General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How can I read an FTW file

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 10 Jun 2008 13:28

A distant family contact has sent me their family tree in a 3MB FTW file. I believe this is a Family Tree Maker format. Unfortunately I don't have Family Tree Maker software. Is there any other way of accessing the information in this file? I don't really want to go back and annoy my contact by saying the information they were good enough to send is not useful to me in this format. Any advice appreciated.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 10 Jun 2008 13:30

You're right, it needs to be a gedcom file.

Do you have a free ancestry account? I'm sure I've read on their site that you can download Family Tree Maker files up to 75mb. You may want to check it out. However, I would make sure that no one else can read it by keeping it private.

Ian

Ian Report 10 Jun 2008 14:15

Thanks very much, Secret Red Squirrel. That did the trick very nicely.