Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FREECEN Recruiting.....Brand New Thread

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 13 Nov 2006 16:32

See below

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 13 Nov 2006 16:33

Hi Everyone, As most of you probably know by now, I do a bit of transcribing for the FreeCen project. And once again I am here to ask if any of you good people would like to give it a go yourselves. My County Co-ordinator, Carol, is once again recruiting new volunteers for ALL counties. Carol tells me that most counties are available on CD so, if you would like to volunteer, contact me through the site and I will pass on her email address. There is now a Co-ordinator for the CHANNEL ISLANDS, so if that's your area of interest, why not give it a go. And Carol has just taken over the county of NORTHUMBERLAND to add to the 3 she already co-ordinates….Yorkshire, Durham and Westmorland. Basically what is involved is you download a program from the FreeCen site which includes instructions and aids for transcribing. You will be sent a CD (or microfiche if you have a fiche reader. Not many of us do!) which will contain a copy of an original piece from the census. Our job as transcribers is to try and work out what is written on the census and transfer the info onto the program ready to be uploaded onto the site. It might seem a bit confusing at first, but take it from me, if I can do it, anyone can! lol. Your county co-ordinator is always there to help with any queries you might have. Or there are several other GR members who transcribe as well as myself and we may be able to help. I could start up a new help thread on the Tips Board if it’s needed. FreeCen is a voluntary project so you are not under any time constraints. Any time you can offer will be gratefully appreciated, even if it‘s only an hour a week. If you would like to find out more about the project go to http://freecen.rootsweb(.)com/ *Remove brackets* CHECKING How do those of you with a some transcribing experience fancy doing a bit of checking? The sooner a piece is checked, the sooner it can be validated and uploaded to the site. Ask your County Co-ordinator if they need any help with this. Jeanette x

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 13 Nov 2006 18:55

Hello Jeanette, I would be interested in transcribing for the Yorkshire area if you still need anyone for that area? What would I need to do? Regards Claire x

Laura

Laura Report 13 Nov 2006 19:23

If the info is sent to us, I could maybe spare some time? Would love to help if I can.... I have CDs for the 1881 census, GB, and am willing to do others - just can't get out and about so much to go from originals in records offices etc.... Laura

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 13 Nov 2006 20:17

Have messaged you Claire and Laura ;-)

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 13 Nov 2006 23:12

I'm finding all this imformation is brilliant and would love to help. I have some questions first. How much computor knowledge do you need ? Do i need a certain windows thingey ? How do i record all the imformation , to a disc,to a programme. Sorry about the questions but i want to help to do this but need to know if i can ? I would like to do hertfordshire, if thats any help ? Tina

Julie

Julie Report 13 Nov 2006 23:18

Hi Jeanette, Do they need anyone for the sussex area? I would love to help. Best wishes Julie

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 14 Nov 2006 16:20

Tina and Julie.....just messaging you now. Sorry I haven't replied sooner but I've been to York today ;-)

Menai lass

Menai lass Report 14 Nov 2006 16:49

Hello I have just PM'd you. Julie

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 14 Nov 2006 16:57

Thanks Julie.....pm on its way ;-)

Naomi

Naomi Report 14 Nov 2006 19:13

if it's as easy as you seem to think it is then i would like to help.........DURHAM is my area of interest cheers rachie

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 14 Nov 2006 19:19

Hi, thanks for the email. Seeing as it would seem easy i have sent an email to the lady.Now just waiting on a reply.Oh i hate waiting,lol. Tina

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 14 Nov 2006 21:18

Have messaged you Rachie ;-) Tina....you shouldn't have too long to wait hopefully. I have heard that people have had trouble sending emails to Blueyonder but it was ok yesterday whe I tried

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 14 Nov 2006 21:51

It is easy once you get going and interesting reading the census as it gives you a picture of the area and the different occupations although most of the people in the one I`m doing -Horsforth -seemed to work in the woollen trade-weavers , burlers etc, Ros

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 15 Nov 2006 09:15

Hi Ros When I first started transcribing, East Yorkshire wasn't available so I did the Kirkburton area. That was also full of people working in the woollen trade. Now I'm doing a few pieces for Hull and the occupations are very varied. I suppose that has quite a bit to do with it being a port

Milly** in Australia**

Milly** in Australia** Report 19 Nov 2006 13:43

Hi, I know we are about 12000 miles away from Uk, but I have a Microfiche reader and lots of free time on my hands if I can help? Milly

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 19 Nov 2006 13:52

Thanks Milly.....have messaged you ;-)

Deryn

Deryn Report 19 Nov 2006 14:24

I would like to help. I live next door to a church and have often said I should just go ask them if I can put their info on the pc for them! Going away next week-end for a week so please let me know asap.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 19 Nov 2006 14:56

Have messaged you Blossom ;-)

Louise

Louise Report 19 Nov 2006 22:37

Hi, I live in Australia and would love to help if this is possible? Thanks Louise