General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP NEEDED PICKING A WASHING MACHINE?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

penny,lane.

penny,lane. Report 5 Feb 2010 22:03

Can I ask for some help picking a good washing machine please.
My last one was a SERVIS but would not buy one again as all it's done is break down.
any addvise please.
penny.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 5 Feb 2010 22:30

I have had Hoover for years,even had a Hoover twin tub back in the 60's,then when Automatics came out I bought Hoover again.
And the one I have got now,I have had 10 yrs and no repairs at all for this one or any of the other Hoovers I have had.

PomPom

PomPom Report 5 Feb 2010 22:38

I have had two washing machines since 1983, they have both been CANDY. The first was a washer/drier, the second Fast Spin washer.
I use the machine nearly every day

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 5 Feb 2010 22:45

How many children do you have ??

penny,lane.

penny,lane. Report 5 Feb 2010 23:08

Thank's for your help so far, I was looking at a Hoover on here today and I'm keeping that one in mind, sorry I'v not herd of CANDY, yes the Indesit I'v had befor and was not impressed.
we will look around tomorrow to see what is in the shop's.
No kid's at home, just other half and me.
any more you can think of, thank's.
penny.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 5 Feb 2010 23:13

That reduces your wash loads ...

We have a ise which runs on volvo springs ...so I,m told! so good for tonnes of large loads and spins!!

my mum is alone and has a hoover very good and realiable

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 5 Feb 2010 23:29

Look at the Bosh or Miele ranges, both are very good.

Funnily enough the best people to ask are the local washing machine repair people.......they know better than anyone which are the most reliable machines :-))

Mary

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Feb 2010 23:37

Some machines have enough programmes and buttons to nigh on fly you to the moon.... In my experience a couple like yourself would probably only use about 3 of these most of the time.

Think about what you need it to do.
eg.
Do you want a delayed start option?
Do you want a fast spin?
Do you want a gentle / handwash option?

I like my Bosch.

Gwyn

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Feb 2010 00:16

Make sure the half wash /economy wash is really a half wash.
I assumed the economy wash on mine was a wash that used half the water - wrong - it's a bleedy cold wash!!!!
There's only me so it's useless - I don't like the idea of washing my stuff in cold water!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Feb 2010 00:18

Don't rule out a washer/drier for occssional use.

They are fine for towels and denim jeans which take ages to dry indoors. Since mine is only used for those, Jusitne may be correct in regard to other loads.

Our current washer/drier is a Zanussi.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Feb 2010 00:36

I don't use the drier function on ours very frequently, mainly because of the amount of energy it uses. And you're right about it tying up the laundry aspect.

From what my SiL says, seperate driers do give a bettter result, but then not everyone has room for 2 seperate units - lol

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 Feb 2010 03:35

I had a thread up a while back when we had to get a new washer/dryer and lots of people put info on the thread, I will try and find it.
We got a Hotpoint washer/dryer but altho it is ok, I am not that impressed, mainly because I don't have any control over the length of a separate spin cycle or drying time, on our old one I could do things for as long or little as I wanted. It also seems to take a long time to do the wash but it might be the same as the other one, I can't remember now.

Lizx

ann

ann Report 6 Feb 2010 08:29

I have a Miele.Very expensive but worth it.My daughter bought one 13 years ago and its been to Lanzarote and back and still not seen a repair man.
Annie

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 6 Feb 2010 08:44

Do you have to choose between a top load and a front load. In Oz we are encouraged to buy a front load because of the water consumption. We were offered cash incentives to buy the most water economical.

I had a top load machine for years. Did what I wanted it to, when I wanted and for how long.

Now I have a front load, and never again. I can't chuck the extra little bit in after the cycle has started I can stop and start it without a lot a trouble and I can't successfully wash larger items, curtains, quilts. And a full wash cycle take over two and a half hours. I am constantly washing on the quick or daily wash cycle, so why bother having all the additional options.

And what cheeses me off the most. The damn thing hasn't missed a beat since I bought it.

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 6 Feb 2010 12:28

Pennylane, In 38 years of marriage I've had 3 brands,all very reliable-Simpson,
Westinghouse and Hoover.I've had 2 Westinghouses,and they have been fantastic.My current Westinghouse has never seen a serviceman,I have had it for about 12+ years.It's a top loader,and the quickest,most basic cold wash programme takes a little over half an hour. I never bother with the heavy or delicate cycles.

I wouldn't have a combination washer/drier because when one isn't working,neither is the other.

Good luck, Margot.

**Snowdrop**

**Snowdrop** Report 6 Feb 2010 19:23

BOSCH machines are brilliant, loads better than the cheaper makes, I wouldn't buy any other make now.

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 7 Feb 2010 04:06

Penny lane,to add to my post above-Miele has an excellent name.
Also,Bosch is usually pretty good,but my sister had one,and it only lasted about 5-6 years---(built-in obsolescence.)

Margot.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 7 Feb 2010 04:22

Have a look at

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/laundry-and-cleaning/index.jsp

Rose

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Feb 2010 05:21

I did nudge up the earlier thread but it's slipped down a few pages now.

Lizx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Feb 2010 13:45

I have a Bosch - great - apparently Miele is the best but also the most expensive