General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A really good book...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 8 Feb 2010 16:03

I'm reading The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton, and I'm really enjoying this one. Some of her descriptions just blow me away. Anyone else read it?

What are you reading at the moment?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Feb 2010 16:14

Yes, Greaders read it a while back, a great book, loved it. I have just finished Maureen Lipman's latest book, Past it Notes. A great book and a good example of how to move from humour to sadness and back again. Her one liners are very funny and kept me giggling, awkward as I was reading in bed and OH was trying to sleep.

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 8 Feb 2010 16:16

I've only got as far as the maid being pregnant lol. Just my kind of story, and the kind of 'voice' I've been looking for too. Can't wait to get her other book.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Feb 2010 16:23

Do you mean the House at Riverton? We read that too, great!!!

Julia

Julia Report 8 Feb 2010 16:34

TeresaW, I have both books in my bedroom bookcase to read, but have not got round to them yet. I got both titles off of Ann's Greaders thread.
I am still trying to get a copy of Arthur and George, also recommended on Ann's thread.
Julia in Derbyshire

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 8 Feb 2010 16:37

Yes Ann, that's the one. My next book buy. lol

Julia, you should read them. I can recommend The Forgotten Garden.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 8 Feb 2010 16:42

Just finished Shafted by AmandaSue Heller, its the second one I have read of hers and I have enjoyed both.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Feb 2010 16:43

Not heard of that one Hayley, will look out for it.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 8 Feb 2010 16:58

she writes about manchester alot , I also enjoy Kitty Neal as well. I am a great fan offt stories set in the 19th century for some reason but not over struck on Catherine Cookson.

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 8 Feb 2010 17:02

Well this one is over three periods, Cornwall at the turn of the century, Australia and Cornwall in 1975 and Australia and Cornwall in 2005, though the Cornish parts could really be about anywhere, as the description is more about society than place.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 8 Feb 2010 17:09

It sounds my cup of tea, I would enjoy that I am trying to think of the an author something Ahrene I think modren fairy story really sad to start with but it was one of the funniest things I have every read she had one of her books made in a film, I hate to read anything I know what is going to happen on the next page before I read it, and another one I have read both this womens books Josphine something she constantly repeats herself ..like a big dark secret , she is trying her hardest not to reveal till as late as possible...I have read songbird she wrote and hated that but was ready to give her a second chance and read another she has had it with me now....

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 8 Feb 2010 17:13

I'll post it on to you when I'm done with it Hayley, if you like, then you can post it to Muffy lol

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 8 Feb 2010 17:26

ok will do thank you

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 8 Feb 2010 17:28

OK give me a few days, I've got about a quarter left to read. xx

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Feb 2010 17:29

Maggie Bennett,
A Childs Voice Calling,,just a bedtime novel,set in 20th centrey London.....but has been well researched for story line,very good......

Uggers

Uggers Report 8 Feb 2010 17:34

I've just read The Da Vinci Code which I really enjoyed and am now reading a Thomas Hardy I've never read before:)

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 8 Feb 2010 17:36

my sister said I have weird taste, as I read a true story about the murder of a 3yr old boy in a middle class family in the 9th centrury, the attention to detail was amazing it was very well researched and copies of the census transcripts as the back of the book even some of the newpaper cuttings where people has written in giving their version of events, one vicar demanded the gardener was arrested at once (he found the bodie of the boy and was innocent, the police force wasnt very old and scotland yard was in its infancy, there was outrage by the magisrets (sp) because the family had been questioned by a detective who was way advanced for his time and the family were middle class as if they were involved there is more to the story my sister found it boring I couldnt put it down..

Julia

Julia Report 8 Feb 2010 17:40

Hayley, can't run up the stairs at the moment to look at proper title of the book you have just mentioned, but is it something like The something something of Mr Whisher. It sounds very much like it.
Julia in Derbyshire

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 8 Feb 2010 17:43

Yes thats the one Julia have you read it ? Did you enjoy it?

Julia

Julia Report 8 Feb 2010 17:48

I thought that was the same one Hayley. No, I have not read it yet, but looking forward to when I do. I seem to be 'bogged' down in several John Grisham books at the moment, because I always go and buy them from the League of Friends shop when I am in hospital. Gives me somewhere to walk to to stretch me legs, and get some fresh air. If you know what I mean.
If I have a forthcoming appointment with the consultant, I always make up a bag of books I have read, and when I am in with consultant, OH takes them along to the shop to help boost their funds
Julia in Derbyshire