Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Most Amusing Remedies......The Old Fashioned Way

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 25 Sep 2004 22:38

Found in a book published in the late 1800's, see below (am not a very quick typist so might be a few minutes before it's posted!)

June

June Report 25 Sep 2004 22:46

Headache, from the heat To prevent heat affecting the head in summer, place a cabbage leaf or a large lettuce leaf under your hat, it will keep your head cool Headache, chronic, Keep your feet in warm water a quarter of an hour before you go to bed, for two or three weeks. OR Wear tender hemlock leaves under your feet, changing them daily. OR Order a tea-kettle of cold water to be poured on your head every morning, in a slender stream. OR Be electrified OR Snuff up the nose camphorated spirits of lavendar, or a little of horseradish. Thankgoodnes for modern medicine!!!! June

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Sep 2004 22:49

blimey - these lettuce leaves were used for a lot of things werent they? they cured ptomaine poisoning too.

Wifey

Wifey Report 25 Sep 2004 22:50

Hi, I haven't laughed so much in ages!! Thanks Paula;-}}

June

June Report 25 Sep 2004 22:50

Theres more to come lol

Carole

Carole Report 25 Sep 2004 22:51

I'm going to Las Vegas next week. Do you think anyone will notice if I walk around with a lettuce leaf under my cap? Carole

June

June Report 25 Sep 2004 22:59

Cures for Ear Ache Rub the ear hard for a quarter of an hour OR Be electrified (someone must have had shares in Powergen) OR Put in a roasted fig, or onion, as hot as may be. OR Blow the smoke of tobacco strongly into it. Ear Ache from Worms Drop in warm milk which brings them out OR Juice or wormwood which kills them

June

June Report 25 Sep 2004 23:12

Loads for tooth ache Nicola, any of these appeal......lol Be electrified through the teeth. OR Apply to the aching tooth an artificial magnet. OR Lay roasted parings of turnips, as hot as may be, behind the ear. OR Lay a clove of garlic on the tooth. OR Keep the feet in warm water, and rub them well with bran just before bedtime OR Saturate a little cotton wool with oil of cloves and put it to the tooth, the oil of cloves might be kept ready in a bottle. It would be more efficacious if mixed with camphor and 2 or 3 drops of chloroform. OR Creosote, one part; spirits of wine, 10 parts; mix and apply. Yukkkkkkkkkk

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 26 Sep 2004 00:00

My Dad swore by a raw egg and tobasco sauce to drink for a hangover. Personally I prefer multiple Paracetamol and sleep!

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 26 Sep 2004 00:03

Nichola, try oil of cloves (spose you could crush cloves and infuse in boiling water. Lets face it how many people have access to oil of cloves these days) then a visit to the dentist.

Pat

Pat Report 26 Sep 2004 01:49

Nichola, Janet is right with the cloves, but if they do not work her way when you are in very bad pain put a clove on the part of the mouth where the tooth hurts the heat in your mouth will help and normally it soothes it. Paracetamol is not the best for toothache if you can take any type of asprin (not like me Asthmatic) buy disolving asprin or disprin and instead of disolving in water put it exactly where the pain is. Janet, me too with the hangovers but my Grandad swore by a raw egg and didnt even mix it drank it down white and complete yolk........... Nichola by the way hope when you had the scarf and hat on there was a lettuce leaf under it..LOL> By the way an old Aunt of mine believed using mustard powder in hot water for the feet to soak in helped a cold, by the way it works better when you drink Brandy at the same time, well she swore by it, she always seemed to be suffering from colds..... Hope some of the tips work, well at least it won't kill you to try them..... Pat x

Pat

Pat Report 26 Sep 2004 02:13

June, I know exactly what its like I am almost deaf in my right ear if I get a toothache that side of my face I suffer terrible pain, you do not come across as a cry baby well not to me anyway, the remedies I gave you are from experience I have to say the best is cloves, with dissolving asprin and a drop of whiskey or rum or gin whatever your alcholic fancy is, it works lovely. I can sympathise with anyone with both ear and toothache, that's why I answered your thread, although we don't live in the 1800's (thank goodness) we can learn a little from the people we are trying to trace BUT we are more fortunate in having modern medicines to help in tandem with the old, don't drug yourself up too much, drink more and be happier LOL> By the way what does PMSL mean? I don't blame you not wanting to have another night of pain, yes you can get drunk with the ONE disprin and lots of cloves, great hey........... Sleep well. Pat x

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 26 Sep 2004 07:53

Hi June You haven't got a sinus infection, have you? I had that once on the left side of my face and it had me in tears on the bathroom floor. It effected both my ear and teeth and only a course of antibiotics finally got rid of it...wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy Sylvia

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 26 Sep 2004 09:22

Perhaps thats the answer for when I get those migraine heads!.. Hope your'e feeling a bit better today, Nichola!..

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Sep 2004 09:39

Pat, PMSL means she wet herself laughing. June, is there a cure for a weak bladder? A lot of people seem to suffer from it on here

ask

ask Report 26 Sep 2004 10:34

Nichola, several years ago had bad ear and toothache, went on for weeks, swore I must have had abcess somewhere.Doc nor Dentist could find anything. It drove me nuts, eventually dentist referred me to consultant at school of dentistry. He told me it was caused by..........Grinding teeth in sleep. I thought he was crackers, anway he made me a gum shield thingy. I wore it at night, and it worked!!!!!!

June

June Report 26 Sep 2004 15:32

Hi Pat, Were you getting me mixed up with someone else? I've not had any remedies from you for toothache, the dentist took one of mine out 3 weeks ago......needless to say I did not try any of the remedies on this thread!!!!!! Best wishes June

June

June Report 26 Sep 2004 15:47

Hi Sylvia, Theres one for Catarrh, is that the same thing? To cure, let the diet be low, drink toast & water, warm gruel or barley water acidulated with a little lemon or cream of tartar. Bathe the feet at bedtime in hot water. Use the vapour bath, or wrap hot bricks in cloths or flannels dipped in vinegar and water, to the feet & sides. Hi Lyla, To Strengthen the Bladder Avoid all intoxicating drinks, exposure to wet, damp & cold; sponge the lower parts of the abdomen with salt and water, and occasionally with vinegar. Think I'll give that one a miss!!!!!!....lol June

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 26 Sep 2004 16:20

Cold water over the head does soothe of chronic headaches - everytime I have a migraine I bury myself in the contents of the freezer. Better than nurofen, just remember to put the meat back before it defrosts!

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Sep 2004 16:22

I think I'd rather just PMSL!!!!!