Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer problems. Add yours........

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 12 Feb 2004 17:01

Looking through the boards there seems to be a few of us that have computer problems, if you add your problem to this thread I am sure some one will answer them for us............. Sue........

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 12 Feb 2004 19:13

Hi Sue, When ever I see anyone with problems on their PC I usually print off that page,with all the excellant advice given by members,I add it to my problem solver file. Its usefull that way,saves clogging up your favourites file. Good tip added by Judy.Ive just printed off that one. Have a look. trish

Jill

Jill Report 12 Feb 2004 22:40

Hi Sue, Well done, really good idea. Jill

Kim

Kim Report 13 Feb 2004 18:05

email attachments mine won't open was a thread i can't find it KIM

Sidami

Sidami Report 13 Feb 2004 22:08

I have been taking note about backing our files up, well I have just tried to back them up on a disc it is telling me that there is too much information for the disc, what do I do now please help in step by step easy instructions that a novice can understand Sue....

Judy

Judy Report 13 Feb 2004 22:25

Kim: More than likely the download you are trying to open has more than one file attached....a multiple attachment (ie more than one word document, more than one picture, more than one of anything.) Your computer comes equipped, with no special program needed, in order for you to "zip" or attach more than one file to an e-mail and send it off to a recipient. Your computer does not, however, come readily equipped to "unzip" mail you receive with multiple attachments. You need a program called WINZIP which can be downloaded for free at www(.)winzip(.)com. I believe it says TRIAL VERSION not free....so that is what you will be looking for at the site. Trial version is the same thing....free and it can be used as often as you need....there is no time limit or anything to buy. Download and install the progam and you should be able to open your unopenable file. After you download and install WINZIP, locate your file, RIGHT click and choose OPEN WITH WINZIP. Any questions or problems, give me a shout. Judy

Judy

Judy Report 13 Feb 2004 22:28

Sue: This is an easy one...simply take out the disk that is full and replace it with a blank floppy disk. If say, you have many files and it is your family tree that is only half way backed up and the computer is telling you that the disk is full, you may want to put that particular file (the family tree) on a disk by itself. You can alter files on a floppy disk and you can delete from a floppy disk, just like you can on your computer. Judy :)

Judy

Judy Report 13 Feb 2004 22:33

Something to keep in mind about Floppy disks....if you leave the floppy disk in the A drive and shut down your computer and then start your computer, you'll get a blank screen....the computer can't start with a floppy disk that is inserted in the A Drive....simply pop the disk out. No message will pop up on your screen letting you know that you forgot to remove a floppy disk....something you just have to know. Don't want anyone panicking should this occur. Leaving the disk in the A drive does not harm the computer or the information on the disk....... Judy

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Feb 2004 23:08

The other thing you can do with tips is to copy and paste into Word (or other WP programme) and store in a "Tips" directory.

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Feb 2004 23:12

I have a Mustek Scan Express 6000P scanner which is set up for W 3.1x/95/NT. It worked on my old computer with W98, though. It will not work with W2000. Is there a W200 driver available anywhere. I can't locate a Mustek manufacturer's site on the net.

Gerry

Gerry Report 13 Feb 2004 23:17

Sue Cut down on the number of files you are trying to backup at on any one disc. Check the total size of your files do not exceed the size of your disc (625 - 700 mb, depending on the disc) Gerry

Sidami

Sidami Report 13 Feb 2004 23:18

Thanks Judy for your information.... Brian how do you copy and paste? Sue

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 13 Feb 2004 23:18

I have USB 2.0 card in a free pci port in my computer and i am having some trouble with it and i wonder if anyone could help me. The problem is that it wont work under W2000 but it worked fine under W98 and Wme, i have already tried the manufacturers(belkin) webpage to d/l the drivers but none seem to be available and the ones that are do not seem to help. Any advice you can give me on this problem would be appreciated. Thanks Christine

Kim

Kim Report 13 Feb 2004 23:26

JUDY ,have been onto winzip site can't find or am not looking in right place for trial versin .there is an evaluation version but that wants t o charge £29 or dollars after 21 days>>>> confused .. Also same attachments opened yesterday is there a security setting on outlook express, as it keeps saying they are all unsafe,but it didn't say that yesterday?? KIM

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Feb 2004 23:34

Thank you Karen, you just solved a problem for me too. I used to know how to select certain text out of a document to print without having to print the whole thing, but forgot how to do it. Bit frustrating (and expensive) when you have to print off a 225 page list of names when you only want the ones on page 175! Sue Good

Judy

Judy Report 13 Feb 2004 23:44

Kim....link below will bring you to page with two places to click for Winzip....one you can purchase, the other the Evaluation version...click on the evaluation version. My apologies for giving you the wrong wording to look for....I was recalling from memory and obviously, my memory isn't what I thought it was! http()//winzip(.)com/downwzeval()htm Remember to remove the brackets Judy

Judy

Judy Report 13 Feb 2004 23:48

For drivers needed for scanners, you might try the Windows Update Site that will scan your computer for needed and updated drivers - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft(.)com/en/default.asp. Or try entering the driver needed into a Google search - www(.)google(.)com. Remember to remove the () from the address

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Feb 2004 23:58

Sue G You can print a single page, or a short series, by going into File/Print and either select "Print current page" or else "Pages X to Y" (enter X & Y).

BrianW

BrianW Report 14 Feb 2004 00:01

Karen Paf normally asks you if you want to back up and then compresses the file. I've got 400 names on PAF and it backs up onto a floppy easily. (43.5k on a 144k floppy) Otherwise: Go into File/Backup and it should do it easy peasy.

Judy

Judy Report 14 Feb 2004 00:03

Karen....A floppy disk has more than enough room to store the information that you have on your tree. For burning information to CD, you can get step by step instructions on your computer by: 1. Click on START 2. Click on CONTROL PANEL 3. Click on HELP and SUPPORT. At the top of this page is a search feature. Type in keywords "Burning CD." I use Nero burning CD software as I like the options it has....but the XP CD burning software will do the job. Judy