General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ANTI SOCIAL ALARM

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 6 Jan 2010 13:00

WHEN MY GRANDSON GOES TO THE LOCAL SHOPS
WE WALKS AROUND OUTSIDE WITH HIS HANDS
ON HIS EARS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE ALARM,
WE ALSO NOTICED RECENTLY THE AMOUNT OF BABY'S SCREAMING,
FOUND OUT THERES A ANTI SOCIAL DISPERSAL ALARM
PITCHED SO ONLY CHILDREN & UP TO TEENAGERS
YEARS CAN HEAR,
AIMED TO CLEAR THEM AWAY FROM SHOPS

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 6 Jan 2010 13:02

Often a good idea, but obviously has a negative effect too. But would you rather that or a mob of teens and hoodies hanging around outside, and made to feel threatened by their presence, even if they don't actually mean to be?

Bit of a catch 22 really.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jan 2010 13:03

That is awful if it is affecting babies. I don't agree with them being used near shops as it is likely to affect innocent children and babies. I would complain to the local council about it. I am not sure if they are actually legal.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 6 Jan 2010 13:07

IN DO FIIND GANGS OF TEENAGERS CAN
MAKE YOU FEEL INTIMIDATED

ON THER OTHER HAND WHAT ABOUT
CHILDREN WITH EAR PROBLEMS

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jan 2010 13:11

When my youngest Grandson was younger he has extremely sensitive ears to the extent that somebody using a hammer made him cry because the noise hurt his ears so much. He had treatment where his ears were desensitized, not sure how but he wore earphones and sound was played through them until his ears adjusted to the noise. If he had been affected by one of those alarms he would have screamed in pain. I do wonder what the noise is doing to their hearing. I take the point of yobs congregating but it only moves them on to somewhere else.

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 6 Jan 2010 13:14

One other way that some shops tried, was to play 'old' music. The teenagers didn't like it and moved on. At least that doesn't affect children's hearing.

By old music I'm talking about 40's and 50's ballads. It backfired though, because other people complained it was annoying when they were out shopping.

You can please some of the people blah blah....

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 6 Jan 2010 13:20

JUST TRIED TO FIND OUT OUT INFORMATION FROM
OUR LOCAL COUNCIL TO SEE IF IT CAN BE HARMFULL TO
CHILDREN WITH ACUTE EAR PROBLEMS IF SO I WILL
NOT TAKE MY GRANDCHILDREN ROUND THERE.
ALSO FIND OUT IF ANY OTHERS HAVE HAD POROBLEMS

BUT THE ENFORCMENT OFFICERS NOT IN

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 6 Jan 2010 13:21

I didnt realise it was on all the time, I thought it was just night time.

Marion

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 6 Jan 2010 13:24

THAT WAS ANOTHER REASON
TO ASK WHY ITS ON AT 10AM
ALSO CAN IT AFFECT DOGS THE ONES TIED
OUTSIDE YHE SHOP WERE VERY AGRESSIVE

*~~*Posh*~~*

*~~*Posh*~~* Report 6 Jan 2010 13:28

An interesting subject Dizzi....

There is no law which bans them and the government have no intentions of doing so. They are meant to be 75 dB, and no louder but some people say they are up to 95 dB 's.
The question is...Do we put up with this inconvenience or do we allow the Teenagers to carry on gathering outside the shops and intimidate people...I know which one I prefer! xxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jan 2010 14:06

Posh, if it damages young childrens ears surely it is more than an inconvenience. speaking as somebody who wears hearing aids through being hard of hearing.

*~~*Posh*~~*

*~~*Posh*~~* Report 6 Jan 2010 14:40

Hi Ann,
I do see your point but does it actually damage young Childrens ears? Or is it just a horrible noise...I don't know as I haven't actually looked into it much.
We have a shop in our town who had terrible trouble with gangs hanging around the shop to the extent that he was thinking of closing down. People wouldn't shop there as it was so bad, so he had one installed and since then has had no bother at all.
As I said 'An interesting subject' and very debatable. :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 6 Jan 2010 14:43

AH regarding hearing aids Ann

( and anyone else) do you have, or know any one that has one of the Radiolite television transmitter thingys'?
its a loop device you wear around the neck......and receives the sound from the Telly...
ap97a are the batteries it uses,...just wondering how good the batteries are and how long the battery should last.....

Bob

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jan 2010 14:46

Sorry Bob no I don't

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 6 Jan 2010 14:56

I personally don't like the premise that all children/young people are disruptive trouble makers (by those designing/installing alarm).

Particularly after witnessing some lovely teenagers (on more than one occasion & area) helping stranded motorists last night on their own initiative.

Maybe we should as a society look at ways of positively including young people into our community rather than alienating them from the outset (ie in newspapers etc). Don't get me wrong, there are those that are out to cause trouble but not all of them.

I also don't like the fact that innocent children are being hurt/almost treated as criminals as a result. It reminds me of the police keeping DNA of innocent children "just in case". In my opinion it's morally wrong,

Kate

Kate Report 6 Jan 2010 15:07

Have to say, I do agree with that comment, Squirrel - I was just wondering (with you mentioning the ones you saw helping motorists) what would happen regarding teenagers and younger adults who had gone shopping to help out an elderly relative or neighbour? That kind of noise would put me off wanting to go in particular shops so I wonder how it will affect the income of those shops that have them in the long run.

I think you've got a really good point too about looking on the positive side - I'm 25 now but looking at the news that discusses people my age and younger is really depressing. (Then again, I suppose it is the age-old problem of "good things don't sell newspapers".)

It is interesting that it can only be heard by younger people because I am sure I have got more sensitive hearing than anyone else in our house - I am losing count of how often I hear the doorbell when my mum and dad don't as it is!

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 6 Jan 2010 15:26

MOSQUITO ALARM
FOUND THIS ON INTERNET

No, not the pernicious insect, but a new anti-social behaviour alarm system.

The alarm system emits high frequency sound which can only be heard by those under 20 years of age, and is being trialed at various places within the UK. It's effects are non-permanent once the listener moves out of range of the device.

I know that one ongoing trial is being run in Aston, near Sheffield, and to-date has shown itself to be very effective for dispersing youths congregating at known trouble spots. Police Forces in various locations are pleased with the results obtained so far.

The Health and Safety Executive are currently considering banning the device in case it causes problems for the "targets".

What do you think......should it remain available, or should it be banned?

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 6 Jan 2010 15:46

HOW ABOUTTHISA
LOCAL COUNCIL,,,THE PERSON TO CONTACT NOT IN OFFICE,,VOICEMAIL

POLICE,,,,THE PERSON TO CONTACT NOT IN OFFICE,,VOICEMAIL

AREA CRIME PREVENTION...THE PERSON TO CONTACT NOT IN OFFICE,,VOICEMAIL

SSSSHHHHH DONT TELL ANYONE

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jan 2010 15:48

I think it should be properly evaluated by health and safety I would hate to think even a disruptive youth suffered my hearing problems in years to come. There must be other ways of dealing with the problem.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Jan 2010 16:32

Perhaps these items of torture (for that's what they are) wouldn't be needed if we had a few more policemen on the beat!