General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who was it who

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dianne

Dianne Report 17 Jun 2008 19:00

knew how to fell trees on here. The actual tree is down but the stump is still in the ground with a big hole dug around it. We have tried a chainsaw, we have set it alight, and nothing will shift it, yet the trunk was fairly easy to cut through.

If it were in the front garden we would have been able to chain it to a car and drive away a bit to loosen it, but as it is in the back garden that is out of the question.

Does anyone have any ideas please.

Dianne xx

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 Jun 2008 19:01

You can buy pellets that are inserted into the trunk and kill it down.

Dianne

Dianne Report 17 Jun 2008 19:03

What are they called please Errol?

NDD

NDD Report 17 Jun 2008 19:04

Oh!!!! No!!!!

Poor tree

See My tree thread

Brian ( tree hugger ).

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 17 Jun 2008 19:04

My OH says that they used to bore holes in the stump and fill them with mix of SBK and paraffin, which will accelerate the rotting process. Jean

Dianne

Dianne Report 17 Jun 2008 19:05

Brian

Ssooorreeee

I love trees really but this one was getting to be more of a nuisance than anything, no light in the house etc.

Dianne xx

Dianne

Dianne Report 17 Jun 2008 19:07

What's SBK please Jean?

NDD

NDD Report 17 Jun 2008 19:08

Well ok Dianne

I suppose it was necessary

Brian ( I'll have nightmares about the poor tree )

You are welcome on My threads Dianne

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 Jun 2008 19:11

You could try SBK Brushwood Killer which, I think but not sure, is a liquid.

http://www.vitax.co.uk/productshome.asp?catalog=1002

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 Jun 2008 19:12

I take it you had permission to remove it.

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 17 Jun 2008 19:12

Thanks Errol, thats what I was going to say. Jean

Julie

Julie Report 17 Jun 2008 19:14

If you drill holes into it it will kill it off, but in the top bit and not the sides

NDD

NDD Report 17 Jun 2008 19:14

Hello Julie

How are You?

Dianne

Dianne Report 17 Jun 2008 19:17

Permission to remove it ?????

Que ???

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jun 2008 19:17

You can buy root killer that you spread on the cut bit of stump, and cover it with plastic to stop the rain washing it off.
I've only used it on Buddleah and elder saplings, so not sure how long it takes on a full size tree.

maggie

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 17 Jun 2008 19:19

You have to have permission from our local council to cut down any trees.................even the ones in your own garden.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 Jun 2008 19:21

In certain, but not all, cases you do require planning consent to remove a tree.

Dianne

Dianne Report 17 Jun 2008 19:22

Ooo Errr

We had no idea.

Too late now !!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jun 2008 19:22

As for getting permission to fell trees. I'm in a quandary - how is a tree determined?
About 15 years ago, I bought what the label called a dwarf Ceanthus. It is now about 12 ft high and 20 ft wide, is in the front garden - and is much admired in the neighbourhood.
However it is essentialy a shrub albeit of a tree size, and is dying. Would I need permission to fell it?
Every year I prune it (without permission), but am a little concerned that if I fell it I will be reported, as it will be missed.

maggie

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥

♥ Kitty the Rubbish Cook ♥ Report 17 Jun 2008 19:24

http://www.onlineplanningoffices.co.uk/html/additional_advice/tree_preservation_orders.php

Open this site and enter your postcosde at the bottom and it will tell you if any preservation orders are in your area.................you might be fine, don't worry:)