General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MEMORIES OF THE 50'S & 60'S

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Grabagran

Grabagran Report 12 Dec 2009 10:50

ONE OF MY BIRTHDAY PRESSIES WAS A BOOK ABOUT THE BEST OF THE 50'S & 60'S.
A FEW OF THE ADVERTS ARE
BILE BEANS. TONI HOME PERMS. AMAMI WAVE SET.
BRYLFOAM. 'LIBERTY BODICE' PURITEX KNICKERS.
PECK'S PASTES. CONGOLEUM SQUARES. OTTERBURN COT RUG. TO MENTION A FEW. STILL SO MANY MORE TO SEE.

VERY INTERESTING AND BRINGING BACK MEMORIES.

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Dec 2009 11:04

The Radio Luxembourg Annual, still got mine.

Julia

Julia Report 12 Dec 2009 11:08

Hi Babes, Good Morning. I can remember wearing a Liberty Bodice. Well I did live in Rothesey, and it did get a bit braw there in the 40/50's
LOLOL
Julia in Derbyshire

Grabagran

Grabagran Report 12 Dec 2009 13:35

Just imagining you all sitting tonight with a glass of your favourite tipple, reminiscing pmsl
PETTICOAT MAGAZINE. GAYTOURS SUNSHINE HOLIDAYS, FORD ZEPHYR & ANGLIA, DENTIFRICE,
SCHOOL FRIEND, GIRLS' CRYSTAL & THE CHAMPION FOR BOYS ANNUALS

Grabagran

Grabagran Report 12 Dec 2009 14:25

Don't think I've seen you yet honey.
Hope you're keeping well & Happy Christmas to you and yours.

xx

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Dec 2009 15:30

Living in fear of night starvation.

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Dec 2009 15:38

I had a blue Ford Anglia too. The spring hanger came up through the back seat and, yes, I had to live that one down!

I have a Smart now,which has no back seat of course. It has been suggested that I have finally given up hope and accepted I am past it!

SiouxiePoole

SiouxiePoole Report 12 Dec 2009 16:50

Tracey,
I'm old too!! I well remember Gibbs in a tin - wasn't much else in the way of toothpaste in "those days" I also remember shampoo that came in a sachet as dry powder and you had to mix it with water before using. No matter what you did it always remained gritty!
Sue

Annina

Annina Report 12 Dec 2009 18:11

I remember Gibbs toothpowder,can taste it now.

Enyone remember Ponds Vanishing cream??

I was watching an old Rising Damp prog the other day,and noticed a bottle of Vosene shampoo on a shelf,I can smell that too,along with Palmolive soap.

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Dec 2009 18:42

Ponds brought out a kind of gel to put on spots in the 60's. I had some because I think I had most people's spots for them in the sixties!

It was cold and I can still remember the smell which I liked.

Another thing that smelled good was a green liquid Mavala brought out to make your nails grow (yeh). Very expensive and you but a tiny spot on the end of each nail which did no good at all but it smelled delicious.
Mavaderma I believe it was called.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Dec 2009 18:59

callmenina

do you still use vosene? they altered the formula a year or so back is the new stuff much the same? or better......

Bob

OH! yes I remember the gibbs dentifrice tins..........AND LUX, the flakey stuff......

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 12 Dec 2009 19:37

Cologne in a stick which was always cold when you put it on. You were supposed to use it when you had a headache.
4711 cologne. Tangee lipstick, black in the tube, red when you put it on.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 12 Dec 2009 22:12

Lol....my first ever perfume was Evening in Paris and my second was Coty L'Aimant! Feeling very ancient as I remember everything on this thread! BC XX

Linda

Linda Report 12 Dec 2009 23:38

You can remember Camp coffee think it was spelt with a C. I was to young to drink it but can remember seeing in my aunts cubhard. Also you could get a bag of sweets for a farthing.

Morag

Morag Report 13 Dec 2009 00:03

I REMEMBER WHITE RAIN SHAMPOO, NYLON SEE THROUGH GLOVES, PENCIL SKIRTS, ENVELOPE BAGS, GLASS STOCKINGS WITH BLACK SEAMS. SATURDAY MORNING MATINEES, WITH A SING SONG FIRST. GUY MITCHELL, RADIO LUXEMBURG'S TOP TWENTY. LISTENING TO VALENTINE DIAL AS "THE MAN IN BLACK", DICK BARTON SPECIAL AGENT, TWO WAY FAMILY FAVOURITES, ALL ON THE RADIO. FRANKIE VAUGHN'S "GREEN DOOR". MATT MUNROE'S "LOVE AFFAIR" AND SO MANY MANY MORE. THOSE DAYS WERE SO WONDERFUL, I WISH THAT I HAD APPRECIATED THEM SO MUCH MORE

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Dec 2009 00:18

Now you are getting me all nostalgic, can remember lots of those items. Did anyone get the pattern that came with the Petticoat magazine, it was made from something like j cloths and you could adapt it each time to make something different. I used mine loads as I was always making my clothes so I had something different. Still have it somewhere (well of course I would, hoarder that I am lol)

Lizx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Dec 2009 03:48

how about crinoline petticoats??

Stiffened with sugar water to make them stick out even more ........... ironing them made the bottom of the iron a mess.

If made of net, they ripped your (very valuable) nylons to pieces.

Stiletto heels ...... I regularly wore 3", also had 3½" and 4" heels as well.

Jane

Jane Report 13 Dec 2009 16:01

Anyone talking about things from their younger days please feel free to add to our thread on Chat .Mels thread on memories from childhood.We could do with some new memories as we have worn our brains out over the last 20 months lol.
I use Parazone Bleach lol

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Dec 2009 19:26

Painting eyelashes underneath your eyes like Twiggy did,

Did we all look a sight!

jan50

jan50 Report 13 Dec 2009 20:52

Can remember feeling tlike he "bees knees" in my hot pants and knee-high white boots! Oooh! Them's was the days!