General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Da Vinci Code

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Uggers

Uggers Report 31 Jan 2010 19:39

I know there were loads of threads about this ages ago but I'm only just reading it now. I think it's brilliantly constructed and really *hard to put down*. I'm just finding it's really disappointing that all this stuff probably isn't true:(

Is the film any good?

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 31 Jan 2010 19:41

The film is good but not on the scale of the book Tom Hanks does well but I like him ~ I had angels and demons for christmas was not so good imho but then Im not actually allowed to watch such things

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 31 Jan 2010 19:41

Tried but got fed up with it.

Read the Holy Blood The Holy Grail about 15 yrs ago and it blew my mind......(kept an open mind throughout and still have) But I found having read that it got in the way of my enjoyment of the Da Vinci Code.

Maybe I should try again...........xx

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 31 Jan 2010 19:41

After reading the book I found the film a disappointment, but have to agree about the book, a good read well thought out.
Stu.

Uggers

Uggers Report 31 Jan 2010 19:45

I've not been tempted to watch the film cos I don't really like Tom Hanks. But I would guess it's pretty to watch?

Muffy, I would *love* this stuff to be true - I thought The Holy Blood The Holy Grail had been fairly well discredited now - is it still supposed to hold up quite well?

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 31 Jan 2010 19:46

It depends on who you speak to.

Knowing a few freemasons pretty well......there is supposed to be a basis in truth to it......

Though obviously if they tell me too much they'd have to kill me LOL xx

Uggers

Uggers Report 31 Jan 2010 19:48

Oh that's enough for me, Muffy. I usually believe in things I want to be true;) So, is that a good read then?

Thanks Lynda - I can read the code word there:)))

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 31 Jan 2010 19:48

Haven't seen the film, liked the book. Preferred the 1st book though (which I read second) called Angel and Demons.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 31 Jan 2010 19:49

I'd give it a go......

In fact I may dig out my copy and have another read......it was quite heavy going and a while ago now since I read it......but it would be interesting to see if it still makes me think along the same lines nowadays xx

Uggers

Uggers Report 31 Jan 2010 19:49

SRS, I don't know anything about that - am only reading it by accident but am glad I am - is it a prequel then?

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 31 Jan 2010 19:52

I thought the film was even worse than the book, which was difficult, but they managed it.

I loved the Tony Robinson programme where he debunked it thoroughly.

He did the same with the latest one which I've only managed to read 50 or so pages of. When I pick it up I lose the will to live after a few pages.

Gwynne

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 31 Jan 2010 19:53

I haven't read the book, but seen the film, and I enjoyed it. I do wonder what all the fuss was about, it's clearly a piece of fiction, nothing more, but putting that aside, it was very good and very well done, and an excellent story.

I've read Angels and Demon, which was written before the Da Vinci Code, and that was really really well written, full of mood and atmosphere.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 31 Jan 2010 19:54

yes, I think most people read it second because they heard of the Da Vinci code first and then go back and read the 1st book.

It's a good yarn but there are bits which are a tad farfetched lol.

Uggers

Uggers Report 31 Jan 2010 19:54

Hello me dear, you sound like you've had a whack with the grumpy stick:)) I'm loving the book - I know it ain't great literature but it's cleverly constructed I think.

I've lost all faith in Tony Robinson after that bunkum of a programme about Cecily Neville.

Uggers

Uggers Report 31 Jan 2010 20:02

Well I think I'll read the other book and try the film even if it is crap cos it's better to judge for yourself really. Thanks all:))

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 31 Jan 2010 20:03

Tony's only as good as his researchers, Uggers.

Of course I've been hit with the grumpy stick - 'imself has taken early retirement and is going to be a kept man.

He's already offering me helpful advice about how I should spend my time.

Gwynne

Uggers

Uggers Report 31 Jan 2010 20:05

Oh dear. Can't you get him to take up golf or have an affair or something?

A poor presenter always blames his researchers.....

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 31 Jan 2010 20:05

I was always told that the Holy Blood The Holy Grail was alagorical(sp) in much the same way that the bible is supposed to be.....(if your mind runs along those lines).....you have to look beyond the *story* and look deeper into it for the answers. It doesn't answer questions per se but leaves you to reach your own conclusions pretty much.

I watched that prog with someone who is far more widely read on the subject than I and he said that Tony Robinsons premises were made using American Freemasonary which is totally different to the Grand Lodge of England.(Actually the phrase he used was *US freemasonary is a total prostitution*)..my problem is I'm never likely to be in on it because I won't be allowed to bear my left breast and roll up my trousers legs LOLOLOL xx

Uggers

Uggers Report 31 Jan 2010 20:07

lol - I will give it a go when I come across a copy. Have to say I came across a lot of the arguments about the repression of the feminine when I was at university so there's a lot of *stuff* that isn't exclusive to these sort of books

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 31 Jan 2010 20:11

I'm hoping his love affair with his guitars (several) will keep him occupied a lot of the time. Plus the cooking, obviously.

I enjoyed The Holy Blood.... even though it was a load of nads, I love a good conspiracy theory. There isn't much secret left to be known about the Masons these days, I shouldn't have thought.

I will forgive Tony almost anything because I love Time Team and Baldrick.

Gwynne