General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I an SO sorry to see members bickering

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Feb 2010 16:37

I joined some time ago and have made some family connections on both sides of my family . still hope to find more as we all do,
I have been to several meets at Maidstone and London and met some lovely people who have the same interest as me in finding their family tree. Have been really taken aback when being contacted by descendents of siblings of MY rellies and realise how far families can fan out.
I know that Genes is a chat site too and we all have our opinions but its really sad when people get on their high horse and fall out .WHY??
I have met some really lovely people at meets and would say that overall they all have the same obiective in tracing their roots,
Can.t we cast aside differences and agree to disagree on some subjects

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Feb 2010 16:39

I too have met some lovely people on this site - met them at meets and "met" them on the boards

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 6 Feb 2010 16:43

I can honestly say, I've met some great people, and hope to meet more as time goes by. I've made some really good friends with people I wouldn't have met otherwise. But the good comes with the bad and you have to take the rough with the smooth, as they saying goes.

There's more good about this site, than the problems a very small minority cause from time to time.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 6 Feb 2010 17:22

I think there are only a few who consistently cause a bit of chaos. Mainly because they have BIG "voices"!

Don't think the odd minor spat does much harm and some of them are just too funny for words, although obviously not for the participants at the time.

And overall the boards have been fairly quiet over the last few weeks - which has been good.

Jill

Ladylol Pusser Cat

Ladylol Pusser Cat Report 6 Feb 2010 17:26

im more than willing xx

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 6 Feb 2010 17:29

Tonight is the first time I have ever hit that RR button but I just couldn't sit by and read the foul & abusive messages that were being posted.
Within about half an hour I was glad to see the thread removed.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Feb 2010 17:32

I hit it just at the time it was deleted!!!!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Feb 2010 17:38

Its so sad though to see spats arising I know I was helping someone off line by PM only to get chastised when i posted an online reply and someone took umbrage and was really off with me
We really should remember ,as my ole mum used to say, speak as you want to be spoken too.
i go back to my original remark . its sad that people can get the wrong end of the stick and sometimes misinterpret the tone of written word

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 6 Feb 2010 17:42

That's true Shirley.

But I feel in some cases it's not necessarily just a misinterpretation of the wording it's perhaps someone being a bit over-sensitive.

Now whether that's becuase they are the over-sensitive type or because they have a bit of a guilty conscience I don't know, but I do wonder about it occasionally.

Jill

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 6 Feb 2010 18:02

You're right, and some do take things in completely the wrong way, or imagine something that is said in all innocence is taken as a dig at them...but hey, that happens in real life too.

All I know is that there is much to be said about the community feel of these boards, in spite of the occasional 'heated debate' etc. It's that that keeps me coming back, not all the nastiness. If it was just that I'd have left long ago.

Uggers

Uggers Report 6 Feb 2010 18:05

Hello Shirley:)

It's always been a pleasure to see you and you always seem to avoid getting into the bickering on here but some of us just can't help ourselves ;)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Feb 2010 18:14

Uggers LOL I do try to avoid confrontation and sometime read threads and wonder how they go so pear shape.
its such a shame cos you meet poeple in the flesh ,so to speak , & you know what a LOVELY bunch uS GENES family are !!!!!!!!!!!!

Berona

Berona Report 6 Feb 2010 22:31

Shirley - Take no notice of the spats. You will find that it's the same people all the time, waiting to pounce as soon as certain others make a comment.

It's all a performance. Problem is, though, the players are the same and the script never changes. Very boring.

Uggers

Uggers Report 6 Feb 2010 22:32

I think we are lovely on the whole Shirley too;)

Joy

Joy Report 6 Feb 2010 22:44

Life is too short for bickering.

Uggers

Uggers Report 6 Feb 2010 22:45

Joy, life is too short for not letting people know what you think;)

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 6 Feb 2010 22:46

Very true Joy :)

Very true Uggers :)

Surely there's a way of letting people know what you think without bickering :)

Uggers

Uggers Report 6 Feb 2010 22:47

It's not the letting them know that causes the problem, SRS, it's their reaction to it usually ;)