General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

would you say a bob is commonly used as slang

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 28 Jan 2010 22:22

for a pound or money in general or do you associate it still with a shilling (5 pence)?

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 28 Jan 2010 22:22

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100124/tuk-mcdonald-s-pounded-over-bob-menu-adv-45dbed5.html

A new advert for McDonald's has come under fire over its inaccurate use of the English language.
The advert, which promotes the Pound Saver Menu, begins "the pound, also known as a bob", a statement which, strictly speaking, is not true.

Technically, a bob is a term for a shilling, or five pence, and of far less value than a pound.

More at the link above but.....

McDonald's has responded to complaints with an appeal to the ever-changing English language.

Their spokesperson has posted: "Although a 'bob' was formerly used as a slang term for the shilling until the introduction of decimalisation in 1971, research has shown it is now more commonly used as slang for a pound or money in general.

"As with many words in the English language, the technical meaning of words can change over time and although the word remains in use, what it signifies may develop into something else."

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 28 Jan 2010 22:26

they will be serving burgers on barmcakes next with bird seed on the top...whats it coming to Lesley *sighs**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 28 Jan 2010 22:28

lol :)

I don't know why I'm even that bothered, I don't even eat meat lol

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 28 Jan 2010 22:29

Thats ok it isnt meat.....:))))

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Jan 2010 22:30

They ought to make the effort to use language properly!
A bob was a shilling, (5p) a tanner was sixpence (21/2p), a florin was 2/- (10p) and half a crown was 2/6d (121/2p)
It's the language of the past, but still relevant and with it's own meaning.

How dare McDonalds think they can change the English language to suit their cr*p!!

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 28 Jan 2010 22:31

I would say it probably isn't commonly used where Iive tbh...

it's a quid/squid ......a bob is 5p to me and I was born post decimalisation xx

***ooo if it was 1971 it was during my time but i was only a baby lol xx

Hoobity

Hoobity Report 28 Jan 2010 22:32

Nope a bob is most deffo a shiling...therefore 10 x 1 bob's is 10 bob = 10 shilings = 50 pence...or so I'm told ...have I got that right....waits for older peeps to put me right ; )

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jan 2010 22:33

I have never heard a pound referred to as a bob.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 28 Jan 2010 22:34

me too well I was born but had no concept of currancy in 1971 but I do remember the really bit pennys dont remember 10 bob notes my son used to call 50p a square round one....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Jan 2010 22:35

I've never heard of a pound being termed a 'bob', either.
People may say 'lend us a bob' - but is that modern slang, a way of not stating what you'd like to borrow or using old terminology in a new context?

Hoobity

Hoobity Report 28 Jan 2010 22:38

Er in defence of Mc-mickey dees ( sp ) their burgers are 100% beef

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 28 Jan 2010 22:38

10 bob notes where the best............if you had one of those you where rich beyond belief............lol

I've not heard anyone use the expression " bob " in reference to a modern day pound either .

suzian

suzian Report 28 Jan 2010 23:02

Ref below

"Their spokesperson has posted: "Although a 'bob' was formerly used as a slang term for the shilling until the introduction of decimalisation in 1971, research has shown it is now more commonly used as slang for a pound or money in general.

"As with many words in the English language, the technical meaning of words can change over time and although the word remains in use, what it signifies may develop into something else.""

All I can say is - what a pile of McShite. What research, eh?

Maybe they're applying their ideas about our food changing into McPulp to our language?

sue x

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 29 Jan 2010 11:58

Rubbish...where did they get that one from?

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 29 Jan 2010 12:00

I've never heard a pound called a bob before now...what a load of rubbish.

A pound is a quid. A shiling is a bob.

Oh well, McDonalds only make themselves look like idiots, glad we don't have to put any effort into it for them lol

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 29 Jan 2010 12:01

Rule Britannia
two tanners make a bob
three make one and six
and four two bob

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Jan 2010 12:22

Costs a few Bob- quite expensive

but

Only a few Bob - fairly cheap

Suppose it's all relative, but a Bob is/was definately 1/- aka 5p!!!

And didn't you feel wealthy if you were given a 10/- note as a gift??!!!!

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 29 Jan 2010 16:07

Nah! what a load of cobblers.

Why can't they just admit that they got it wrong.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Jan 2010 16:29

Just ask a REAL Boy Scout what a Bob is...........

it was the price, per Job that they used to raise funds

Bob- A-Job-Week

Where may I ask did they do their research? or was it done from calcutta or mumbai?

Bob( a real one)