General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If you were to meet

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2010 14:57

Either your Gt gt grandfather or your Gt gt grandmother what would you all talk about and why?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 24 Jan 2010 15:03

Mr gr gr grandfather on my father's side: I would ask him why he didn't make sure that his son (my gr grandfather) left a clear paper trail for me to follow. I would ask him why his son did not register or baptise any of his children and did not marry his second "wife". Then I would tell him off!

My gr gr grandmother on my father's maternal line - I would slap her soundly and ask her why on earth she had one, maybe two children, by another man while she was still married to my gr gr grandfather! Then I would tell her off!

My gr gr grandmother on my mother's side - I would ask her whether her husband (my gr gr grandfather) actually committed suicide or did she poison him? Then I would slap her soundly and then I would tell her off.

My gr gr grandfather (the "suicide" above) - I would ask him why he didn't just up and leave the old bat (my gr gr grandmother above) as either he was going to kill himself or be murdered! Then I would think about giving him a hug. I would have to think about this as he was maybe not the nicest of chaps and he probably had dreadful BO.

Jill

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jan 2010 15:06

OHHH on my paternal side i would want to know where in Germany they came from ,when did they come to the UK and Why AND what happened GRT grandad after 1907 when your wife died where did you go cos you aint on the 1911 census with your DIL where you lived in 1907.Did you go back to Germany?? AND what happened to your other sons .I know what happened to Fred and Carl/Charles .they died pre 1911 but where are their bros Max .Wilhelm ,and Gottlieb ?? I WANT TO KNOW !!!!

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 24 Jan 2010 15:18

I don't know the names of my Connolly great-great grandparents, I'm descended from their son, Michael. So first I would want to know
"What are your names and where are you from (Limerick, Cork or Tipperary)
I know that their son, Michael was married more than once, but was it twice or three times (family stories differ).
My greatgrand mother was his last wife. What were the names of the other/s.
I have also been told that three of his sons (not my ggrandmothers) emmigrated to USA. Please tell me their names, when they were born, when they went to USA, and where they settled.
I really want to track this part of the family.

Of course, I would want to know about there day to day lives too. What it was like living in Ireland, under English rule. Were they able to read and write. Were they allowed to speak Irish. Was their family effected by the potato famine. How did they survive.
In fact I want them to paint a picture of their lives.

I would tell them that now you can talk to people in the USA. That Ireland (or most of it) got their Independance. And that their family are all well fed, well clothed and have freedom of choice.

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Jan 2010 15:27

I would like to ask my gt gt grandfather on one side, was his child 'his' , did he sing the folk songs or was it is son, ...and the gt grandad on the other side does he know what happened to his grand daughter after 1911, why did his son leave his first wife, did the family ever know about the second wife, did the second wife know about the first!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jan 2010 15:29

Hi Battle Maiden .no they were FAHSE with the umlaat over the "a" grt gran was Maria Marteus which seems French but on the 1891 and 1901 census they are all born germany. Maria died in 1907 just 3 weeks before my dad was born and at that time they were living with the elder sons family in SE London

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2010 15:51

I would ask one of my Maternal Gt Gt Grandfathers, Jesse Cox where his parents Richard and Margaret were born and who were their parents. And I would ask him who his wife's father John Little married, Elizabeth who, which John Little he was and was he born in Portsmouth or Kent.

And I would ask One of my Paternal Gt Gt Grandfathers Abraham Allen, why he went to France, where in France did he go, where in France was his son Seth born and did he Abraham die in France!!!

Such a lot of unanswered questions!

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 24 Jan 2010 16:43

I would ask my Great Grandfather what demons drove him to cut his throat, bless his heart. BC¬XX

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Jan 2010 18:18

I would ask GGgrandfather Henry who were his parents.
Every year since I've been researching, I get to a New Year and think, .'Perhaps this is the year I'll find Henry's parents', .....but I've spent hours in Winchester, Southampton and Newport, Isle of Wight looking with no answers in over 10 years.
Were they Thomas and Jane?.... Quite likely, as Henry and Thomas were both blacksmiths, but if so, why was Henry the only one of their children not baptised, .. in Beaulieu, ....or any of the surrounding parishes?

Gwyn

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 24 Jan 2010 20:00

G g grandfather, paternal, why he appeared by one surname along with a daughter when thyey lived in Lyme, and had another name for both when they appeared in Folkestone. I would ask my grand mother on Mums side, why all her daughters were so bad tempered! Also my Dads side, how come Dad was so educated when he left school at 11.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2010 20:42

Oh Island we can have F History discussions on here if we put our minds to it, Just needs somebody to come up with a thread.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Jan 2010 21:08

Another GG grandfather, George JONES.....b.abt 1813
I'd ask him......
Could you tell me where you were born please?
Southampton was shown as a birthplace on 1851 census, but it was a big place even then and a bit more help would be useful.
Who was your mother and who was your mother in law? I've looked for your wife Emily's baptism, but it isn't listed in the parish where she said she was born.
Where was your father James from? Was he born in Southampton too?
Please help me to learn more about your family.......

Gwyn

Linda

Linda Report 24 Jan 2010 21:51

I would ask my paternal grandad why he lied about how many brothers and sisters he had, ( the whole family always believed he was one of fifteen) he was on of eleven. Also what was the family rift, my grandad only spoke to one brother.

I have just found a cousin of my dads and when I wrote to him he had no knowledge of his uncles. His mother ( my g Aunt) only kept in touch with two of her sisters. The search goes on.

lynn

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 24 Jan 2010 23:07

Too many questions to list on here - except why my maternal great grandparents both "remarried" when their legal spouses were still alive
Liz

BrianW

BrianW Report 24 Jan 2010 23:08

I'd ask my great grandfather why he put his father as deceased when he got married for the first time; why he left his wife and four sons, why he took the name of his mistress and didn't tell his "new" family of his "old".

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 24 Jan 2010 23:10

Dear All

Hello

I would like to talk to my great-great-grandfather about he could have
3 occupations at once? And one of these seems to be without a licence!

Was he the Richard Branson of his day?

I would ask him where he sold his goods and find out where he was in 1901 as I have been unable to his family on the census.

I would ask my great-great grandmother about herbal remedies,
gypsy folklore and get her to show me the handicrafts made.

Best wishes
x

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 24 Jan 2010 23:40

I would also ask my son's paternal great-great grandmother, Ada, why she doesnn't appear on any Census till just before her marriage. At least not under the name she used on her marriage cert.

I have managed to find the man she says is her father (on her marriage) on a lot Census records, with his wife and many children, he even has the occupation she gives for him. (on marriage cert) However - he doesn't have a daughter called Ada. All his chilrden are born in a different part of the country, from where says she came.
No birth record for a girl called Ada, from either the place where her father and sibs lived, or where she gives as her place of birth on 1901 and 1911 Census. The address she gives on her marriage on the 1901 census have the house number the other way round.

Two of her daughters have the same names as two of her (allocated) father's daughters.
So why is she never with any of the rest of her allocated family, why didn't they register her birth.
Come on Ada, who are you really?

Julia

Julia Report 25 Jan 2010 11:07

I'm glad this thread has come to the top again. I will add in a while, when I have finished foing some typing for the OH.
Sees you all soon
Julia in Derbyshire

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 25 Jan 2010 11:31

I would ask.... *Mary, who was the father of your son?*

And.... *Caroline and Abraham, why did you disown your granddaughter?*

Oh.... and hubby's family? Which George Jones were you?

Love

Daff xxxxx

Julia

Julia Report 25 Jan 2010 12:39

Back now, so here goes

These are the questions I would like to ask my Gt.Gt. Grandad.

1. What did your first wife, my Gt.Gt. Grandmother die from. Was it in childbirth. (Not surprising by the record of your efforts)
2. Did you ever marry your second wife, sister of your first wife, because we cannot find an official marriage. (Where was this second 'wife' buried, as you were buried with your first, and legal wife)
3. Did this cause a rift with your two eldest children, eg. your eldest daughter, who was userped in the pecking order when you 'married' your second 'wife'. And, did it cause your eldest son and heir, my Gt Grandad, to leave the bosom of his family in Cambridgeshire, and settle in Nottinghamshire.
4. What happened to two of your daughters, as adults, who went to Singapore and Penang.
5. Your Grandmother, Rebecca, had a marvelous work ethic and managed to acquire over a 100 acres of farmland around Peterborough. Why was her eldest son stripped of his birthright.
6. And, speaking of Rebecca, I can find nine of her children, but another distant relative has found a further four, which I cannot.
7. Where are the descendants of your sister, who'se ancestors went to train horses for the Kaiser.
8. And talking of the Kaiser, when your own son went to join them and caught pneumonia, did he die in Germany and you had his body shipped back, or did he die here, because I note that he is buried in his home town.
9. Also, is he the person in the photo I have of a young lad in a back garden with a horse.
10. Talking of photo's, is another one that I have got, a picture of your daughter who went to Singapore, and who is the image of my youngest daughter.
11. Did that same daughter, escape the wrath of the Japanese in 1942, or is the myth that she was sunk on a boat on the way to Australia, really true.
12. Where in Essex did your mother actually come from, if it is to be believed, because it is a long way from Essex to Cambrisgeshire,for someone who was so young at the time, aswell as her sister.
13. Whilst it has been interesting in finding out about our family, some parts have not been easy, nay, frought with difficulty.
For instance, where did your Gt. Grandfather come from. To me, he just appears in 1743, in some land records. When was he born, and where. How many wives did he actually have. I definitely know of two, but suspect there was an earlier one than number two. Which one was the mother of grandfather's daughter Thomasina who appeared out of the blue, in his will. Where are her descendants now, as I know she had three children. I know she was married in 1739 in St. John's Baptist, Peterborough, but how old was she.
Well, that will do for starters, but I am sure I will find some more questions given time.

Julia in Derbyshire