Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841 - mistranscribed

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 20 Apr 2006 16:39

First one I looked up was spelt wrong but correct on image !!!!!!!!!!! Thought I'd start a thread to help others find missing relatives. Any names that have been mistranscribed place here!!!

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 20 Apr 2006 16:39

Griggs - on 1841 = Greggo

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 20 Apr 2006 19:00

Is it just my family that are missing or mistranscribed then?

corcoran74

corcoran74 Report 20 Apr 2006 19:03

Corcoran = cockerm.

Star

Star Report 20 Apr 2006 19:32

Wiggall on 1841 = Weggall Star

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 20 Apr 2006 19:35

lol - Ancy for Airey lol

Linen

Linen Report 20 Apr 2006 20:13

I went from record to image & my rellys aren't on the image that came up. I tried going forward & back & can't find them anywhere. grrrr Vivienne

Cougarjo

Cougarjo Report 20 Apr 2006 20:22

I can't find loads of mine - and i've been broad in my search criteria but can't find much. Will leave it for another day!! joanne

Clare

Clare Report 20 Apr 2006 20:24

Jennifer is spelt Geniford!!

Kentish *Bunny*

Kentish *Bunny* Report 20 Apr 2006 21:46

Bromham right on image 1841 transcribed as Brombach Bunny

Susan

Susan Report 20 Apr 2006 22:18

Barnacott on image,,,, transcribed as Barnacok... the mind boggles

Minnehik

Minnehik Report 20 Apr 2006 23:25

Some people are never satisfied! Hats off to the people who took the time and effort to transcribe ALL the census. It was a thankless, time consuming, eye aching job.So what if there are mistakes - one only has to use a little common sense to read them and right the errors. To someone who has never heard of a place before and has to make a guess - I reckon they did a fantastic job. Quit the bitching and be thankful we have it at all. After all it is 165 years old.

Anne

Anne Report 20 Apr 2006 23:49

I agree with Joan. I have looked at some pages which I knew were really faint and they have done a fantastic job with them. I am sure there will be many other pages which were impossible to enhance ........... thats probably why I can't find the two people I was most hoping to!! Anne

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 21 Apr 2006 00:17

Meeson = Merson Boyard = Byeard for anyone else that might be looking for those names Linda

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Apr 2006 00:21

I think the transcribers have done very well - some of the pages are virtually illegible. But I've found Shilt for Shill Chonus for Chowns I've also found Barns for Barnes, but that was a mistake on the original census sheet! At least I've found them. My mystery William Gray in Norfolk is still missing and the dodgy London rellies my husband has are determined not to be anywhere. nell

Carrie

Carrie Report 21 Apr 2006 00:23

1841 Sims = Linos Sims = Siever so far! BUT i still found them pretty easily. And enjoying every single bit of it errors and all, I'm a really happy bunny tonight :0)

Susan

Susan Report 21 Apr 2006 00:29

Sorry Joan I am not winging just saying anyone looking for that family, it is miss transcribed I would love to have a go at transcribing but know my skills at reading the census is not yet up to scratch.

Julia

Julia Report 21 Apr 2006 00:39

Toswell transcribed as Tosbell in Gt Maplestead

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 21 Apr 2006 06:47

not on image at all or followingg pages

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 21 Apr 2006 09:19

Glad to see now I'm not the only one :-) This wasn't started as a bitching thread - it's on the tips board - it was put on to try & help others find their missing relatives with some tips!!! Penny