Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Competition No. 31,468 (approx!)

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 2 Jul 2006 09:41

So..............who has the largest household on the census?? .....Families with lots of servants are not to be included in this!! (no Royalty please!!) ......Who has the most children still at home? I just saw a family with two parents and 10 children all still together and it made me realise that though many had big families, the number living together at one time, once you've allowed for older children leaving home and deaths in the family, is not usually as many as 12! Only roughly two households to the page..............So, who has the most?? Merry x

Perranmaid

Perranmaid Report 2 Jul 2006 09:47

back later got to check!!!

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 2 Jul 2006 10:01

Hi Merry One of my lot in 1901 has the mum and dad still living with 12 of their children - one already having left home. This is the biggest of my families I have found to date - most of them had around 6/8 children (living that is). Snowdrops

Heather

Heather Report 2 Jul 2006 10:05

Hi Merry I have a household with 14 people consisting of :- dad, mum, 10 children, dad's brother and mum's father. Heather

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 2 Jul 2006 11:06

Beaten again. Mum,dad and 10 kids is my best,but i have got one lot with four generations in the house on census night. Glen

Merry

Merry Report 2 Jul 2006 11:09

Four generations.....I shouldn't think anyone could beat that?! Merry

Heather

Heather Report 2 Jul 2006 15:17

I have George Robert Cheal (my GGF) living with his wife and 14 kids including one set of twin boys. 10 kids were girls. All born between 1871-1892.

Gwen

Gwen Report 2 Jul 2006 16:07

I have a family all living at home with 11 children all boys and Mum and Dad. Gwen

Merry

Merry Report 2 Jul 2006 17:27

So, are the two Heather's winning, with 14 in a household, each? Where is Olde Crone?? (I haven't decided on the prize yet!) Merry

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 2 Jul 2006 17:38

Nope, dont think I can beat that, not censuswise anyway! My large families seemed to shuffle the kids off at every opportunity to stay withGran, Auntie, Next door etc. OC

Perranmaid

Perranmaid Report 2 Jul 2006 21:04

Match the 10 children plus Mum and Dad a couple of times but cannot beat it.

Heather

Heather Report 2 Jul 2006 22:08

Actually, Im out of it, Ive looked again and only 10 kids with them at any one time, not the 14 of them. So my top fig is 12.

Merry

Merry Report 2 Jul 2006 22:14

Aaahhhhh! Never mind Heather....the other Heather doesn't know what the prize is yet, does she?? I've just been delving in the broom cupboard.................. ! Merry

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 2 Jul 2006 22:19

Oh, the prize will be a brand new, still in its wrapper yellow duster. OC

Michael

Michael Report 2 Jul 2006 22:24

11 is my best; the one family I have with 12 kids never, as far as I've managed to find, had more than 8 around at once.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 2 Jul 2006 22:32

on 1891 census I have 12 adults and 1 baby in a 2 up 2 down in Durham. I have a photo of the house Kim

Merry

Merry Report 2 Jul 2006 22:34

OC - How did you know that???? As you have caught me out, I will now hastily take it out of it's wrapper (has a price sticker marked 1s 3d on it!) and cut it into two....then stitch it into two multi-purpose glove/sock style dusters. She'll never realise it was almost an antique! (If you don't mention it, that is.............) Merry

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 2 Jul 2006 22:40

Merry My silence can always be bought.... OC

Merry

Merry Report 2 Jul 2006 22:40

Oooh, errr! How much does it cost????? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 2 Jul 2006 22:41

****furiously looking through the census for a family bigger than 14**** Merry