Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Time to put your tree on another site?

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 29 Mar 2006 13:22

I think with all the problems we have been having recently with this site it is time to make sure your tree is backed up on another site.

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Mar 2006 13:40

I sincerely hope that no-one is daft enough to only have their Family Tree on here. There are Family History Programmes like PAF freely downloadable. Remember the Computer Users' Litany Backup, Backup, Backup, Backup, Backup, Once its gone its lost forever, like great aunt Maud's memories.

Durham

Durham Report 29 Mar 2006 13:42

GOOD POINT TO MAKE!!! I STOPPED ADDING TO MY TREE ON G.R. A WHILE BACK AND NOW HAVE IT SAFELY ON ANOTHER SITE. CHEERS --PAM--

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 29 Mar 2006 13:48

Which other sites are there? I am sick of all the bitching on this one.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 29 Mar 2006 13:51

Tribal Pages is a good place to store your tree. I'd also suggest a Gedcom backup. Back up as many places as you can.

LindaG

LindaG Report 29 Mar 2006 13:54

My master copy is in FTM on my PC. I backup by copying the database to my Memory Stick every time a change it (usually 2-3 times a week) The GR version is updated from a modified (to remove the living rellies) version of the master which I export to GEDCOM and then Import to GR. L

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 29 Mar 2006 14:40

Hi Tracy How you doing?? I have FTM but wondered what other sites there are-----will try tribal pages thanks for that. And yes it's a good idea to back up I too use a flash drive to back up to also save to disc.

Fred (“\(*-*)/”)

Fred (“\(*-*)/”) Report 29 Mar 2006 16:35

Might be over the top, but I print all my info as well, can't beat a hardcopy backup.

Derek

Derek Report 29 Mar 2006 16:48

Wise words. Everyone should have their master copy on their own PC. I use Family Historian, which makes a back up each time you close it. I also have back ups on a dedicated memory stick, on CD ROM and a full version in my PDA courtesy of Pocket Genealogist. Can't be too careful, there's a lot of work gone into your trees. Derek

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 29 Mar 2006 17:07

Excuse the duplication - I posted this question on another thread yesterday, but didn't get any answers, so I wondered if somebody here might know: Has anyone else had problems with exports? I exported my tree for the first time yesterday, but when I imported the gedcom into PAF5 it came up with 300 errors! It seems to be mostly parts of the 'extra details' tabs that are missing.

Anne in North London

Anne in North London Report 29 Mar 2006 20:17

Nudge to keep info! Many Thanks Anne in North London.

Claire

Claire Report 29 Mar 2006 20:22

How much info can a memory stick hold? Can you just keep writing over it every time you update your tree? I agree that back up is very important but I don't have a cd rewriter and floppy disk so soooo slow, plus I have to use two disks to get all the info on! Claire xx

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 29 Mar 2006 21:07

Personally, I wouldnt put my tree on another Site as I am concerned about how my information might be used. I have a hard copy, off line. Olde Crone

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 29 Mar 2006 21:13

Mary I had the same trouble lots of names just disappeared and I did at the time get a error message saying there might be a problem with it after I had done it !!!! It seems to be a regular problem

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 29 Mar 2006 21:35

Olde Crone, Please take a look at Tribal pages, you can password protect your tree on there if you want so no-one gets to see your tree without your knowledge.

Ann

Ann Report 29 Mar 2006 21:42

I only have my tree on here, but have it backed up on a disc. I have a PAF file and i have been trying to export my tree from here Must be doing something wrong as i am still waiting after about three hours. Ann

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 29 Mar 2006 21:44

Thank you Annie and everyone. I have put my tree on Tribal pages. Suzanne X

Mo in London

Mo in London Report 29 Mar 2006 21:44

I use FTM 2006, but also export from genes and save it on my email, as an extra backup. I recently bought a memory stick and have been saving FTM on that. The sticks are quicker to use and you can just overwrite a previous file.

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 29 Mar 2006 21:47

Hi, The person who said 'Backup, backup, backup' is indeed a wise person. I have witnessed tears when people have lost their files, whether it be business, school, college or personal work. I use Legacy Family Tree Deluxe 6 which was a free download from www. legacyfamilytree.com It has some restrictions but I like it and I will probably buy the unrestricted version very soon. Again you can import /export Gedcom files and several other file types. Most home computers now have CD writers so my backup goes onto CD of which I keep two copies. I'd hate to have to start all over again,. The time I have invested into building my tree has been considerable. If I was married the wife would have divorced me by now. Cheers Paul

LindaG

LindaG Report 29 Mar 2006 22:18

To those who seem afraid... Think of a memory stick as a large but more reliable floppy disk. It is easy to overwrite files. It is portable, mine lives on my keyring and it is not expensive (I just bought an Imation 256 Megabyte stick for £12 for my daughter to use at school. I chose it because it doesn't have a detachable/loseable lid!) All you need to do is plug it into your PC's USB socket. If you are running Windows XP, it will automatically install and you can see it using 'My Computer' L