Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TIPS NEEDED! 1947 birth but mother a mystery!

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

xHeyJudex

xHeyJudex Report 24 Feb 2006 20:39

My mum was born Derby 3a in 1947. Her father Stanley Armstrong birth cert states mother as Joyce Armstrong formerley REID. My mum never knew Joyce as she left her when she was a few weeks old? Her father brought her up alone. He died in the 1980's . He was aparantly born in Chilton Durham. I don't like to ask mam too many questions regarding her side of the family as this upsets her although she is interested in the research I have done on my late father's side back to 1605. She was told as a teen that Joyce was in prison for bigamy? Remarried and has another family. All the gossip you can think of. I can't locate a marriage of Joyce and Stanley. Where do I start?! It's probably obvious but touchy subject etc what's the best way to go? THIS IS NOT TO REUNITE! This is family HISTORY only.

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Feb 2006 20:53

It's possible that Joyce & Stanley weren't married, but just pretended, so there won't be a marriage record. I think this is going to be tough to sort out. Any idea how old Joyce was when she had your Mum? nell

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 24 Feb 2006 20:55

does it give a nee name as well or just 'formerly'?

Thelma

Thelma Report 24 Feb 2006 20:58

You can search for a marriage here. Start in 1947 and work back. http://www.ancestry.*co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx (remove * )

xHeyJudex

xHeyJudex Report 24 Feb 2006 21:28

No idea regarding Joyce's age! The birth cert says: Father reg birth, Joyce Armstrong formerley Reid no Nee or any other names. She was born Women's Hospital. Stanley address given as '93 Nuttalls Park Ripley as per declaration dated 17th October 1947'. Mum was born 15th and reg the 20th so what declaration will it be that was dated the 17th? looked on other certs and they don't have this written in the sig. descrip & residence of informant box! Thanks to you all! I am currently using that ancestry site you mention tried with Stanley - no look. Now trying Joyce! ANYMORE TIPS?

Pippa

Pippa Report 24 Feb 2006 21:32

You can register a birth at a different register office from the district that the birth took place by declaration. Example: My Dad's wife had a daughter born in Nottingham but went to Ilkeston Register Office to register the birth by declaration but the birth is registered and is shown as such in Nottingham Registration District. Hope that helps a little

Merry

Merry Report 24 Feb 2006 21:36

Formerly means the same thing as nee....so she is saying her maiden surname is Reid. Merry

Merry

Merry Report 24 Feb 2006 21:38

Is it possible to be more accurate about Stanley Armstrong's death?? if he died after 1983 then his death may be easily traceable on Ancestry (and his death reg should give his date of birth which would help with going back on his side). If you know where he died too, that would help! Merry

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 24 Feb 2006 21:40

Might be prepared to argue 'formerly' and 'Nee' as being one and the same, Merry-i dont agree!! jess x

xHeyJudex

xHeyJudex Report 24 Feb 2006 21:44

Pippa thanks but not sure what I can take from that with not knowing that area! Why would they reg in another area? Reg district states DERBY sub dist DERBY NORTH WEST in the COUNTY BOR. OF DERBY. Women's hospital v.d. she was born in, and address was given as RIPLEY v.d. Marriage was proabably a lie by the looks of things. Just hope her name was the truth at least!

Merry

Merry Report 24 Feb 2006 21:46

I just mean on a cert - not the definition of the words. ''Formerly'' is the word used to describe the maiden surname......if the woman has been married before, then any previous married surname will be described as ''late''. Well, That's how it is on every cert I have!! But I can't pretend I've read anything about it :o(( Merry

xHeyJudex

xHeyJudex Report 24 Feb 2006 21:48

Merry Stanley died in Shildon, Co Durham. The year is bet 1983-1989. Need to see if mam will discuss it I can't remember would have been in primary school then!

Merry

Merry Report 24 Feb 2006 21:50

Where is Shildon?? Merry

Pippa

Pippa Report 24 Feb 2006 21:52

As I thought. Ripley is in Belper Registration District and Derby is Derby Registration District. So the poor father after smoking his cigars waiting for the child to be born probably totted off and 2 days later woke up one morning and thought I must register the birth. So from home he popped to the nearest Register Office to do the deed and then went to the hosptial to see mother and child not realising the puzzle he would leave for you.

Merry

Merry Report 24 Feb 2006 21:56

Is Shildon in County Durham?? There are these deaths.....You would need to use 1837online to get the actual GRO references (and there are none for 1983 here, because this bit of index begins in 1984!!) Name Death Registration Month/Year Birth Date District County Stanley Armstrong Jan 1986 5 Nov 1912 Durham Western Durham Stanley Armstrong Apr 1989 31 Jul 1908 Durham Northern Durham Stanley Armstrong Jun 1991 20 Dec 1909 Durham Western Durham Stanley William Armstrong Nov 2000 16 Mar 1927 Durham Central Durham Might be the first or second maybe?? Merry

xHeyJudex

xHeyJudex Report 24 Feb 2006 21:59

Shildon is in county Durham. Mum was brought up in Spennymoor Co Durham and her father ap. born Chilton in Co Durham. His Occ was coal miner so maybe that's why he was in Ripley? Mum can never remember being there.

Merry

Merry Report 24 Feb 2006 22:02

If Stanley was born in Chilton, Co. Durham, I can't see a birth reg in Sedgefield District (which covers Chilton) to match either of those first two dates of birth given on the death regs.......:o(( Merry

xHeyJudex

xHeyJudex Report 24 Feb 2006 22:03

THANKS MERRY! the first one looks good. I remember as a young child my mum used to sing a song about granda and bonfire night and I had thought he was Guy Fawlkes!! But she had said it was his birthday!

Merry

Merry Report 24 Feb 2006 22:06

OOps, right OK........I just checked 1983 and there were NO Stanley Armstrong deaths that year at all...... Will look harder for the first birth entry..... Merry

xHeyJudex

xHeyJudex Report 24 Feb 2006 22:10

He may have only lived there nothing certain with regards to Chilton!