Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If I see another ag lab...........!!

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 11 Jul 2005 15:27

Several people on GR have Her Majesty the Queen on their tree. As I'm getting fed up with my ag labs, I wondered........ ''What V.I.P. do you have on your tree?'' Happy Hunting - Sarah - PS Bragging is allowed on this thread!

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 11 Jul 2005 16:09

More ag. Labourers and a few Labourers. No rocket scientists

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jul 2005 16:51

Sarah Please don't be ashamed of your ag labs - they were providing food for the nation, a vital task. Mine all tended to be ag labs too, or just occasionally, railway labourers, or just labourers. I have some marsh labourers up in Norfolk. I also have a parish beadle - very versatile chap. He started as a gentleman's servant/butler, then ran a lodging house, and then worked as beadle/vestry messenger/assistant overseer of the poor and coroner's officer. nell

Merry

Merry Report 11 Jul 2005 17:01

Not ashamed, just giving others an opportunity to brag without embarrassment!! (In fact I have a sixth cousin (mutual rellie born c1700) who is third cousin to HM, but I'm keeping that quiet at the mo!!) Sarah

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 11 Jul 2005 17:40

one of the ag labs I'm directly descended from had a 2nd cousin who was a Groom of the Privy Chamber, whatever that was. Doesn't sound too pleasant. But it goes to show that an ag lab could be quite close to the palace. Their common g-gf was a vicar - his daughters married well but his sons died poor. The vicar had a great-uncle who owned and traded slaves. Not in the colonies, in Southampton. Ouch

Elly

Elly Report 11 Jul 2005 17:48

Hi I got lots of Ag Labs too, and railway workers and loads of Shoe trade workers, Best I can do are Butcher and Inn Keeper - just need a candlestick maker now :) Elly

Merry

Merry Report 11 Jul 2005 18:00

Who can do Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy??!! Or Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, richman, poorman, beggarman, thief??? Ooh, I've got them all (sort of!) except Spy! lol Sarah

Paul

Paul Report 11 Jul 2005 18:06

Hi Has anyone actually found anyone famous (or VIPish) on the censuses? Did the royals have to take part ? P.

Merry

Merry Report 11 Jul 2005 18:11

I have seen the real Queen Victoria on one of the census returns, but can't find her at the mo....... Don't think this is her!: Victoria Jun, Queen abt ?? Westgate Northumberland It's actually a pub that has been enumerated by mistake! Sarah

Merry

Merry Report 11 Jul 2005 18:13

There's this rather unfortunate transcript on the 1861: His Royal Highness Punie Alfred abt 1844 England Midshipman Vessels Royal Navy Sarah

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jul 2005 18:53

Royals are on the census, which is just as well if one of your rellies was an under-parlour maid or some such for them. I've found Florence Nightingale before now. Just go to www.familysearch.org and put in a famous Victorian who was still alive. nell

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 11 Jul 2005 19:05

quite easy to find Victoria in 1861, by searching for Albert. To find Albert, don't bother with a name, age or place, just say Husband for Relationship to Head of Household

Merry

Merry Report 11 Jul 2005 19:30

Oh I rather like that! Victoria R abt 1820 Kensington, Middlesex, England Head Whippingham Hampshire Albert abt 1820 Coburg British Subject, Germany Husband Whippingham Hampshire Sarah

Paul

Paul Report 11 Jul 2005 19:41

Occupation - The Sovereign ! Very Good :)

Michael

Michael Report 11 Jul 2005 19:58

Apparently I have an ancestor who was king of Dyfed in the 11th century, but it's downhill from there - sailors, miners, bakers, cobblers... The Queen Mum appears on the 1901 census, aged about 6 months.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Jul 2005 20:16

I've got plenty of Coal Miners, and a few woollen weavers. One ancestor was a parish clerk, churchwarden, constable, and overseer of highways. My wife has a carter, probably a white van driver in today's parlance, and lays claim to being descended from Sir Lewis Baggott, who apparently served his country at the Field of the Cloth of Gold in France, 1513.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 11 Jul 2005 23:18

I'm very relieved that my 19th century ancestors were, almost to a man, ag labs. After all, tis me who has a Beaver Blower amongst my ancestors.

Merry

Merry Report 11 Jul 2005 23:21

As if we could forget Old Crone!! My hubby's rellie was ''Urinal Cleaner for the Parish'' in 1881 in St Pancras. Now, there's a job to aim for lol Sarah

Sue

Sue Report 12 Jul 2005 12:39

No VIPs but plenty of Ag Labs was so happy the other day to find a new job description - Vermin Killer.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 12 Jul 2005 14:14

Had one who on his marriage cert claimed that his father was a veterinary surgeon. However, this was evidently rather embellished, as when I finally located the father on the census, he was a blacksmith! Well I guess that at least he worked with animals!