Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Back up everything!

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tikal

Tikal Report 22 Aug 2006 14:33

I have learnt this lesson the hard way this weekend. My 7 year old computer, (with no CD RW) gave up the ghost and burnt out power source. .......Result no more family tree, no e-mail contacts or correspondence , no more old family photos etc etc. To say I was distraught is putting it mildly!! All those hours of painstaking work. Luckily some data on the hard drive may be retrievable at a cost, but I urge you to please back up your work and regularly too. I will not be making this mistake again!!

BrianW

BrianW Report 22 Aug 2006 15:04

It can't be repeated too often. Although I back up onto a second computer, a very cheap option is a memory stick: just copy 'My documents' onto it once a week. I bought a 1 Gb stick for £23 from Comet over the weekend. That will not normally include e-mails but you can get an e-mail backup programme which will regularly copy the files to 'My documents' so that when you back up they will be included.

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 22 Aug 2006 15:09

Now I am going to sound really thick but this is something I have been dreading happening to me, I just dont know what I should do.... I have a CD RW so does that mean I can copy files etc. onto discs?? If anyone could sort of point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. Shaz x

BrianW

BrianW Report 22 Aug 2006 15:19

Shaz Yes you can (and MUST !)

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 22 Aug 2006 20:12

Thank you Brian.... I will have a go at this and see how I get on!! Shaz x

JosieByCoast

JosieByCoast Report 22 Aug 2006 21:20

I agree DO, DO, DO, back up. Our hard drive went last year and we lost everything, fortunately I did have a few old bits on floppys, and I keep a hard copy of my family history, but it took ages to retype it on our pc when got put a second hand old hard drive in as a temporary measure. And of course I lost all those emails containing extra info and the addresses. Got our new pc now and have been busy redoing my family tree maker, and keeping it backed up with a memory stick, the 128mb is only £9.99 in Argos, and I'm keeping it just for Family History. Got the 256mb one for £11.99 and that's for the rest of the stuff. I'll have to see if I can work out how to copy the emails to it, but so far haven't managed to. Josie

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 22 Aug 2006 21:26

Well I'm a bit useless with this sort of stuff and keep meaning to ask my older kids. I'm starting college next month and will be doing IT as part of the course and planned on finding out there but its sods law that something will happen and I'll be kicking myself so I am going to bite the bullet and have a go... where do I start is the question..lol

Penny

Penny Report 22 Aug 2006 21:30

Re emails can you not create a folder 'family tree' on your email account? thats where i keep mine so if my hard drive ever goes bang then i can still see my old emails. Penny

Lilly the flower

Lilly the flower Report 22 Aug 2006 21:40

Yes I know all about this.....my computer crash about a month ago....but....I was a good girl.....my tree, photos, everything of important was already backed up on my stick....the secret is to ALWAYS put your stick in, whenever you use your family tree, and you will have no worries.....I also lost my favourties Grrrrrr, but I didn't lose my emails, they aren't stored on the computer, so you should be able to read then on any computer, even if yours crashes.......use your stick is the secret.....lol......Lilly

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 22 Aug 2006 21:40

You could use the files and settings transfer wizard or, if you have an additional hard drive (external or internal) chances are it came with back up software.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 22 Aug 2006 21:45

Incidentally, if yopu are running XP Pro it has a back-up utility built in. XP Home edition does include a utility on the original disk: 1. Insert your Windows CD into the drive 2. If it doesn't autorun go to My Computer and double click the CD icon which will take you to the Welcome screen. 3. Select Perform Additional Tasks. 4. Click Browse this CD. 5. In Windows Explorer, double-click the ValueAdd folder, then Msft, and then Ntbackup. 6. Double click Ntbackup.msi to install the Backup utility. The on-screen instructions should be straightforward.

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 22 Aug 2006 21:50

Errol I have XP Home Edition...

Lilly the flower

Lilly the flower Report 22 Aug 2006 21:51

as a after though, if you are flat broke, why not open up a h*tm*il account, there is an inbox storage of 250 MB, and there in a increased attachment box of 10MB.......Lilly

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 22 Aug 2006 21:57

Shaz, if you follow the instructions above you should be able to install the back-up utility. If you get stuck give me a shout - I'll be popping in and out this evening.

Uncle John

Uncle John Report 22 Aug 2006 22:00

Tikal All is not lost if it's only the power supply that's failed. Provided the hard drive is still working you (or someone that knows what they are doing <g>) can install it as a slave drive in another computer. I stress that they need to know what they are doing. Usually the drive has a label with the necessary setup info on it. Otherwise the info. can usually be found on the web. J

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 22 Aug 2006 22:04

Thankyou Errol.... I may have to shout..lol

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 22 Aug 2006 22:11

John and Tikal Have you considered just replacing the power supply (often referred to as a PSU)? It is a relatively easy task and means you don't have to transfer your hard drive. Units cost about £25 upwards depending on what type you require. If you feel confident taking the case off, then the unit is easy to identify - it is a metal box with a fan in it and, of course, the socket for the power cable. If you unbolt it you can take it to your local shop for a replacement.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 22 Aug 2006 22:13

Margaret - plug the memory stick into your USB socket and merely drag files across onto it or copy and paste. When you drag, if there is a little plus sign next to the file then you are copying rather than moving. You can do all this from My Computer.

Uncle John

Uncle John Report 22 Aug 2006 22:19

Smart thinking (for a sheep) Errol. Taking the PSU to a computer shop will ensure you get enough power leads with the correct plugs on. J

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 22 Aug 2006 22:26

Thanks Tikal - you reminded me haven't done a back up for a while!!