General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A question for all you Oldies (not age!!)

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 26 Oct 2008 21:22

Are you still researching your family tree or are you on here just for the chat?

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 26 Oct 2008 21:23

Both but I am a inbetweeny

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 26 Oct 2008 21:24

Yes still researching and look ups and pop in for a one-liner now and again !

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 26 Oct 2008 21:25

At the moment for a chat LL as i havent much spare time and cant afford ancestry or credits! I keep an open eye though, but have had no hot matches.

Caz xx

Grabagran

Grabagran Report 26 Oct 2008 21:26

Oh just the chat and company.

Stopped with the family tree when I jit a brick wall with the Irish side lol

McB

McB Report 26 Oct 2008 21:27

Still doing mine, but iv'e hit one of those brick walls at the mo

So just on for a chinwag.

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 26 Oct 2008 21:28

I`m stiil hopeful of finding my greatgrandmother in Ireland -awaiting Census from Ireland which I sent for weeks ago, Ros xx

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 26 Oct 2008 21:38

Always researching my tree. Everything I find leads me onto more research so I stay addicted.

Hi, WW.

Sue

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 26 Oct 2008 21:38

Glad to here it folks

I have been on here for just over a year. I have completed the majority of my tree. ie direct lines as far back as I can go, the Irish connection, and the infamous brick wall, I wasnt sure whether to renew my membership as I occasionally come on for a chat and a dip in on a thread, but I glad to see you Oldies still researching so I must have more to do myself.
I have just started OH's tree,which has taken me to Scotland so may have some Hot matches to look forward to.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Oct 2008 21:39

We've just had a flurry of researching activity since the incoming passenger lists were released. We have a really good lead on OH's long lost grandfather, who 'disappeared' c. 1930s.
We may finally know the answer.
All this comes after years of quiet drifting along, researching odd snippets.
I enjoy the searching, enjoy the chat and it's great when you find you have a relative here already on the boards.

Gwyn

Joy

Joy Report 26 Oct 2008 21:42

Totally continuing addiction it is for me.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 26 Oct 2008 21:45

I do my tree in bursts of enthusiasm. I tend to do mine more in the winter months so may get another hunt underway soon.

I've just about done all that I can online so need to either do trips to different records offices or wait a while till a bit more comes on to the net.

I could go on and on tracing the medieval lot I've got but I do keep going round in circles and ending up with the same little group of ancestors over and over again when I do that.

So I come on here for a chat in between doing research for all sorts of activities I do in real life.

Sue

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Oct 2008 21:55

I've got too many so called brickwalls, - enough to build a village really.
People with no beginning, people with a middle life but no record of being born or died, people who move to the other end of the country, why? and Welsh Davies who marry Davies....just to name a few.
... No I'll never be finished researching....

Gwyn

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Oct 2008 23:38

Not done much on mine for a while now - too busy doing other things (the ancestors, after all aren't going anywhere are they? And I have a life now!!), However, I have 'padded out' a few things - made humans of dead bones.

maggie

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 27 Oct 2008 01:43

Joined in February 2005, and had a mad burst on my tree, then found these boards and tree growth has been slow ever since lol The lovely Rambling Rose helped me with some info the other day and I am all fired up again to find out more, have made contact with two branches of my Dad's side of the tree, one lot in Scotland and the other in Essex and am waiting to hear from another person as to links.
Now doing a bit on partner's tree too but what with Smiths, Brownes and an adopted Grandfather with nothing more know than that he was adopted and him being dead long since, think that will be one brick wall I will never knock down.
Won't be deserting these boards for a while tho, unless I am pushed off lol I have too many lovely friends to talk to here.

Lizx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Oct 2008 08:30

Been on here since April 2004, been researching for 30 years or more, more seriously in the last eight years. Got several brick walls but still digging away.

Ann
glos

HeatherinLeicestershire

HeatherinLeicestershire Report 27 Oct 2008 08:37

I joined June 2003, still family searching but I enjoy the chat too :)

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 27 Oct 2008 08:45

I'm still doing tree but like others pop in here now and again. Last week had acontact from somebody who had just joined GR and thought I had at last knocked down another wall. However after they opened their tree and I did same found they had one person in their tree born 1956, had no contact since so closed my tree albeit after horse bolted. Their lost though cos I've got lots of certs. etc that I would have shared.

LindaRSJ

LindaRSJ Report 27 Oct 2008 09:12

Still researching. Started March 2006. Have had quite a few lovely contacts. Currently tidying up hard copy files and still backing up my findings with certificates. It's the time consuming work now, trawling through BMD's. I take a break from it in the summer but am thankful I have this hobby for the winter months. Like to pop on here for entertainment and tips. At times it beats the TV soaps (which I no longer watch) hands down. Don't post very often but read every day.
Linda

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 27 Oct 2008 12:13

Both, but I love the jokes, tips, and news on this site.

Mo