General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Not So Good Samaritans!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roxanne

Roxanne Report 12 Jul 2008 11:14

I Think this Vicar is Great:-) And what a showing up for those who were going to his Church,Good One Vicar!
I like your style:-))

Roxanne

Roxanne Report 12 Jul 2008 11:15

A minister posed as a tramp and gatecrashed his own service to teach churchgoers about "acceptance".

The Reverend Derek Rigby donned a wig and some torn clothes and surrounded himself with lager cans and syringes in the church doorway on Sunday morning.

Most of the congregation at the Trinity Methodist Church in Prestatyn, Denbighshire, ignored the intruder.

Mr Rigby said most were "embarrassed" by their behaviour when he finally revealed himself during the service.

The former police officer had told the congregation he would be late for Sunday's service, and only informed one church member of his true plans, in case anyone decided to dial 999.

See the Reverend Derek Rigby talking about his stunt
The minister said he did not shave for three days and drew on tattoos to make his appearance more convincing.

He said: "I couldn't take the car in case anyone spotted it, so I walked from my home to the church. That was interesting, because my neighbours avoided me.

"I had bought clothes from a charity shop - which were immaculate - so I had to dirty them up a bit and I poured a bit of lager on them.

"When I got to the church I arranged a couple of cans and some plastic syringes, without needles, which I have at home for the dog. It gave the impression of a real down and out."

He added: "None of them spoke to me, apart from a few who told me off and told me to get away from their cars, which they kept checking.

"They all ignored me."

The minister plans to throw his "tramp" clothes away

He waited until the children had left the church to join their Sunday School before walking to the front of the building and revealing his identity to the congregation.

He said: "Some were very embarrassed. Nobody was angry with me but they were shocked they had ignored me in the way they had.

"They could have given me a cup of coffee.

"I was surprised rather than disappointed. Some people said they wished I had been there because I would have known how to deal with the situation."

Mr Rigby said he had intended to communicate a "serious message of acceptance in an emotive way", and used the example of the Disciples not recognising Jesus on the road to Emmaus after his resurrection.

He said he had tried a similar stunt twice before in Newport and London - where the congregations had been more generous.

He added: "I told them they were stingy because I had been given as much as £4.50, a packet of biscuits and a blanket in the other places, but in Prestatyn I got nothing.

"Although, I'm sure that wouldn't happen again."

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 12 Jul 2008 11:21

Hi Roxanne :-)

Just wondering what you would have done? or anyone else who has read this?

Roxanne

Roxanne Report 12 Jul 2008 11:26

Not wanting to sound "Holier than thou",I do stop and ask beggars if their ok and usually give them something,even if its only my time.
I dont always give money especially if I think their drug dependant,but If there a cafe around I will buy them a coffee or something to eat.

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&#

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&# Report 12 Jul 2008 11:28

The core of the church's teachings come from the stories about Jesus, and the parables he preached, including the one of the Good Samaritan.....This exercise made it quite clear that congregations who listen so piously and act so 'do-goody' (for want of the right word), really only pay lip service to the lessons taught.

I've always said most churchgoers (not all, many are truly lovely people) are hypocrits of the highest order.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 12 Jul 2008 11:29

Roxanne, you don't sound 'holier than thou".....you sound like a good person :-)

On the other hand I honestly think I would have avoided him in light of the syringes lying about him as that would have scared me.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Jul 2008 11:30

I read it and thought good for him - I sincerely hope that I wold not have just passed him by, in fact I know I would not have - once you reach the "bottom" you can only get back up if someone gives you a helping hand and what better place you would think to get a helping hand than outside a church - shame on those so called Christians!!

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&#

₪ TeresaW elite empress of deleted threads&# Report 12 Jul 2008 11:31

Adds quickly....if I am accosted in the street by someone down and out...and it happens, then no, I dont' give, but if someone is obviously in need then I have no problem buying a hot drink and something to eat....and giving them a cigarette if they smoke.

I rarely give money though...its hard to know whether or not it will be spent on food and/or accommodation rather than booze or drugs, and if it was, it wouldn't really be helping them.

Roxanne

Roxanne Report 12 Jul 2008 11:31

I agree Teresa And Ann:-))
You woud think that the people on their way to church would be feeling especially generous and kind hearted wouldnt you?

Roxanne

Roxanne Report 12 Jul 2008 11:34

Red Squirrel,
I can Understand that to see Syringes on the floor would freak me out too!
I think it was more the fact that the guy was Ignored and looked down on rather than the actual giving.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 12 Jul 2008 11:35

sorry to stir things up.....what do you think about the argument that people already give a proportion of their wages in taxes/national insurance contributions in order to help vulnerable people in dire need?

Grants, loans, accommodation are available for those in need etc

As TW says, if money is given, it may be spent on drugs, alcohol etc which may possibly hinder the situation??

Taff

Taff Report 12 Jul 2008 11:36

Roxanne, they are probably keeping their money for the collection plate, where they can be seen by all !!
I think this vicar is great as well!

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 12 Jul 2008 11:36

Best laugh we had at our Church, was when a Gentleman of the Road, asked for money to buy food, As was the policy, someone took the person to a Burger Bar, and bought them a meal. It was our Minister who was going to take him, and he turned round and said, Do you mind if I have Kentucky Fried Chicken, instead of a Burger.

Our Minister wrote to Kentucky Fried Chicken, and said ' Even Tramps prefer KFC'

They sent some vouchers to give to other Ladies and Gentlemen of the Road.

Mo

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 12 Jul 2008 11:37

Roxanne, I agree with you in that they shouldn't have told him off and looked down on him.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Jul 2008 11:38

love that story Mo - great one!!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Jul 2008 11:38

I dont feel ashamed to say that after seeing sryinges I would not have given anything either,

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Jul 2008 11:39

if down and outs call at our rectory our lovely vicar gives them sandwiches!!!!

Roxanne

Roxanne Report 12 Jul 2008 11:41

True,I agree,Money isnt always the best thing to give,but Time and food are things everyone can give.

when I worked In Manchester,Many Years ago I got friendly with a guy who would sit outside my shop,he was always asking for money and I always refused,I knew he would spend it on booze,he was an alcoholic,always drunk!
One Day I bought him his breakfast,He was a bit off with me because he wanted the money,but every morning I bought him a breakfast from Mcdonalds,he eventually got use to me buying his breakfast and really looked forward to it.
we became friends,he was a very educated man,he had just had so much tragedy in his life,you just never know what turns a person.
He taught me a great lesson.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Jul 2008 11:44

perhaps if the *puposed down and out* had been presented in the church then maybe the congregation would have been more benevelant and swelled his pockets,?

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 12 Jul 2008 11:46

I suppose a church is a natural place to gravitate towards if you are in need.....people always thing of the lesson of the Good Samaritan.