Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has genes gone up in price £9.50 nearly 100% rise

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 23 Feb 2005 22:45

My cousin was going to join tonight but the price she found is now £9.50. Has anyone else found this. Last year when I renewed my sub it was £7.50 it had only just gone up from £5.00, I thought that bad enough this is nearly 100% rise in under a year.

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Feb 2005 22:48

Someone mentioned the other day that it had cost them £9.50 to renew their membership but not sure when it went up Lou

JG70

JG70 Report 23 Feb 2005 22:50

That's a cheek!! I suppose less people will join and resubscribe. It's like how it's so expensive now to get your haircut (if you're female that is) you just go half as much as you used to - so they're worse off!! Jacquie

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 23 Feb 2005 22:53

I renewed 2 weeks ago and it was the same price-maybe for new members it`s gone up.-still a bargain though! Rosalyn

Gail

Gail Report 23 Feb 2005 22:53

I renewed mine at the beginning of February.....it was £7.50. Gail.

The Bag

The Bag Report 23 Feb 2005 22:55

It seems renewal of existing membership is £7.50, new members pay £9.50 Hey, what can you get for £10 these days - its a bargain! Jess

Irene

Irene Report 23 Feb 2005 22:59

A Bargain for Genes when you think it cost £5.00 a year ago. Who does the work we do, I stopped doing so much after the last increase I was too busy, and I didn't think I wanted to spend anymore money seeing as I had paid an increase anyway. When you think of all the .10 here and there helping people to look on 1837 etc. But they do have you over a barrel, if you don't rejoin then how do you get any messages from the names search if someone wants to contact you. Well they lost customer anyway, how many more will there be if they keep increasing the price. Irene

Julie

Julie Report 23 Feb 2005 23:10

I still think its a bargain, without this site i would never have been contacted by my 4th cousin. Also people on here have been very kind and helpful. Plus reading the boards ive learnt something new every day. Julie

~˜Kim in

~˜Kim in Report 23 Feb 2005 23:14

i joined 2/2/05 i paid £9.50 kimx

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 23 Feb 2005 23:17

I agree-I also found a 3rd cousin on here with funnily enough a similar maiden name to mine -ROSEMARY RATTRAY and mine was ROSALYN RATTRAY! Rosalyn

Lucky

Lucky Report 23 Feb 2005 23:59

I agree that the price is reasonable, but I belong to other sites which are free, and do not have the restrictions as you have on here regarding posting websites links for people to see. Also if they have to double the sub can't they use some of it on the technical side to make the site faster. I quite often give up and log off and I'm on broadband.

Penny

Penny Report 24 Feb 2005 00:23

i renewed my membership this week and it cost me £7.50 maybe its more to join. penny

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 24 Feb 2005 04:21

If it wasn't for Genes Reunited I would never have started reseaching my tree. I think it is a bargain. There are so many lovely people on here willing to help. Priceless.

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 24 Feb 2005 08:14

£9-50, thats not bad. think how much we would spend if we had more time to shop! I am saving a fortune lol. Marion

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 24 Feb 2005 08:20

I don't think it should be raised at all. It's like the GR people are the ones doing all the look ups. They get that for free.... and now they want more profit. I don't want the money that they're offering as payment or anything, I just think that they realise they have it easy and are milking it for all it's worth.

Peter

Peter Report 24 Feb 2005 08:48

I will not be renewing my membership at that price. It is bad enough that the service is unusable most of the time because it is so slow when paying £5.00, but to pay £9.50 for a service that is getting worse as time goes on is nothing short of extortion.

Smiley

Smiley Report 24 Feb 2005 08:59

I renewed a couple of minutes ago, £7.50. I do not have any friends/family that are half as passionate about this hobby as myself..... except you lot :-) I 'pop' in most days, so that costs me around 2p.. No grumbles from me, I'm having too much fun ;) Sam

Helen

Helen Report 24 Feb 2005 09:06

I think it's cheap. A night out a the pictures would cost more. We have a good laugh, make new friends and even sometimes add a few twigs to our trees. Not bad for the money.

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 24 Feb 2005 09:17

It seems to me that far too many people expect everything on the internet to be free - thats not just sites like these but any programs etc they download. Personally i think 9.50 a year is peanuts to pay - and no, i am not rich. lol And ok, yes they could do with improving and speeding up the site but it is because it is so popular that it is slow - and arent we grateful for that? I have made lots of contacts and connections on here and thru those, got lots of help and information for my tree. Sue

Joy

Joy Report 24 Feb 2005 10:46

Renewal is £7-50. To join is dearer. :) Joy