. In Buntingford and surrounding areas there are no listings for Norris, carpenter. Bishops Stortford has a Mrs Sarah Norris of Wind Hill under Nobility, Gentry and Clergy. Baldock has a William John Norris esq, Radwell House, also Nobility, Gentry and Clergy. Alison.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 10 Jun 2007 16:14

Hi Alison, Would you kindly look for any Hortops(spellings may differ) in mainly the Holsworthy area of Devon,but they did move around a bit. Most of them were millers by trade. Thank you so much Brenda x x

Alison

Alison Report 10 Jun 2007 17:00

Brenda I've looked at areas surrounding Holsworthy such as Bideford, Okehampton, Tavistock and surrounding villages but there are no traders listed with the name Hortops or similar. I think mostly traders advertised in and around the larger towns. Alison

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 10 Jun 2007 18:43

Thanks for the look-up Alison. It was just a chance! Brenda x x

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 10 Jun 2007 19:56

Many thanks Alison.... Linda x

LB

LB Report 10 Jun 2007 22:19

Many thanks for the offer. Would the Pigots directory include agricultural farmers? If so and you could find any Freeman’s in the hamlets of Meesden or Brent Pelham in Hertfordshire I would very much appreciate hearing about them. James Freeman was my 3xGt Grandfather but I haven’t been able to find him or his family anywhere in the 1841 census. Many thanks Lyndsey

Irene

Irene Report 10 Jun 2007 22:30

Hi Alison. I am looking for Amos - he was a blacksmith in Swimbridge. Devon until his death in 1846. Many thanks Irene

Alison

Alison Report 10 Jun 2007 23:16

Lyndsey I have had a look for any Freemans round about the areas you stated but I can't see any. Mostly those listed would be millers, blacksmiths etc. who were offering a service. There are a handful of James Freemans in the 1841 census returns - are none of them yours? Perhaps they migrated from Bedfordshire or another neighbouring county. If you want to give me more details I'll search for you. Alison

Alison

Alison Report 10 Jun 2007 23:24

Irene I have looked at Barnstaple and surrounding areas and South Molton but there is nobody called Amos advertising in Pigot's in 1830. Alison

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 11 Jun 2007 00:02

Hi Alison. Thank you for the offer. May I ask for Surrey, please? Looking for William Vaus; living in Albury. Thank you. PS William would have been 42 in 1839. May I ask what the Universal Directory is, please?