General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sunday question - is Christopher Robin still alive

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Harry

Harry Report 27 Apr 2008 10:40

One of my abiding memories from long, long ago was Gracie Field's "Christopher Robin is saying his prayers" .In our house it was mother and child together "God bless mummy; god bless daddy" - and later "hands together softly so; little eyes shut tight".
Is that picture still a near reality in Britain today? If not, it's a shame as we would have lost something beautiful.

For anyone as sentimental as I am, here are the words to the song.

Little boy kneels at the foot of the bed,
Droops on his little hands, little gold head;
Shhh; whisper, who dares?
Christopher Robin is saying his prayers.

God bless mummy, I know that's right,
And wasn,t it fun in the bath tonight?
The cold so cold, and the hot so hot,
God bless Daddy, I quite forgot.

If i open my eyes just a little bit more,
I can see nanny;s dressing gown on the door;
It's a beautiful blue, but it hasn,t a hood,
God bless nanny, and make her good.

Mine has a hood, and as I lie in bed,
I pull the hood right over my head;
And I shut my eyes and curl up small,
And nobody knows that I,m there at all.

Thank you God for a lovely day,
And what was the other I wanted to say?
I said bless Daddy, so what could it be?
Now I remember, God bless me.

Verse number 1 repeated.

Best wishes to all who have read this far. Happy days

"there are no atheists in a lifeboat on a stormy sea"

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 27 Apr 2008 10:45

Mum used to sing this to us as I did to my children.....................thanks Harry:))

xx

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 27 Apr 2008 10:55

(((((Hugs)))))

I'm so glad you're back harry. I really missed you.....and those Happy Days lol

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 27 Apr 2008 10:55

Thanks Harry,i remember it well,

Makes me think of my Dad with his little cherubic face and blonde curls, now he is the same age as you!

Caz xxx

Me to Lesley, glad you are posting Harry x

Harry

Harry Report 27 Apr 2008 11:01

Thank you girls. That dates you Caz

Very best wishes Happy days

William

William Report 27 Apr 2008 11:10

He has a band now, the lads come a long way !

http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dchristopher%2Brobin%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501%26ei%3DUTF-8&w=500&h=334&imgurl=static.flickr.com%2F2024%2F1784393628_212aab20d9.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Flifemusicmedia%2F1784393628%2F&size=109.1kB&name=Christopher%20Robin&p=christopher%20robin&type=JPG&oid=b7799400a52998fa&fusr=lifemusicmedia&tit=Christopher%20Robin&hurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lifemusicmedia/&no=11&tt=20,112

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 27 Apr 2008 11:10

Caz is only young :-).....besides I remember it too lol (ooh I don't remember Gracie Fields saying it lol)

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 27 Apr 2008 11:11

oooh William....i think you've broken the thread lol

William

William Report 27 Apr 2008 11:13

oooh William....i think you've broken the thread lol

I better sneek out the back door lol

Looks like the lad needs some head and shoulders treatment lol

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Apr 2008 12:57

I remember the song well but did somebody else say/sing it too?

I also used to read the Christopher Robin books (Now we are Six etc) to my children and still have one of A A Milnes Christopher Robin verse books here.

Ann
Glos

Hilary645633

Hilary645633 Report 27 Apr 2008 15:30

Hi harry,

Yes I remember and knew that song.

Harry

Harry Report 27 Apr 2008 18:44

Thank you for your interest and replies. Not quite sure whether his spirit is still alive and kicking, which perhaps i should have made clearer at the beginning.
Happy days

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 27 Apr 2008 19:42

I found this Harry...............sadly he is no longer with us:(

Christopher Robin Milne was born in Chelsea, London, England, on the 21st August 1920. Pooh joined him about a year later, shortly followed by Eeyore. Piglet was a gift from a neighbour, who frequently saw him out walking with his Nanny.

Owl and Rabbit were not real toys, but were invented for the stories. Later Kanga, Roo, and Tigger bounced into the Milne home.

Christopher Robin was known to his family as "Billy Moon" the "Moon" part being the young boys mispronunciation of his surname.

In 2001 some old black and white film footage of Christopher Robin was discovered. The film was shot in 1929 by Percy Nightingale who was a corn merchant from Hampshire. It featured a nine year old Christopher Robin leading a pageant through Asdown Forest. His friends were dressed up as Pooh, Piglet, Eyeore, Tigger and Kanga. Christoher Robin later recalled that "It was exciting doing my bit." for the pageant. The film was shown on BBC2 in November 2001 it was old and crackly but wonderfully magical!

Christopher was studying at Cambridge when the second world war started, and he left to join the army. Christopher was wounded in the head during battle but he luckily made a good recovery. He served his country right up to the end of the war in 1945.

After the war he married his wife Lesley, they had one daughter Clare, who was born with cerebal palsy.

In 1951 the Milnes opened their Harbour Bookshop in Dartmouth, England.

Christopher Milne wrote four books of his own.

The Enchanted Places 1974
The Path Through The Trees 1979
The Hollow On The Hill 1982
The Open Garden 1988
Christopher Robin Milne died on the 20th April 1996.

Christopher Robin Milne may not have always enjoyed being the famous "Christopher Robin" but without him there would have never been a Pooh.

In England we remember Mr Milne with love, respect and gratitude.

Pooh along with his friends Piglet, Eeyore, Tigger, and Kanga are now being kept in a glass case in New York's public library, America.

Pooh maybe a very long way from home, but in his heart he will always be in The Enchanted Place on the very top of Ashdown Forest, ENGLAND

xx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Apr 2008 19:45

Umm - my friends brother is called Christopher Robin!! Quite a name to live up to when he was a Merchant Seaman LOL

maggie

Harry

Harry Report 27 Apr 2008 20:31

thank you Kitty - makes very interesting reading.

best wishes Happy days

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 27 Apr 2008 20:34

I thought so too Harry:))

LOL Maggie..................poor man!

xx

Sue

Sue Report 25 Jun 2008 22:09

Why is pooh in America, he belongs in England his homeland. is it to do with price paid? sue

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Jun 2008 22:30

Uncle Mac used to play that song on Saturday mornings.Hello children everywhere.

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring Report 25 Jun 2008 22:38

I remember the song and Gracie Fields and didn't Joyce Grenfell also record it. I'm always reminded and sing the song in my head when I see our house coats (dressing gowns) hung on the back of the bedroom door

Harry

Harry Report 26 Jun 2008 10:51

Nice that this one has surfaced again. Some great memories for older ones.

Happy days