General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 0 + 1 of 1730

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Apr 2014 08:39

Morning all and evening Kim,

some blue sky and some grey sky and a little sun now and then is the only way to discribe today here at the present time.

Don't know where we are going today so I shall have to wait and see what they have decided when they arrive here.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Apr 2014 21:44

Had a day in today to recover but they will be here tomorrow morning at about 9 to 9.30am.

Don't know where we are going tomorrow but shall find out when they get here.

At 12.25pm today the bantams started hicking up a real stink so I went to go out and on the side of my pond was a huge heron. Oh was asleep so I clapped my hands and frightened it away. I hav'nt got the netting round the pond at the mo as the strong wind blew it down and broke some of the supports. Anyway I came in to see if oh had woken up and he had'nt so went out agan for a ciggy and saw a piece of newspaper flapping around on the path round the pond. I suddenly realised there was no wind!! Rushed down and it was my HUGE Fatty Arebuckle shubunkin on the path. I picked her up carefully and popped her back in the pond just holding her in my hands for a few seconds to make sure she was moving and then she swam away. She looked a bit red in patches she is not usually. It must have been the heron had taken her out and she was too big. All the other fish were right down the bottom of the pond as if they knew they were safer there. Did'nt see it anymore during the day. I was glad I was in and not out for the day otherwise she would certainly have died or been taken away. I wonder now how many it has had before??????

Frank

Frank Report 20 Apr 2014 19:23

Evening "CAMPERS" I am sorry I haven't been around, but I have been "CHILLING".

Saturday morning I had a lay in and listened to "Treasure Hunt" till after 10.00 am. Ros went off to meet Martine. I had my shower and shave and sat and watched James Martin, till it was time to go to the pub for the match.. Home for 2.45 pm Ros had made a nice prawn roll, with a Morriso#s salad. Which went down a treat. The armchair was so comfortable, I sat and slept for an hour.

We had a nice Chinese last night, and I watched various things on the Conservatory Tele.

Was in bed by 11.00 am and didn't get up till 9.30 am after Ros bought my tea in.

I prepared dinner for tonight, Leg of pork, apple sauce, Jersey Royals, Cauliflower and leeks in a cheese sauce, Parsnips, carrots, runner beans and Yorkshire pudding. As usual I cooked too much, and we have half a dozen new potato's left, which Ros will eat cold. !! (I can't stand them)

We have had drizzle here this afternoon, but not enough to do any good, so I went out and watered the Greenhouse, Patio and Front pots etc. I hadn't been in ten minutes when the clouds opened and it poured down for an hour. (SODS LAW)

I see you have been little "PIGGIES" with the chocs and eggs. I have one that I haven't started yet. Might have a bit later.

It is surprising what the high water has done to the beech Mel, I bet it's lake that all around the coast.

Forecast isn't great for tomorrow, but if it's anything like being decent , we might have a rid out somewhere and have lunch out.

Packing is all done, cases weighed all within the limits. I see RYA#AIR are saying you can take two pieces of hand luggage, what good is that to us, and we can't bring it back :-D :-D :-D :-D

Have a good day tomorrow, whatever you might be doing.

I hope I will get on in the morning.

Magpie

Magpie Report 20 Apr 2014 18:58

Family have just gone!!!! I do feel rather exhausted, but at least we don't need anything more to eat and the dishwasher is doing the business!!! Years and years ago Ann I had a tabletop, Colston I think the make was, and it was brilliant. Then we had a Zanusi full size which lasted for years. After we went to Somerset and there was only the two of us I didn't have one for the time we were there, but with re-appearance of the family en masse on a regular basis we had a re-think (thank goodness!!) and bought a Slimline which is perfect for the two of us, like you Jane, I wouldn't be without it!
Feeling really chuffed as SIL has asked us to stay with them in Sept in Limoges! We will probably drive and then go to the WW1 war graves and visit OH's Grandfather's grave. We could do with some time away, so something to look forward to.

Annx

Annx Report 20 Apr 2014 18:57

I haven't looked at the tomatoes today Jane. OH reckons they looked ok this morning when he opened the door a few inches......but then he didn't notice when they were flopped did he! I will check things over tomorrow, they were over a foot high as well and doing great. You sound very torn about where to sleep!! I find it hard enough to sleep as it is and never, ever could have slept with someone next to me reading a book, even though I read in bed before I was married myself!! lol. A spare double all to yourself is good, I like to spread out!

Mandy I love seeing little seedlings poke through the soil, it's like magic! You've reminded me I have some basil seeds to plant, I haven't grown it from seed before. I had trouble with cracked skin on my elbow when my thyroid levels dropped and found that cracked heel cream helped with that. Hands are in water so much aren't they which doesn't help.

Has Frank gone on his hols already?

Jane

Jane Report 20 Apr 2014 16:08

Ouch Mandy those splits in your fingers will be so sore :-(.have you got any of those cotton mitts that you an get in any pharmacy )? You just plaster your hands with some really really good moisturiser and wear the gloves all night.
Now be honest what size bar of chocolate was it you had ? when you say small I bet it wasn't the diddiest one ;-).The bag of Maltesers I had the other night was a big pouch lol :-D...
What a pity about Anns tomato plants :-(.Maybe a miracle has happened and they have perked up.I think ours are ok .
It seems to be brightening up a little bit now.No sun ,but no more rain.It's pretty breezy still though.I wonder what tomorrow will bring.
I might actually go back to our bed tonight,but if I am totally honest I am quite enjoying having a spare double all to myself.I go up armed with my laptop,mobile phone and Kindle lol and spread them all over the bed..I couldn't do that in our bed.
What happened to the days when I just went to bed with a book and a husband ???

Annx

Annx Report 20 Apr 2014 15:59

Afternoon All,

Yes Mandy, it was a BIG bar, a nice praline filled one I hadn't tried before!! :-D Somehow I don't fancy one today though! Now then, own up.....I bet those 2 eggs were out of reach for little hands and really for you later!! lol.

It's quite dull and showery here with the sun peeking through for a few minutes every now and then. We were going for a walk but have changed our minds and are staying in now. We found a garden centre that had opened for lunch earlier and luckily few people seemed to know about it so there was no queuing and the plates were enormous with pork, beef and chicken on offer.

Liz, you sound as if you will be busy over easter! Of course you needed a dishwasher as you found out!! I had a narrow one first in the 70s when we did up an old house, but even with just 2 of us a bigger one is better as I can get the oven racks in it! What I like is that the kitchen looks tidier when you can hide the dirty dishes away. With the all in one tablets these days you don't even need to bother with salt.

Fiona, your MIL will have been pleased to get some comfy shoes, I have some of the Paver ones.

How was the new pillow last night Jane? I hope it helped.

Mel, I would have been shattered after your day yesterday! Fancy the storms moving things like that on the beach. It will be interesting to see what other beaches are like when we go to Cornwall. It seems traditional doesn't it......bikers at Easter and bank holidays. A lot gather at Matlock in Derbyshire. Someone round here has one of the 3 wheelers with the high up cowhorn handlebars. He sometimes wears one of those knotted scarves on his head.....like a pirate! lol. Did you keep your leathers or are they gone now?

Won't Frank be packing for his hols? ;-) :-)

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 20 Apr 2014 15:12

No Jane i told the children i'd save them for them when i found them ,i had a small bar of chocolate just before i went out to do some weeding ,and that was just to give me a bit of energy ;-) ;-) :-D well i carn't do weeding if i feel weak !!! LOL

Phew it's quite warm out now in the sun , the ground is so dry though we could really do with a nice rain .

Been in the green house and watered don't want to lose my tomatoes like Ann :-0
My seeds are coming through i can just see a little green .

I wonder if they might be taking a tree down in the church yard ,the other day i saw three men eyeing it up and pointing ,the tree has ivy growing all over it ,it's just smothering it ,right from the bottom to the top and it's quite a big Sycamore tree, i was watching them from the kitchen window as i thought they looked a bit shifty :-D

My poor hands are so dry ,i have little splits right on the ends near the edges of my nails ,just were you grip things , i have been ladling on the hand cream too.

Better get the kettle on ,hubby's watching the car racing .....bores me to death , i carn't stand the droning noise !!

Jane

Jane Report 20 Apr 2014 13:44

Mandy I was just about to say No Frank yesterday ..That's not like him is it,and it is now afternoon and nothing today.
Come on Frank ...come out of hiding :-D :-D.

So then Mandy have you eaten the 2 eggs? ;-)..It's miserable here ,not good for an egg hunt.I used to love hiding the eggs for Hannah and James.
My Mum was so funny with Easter eggs when she had Dementia.She always loved Chocolate anyway so she always had plenty of eggs.She would row them up on the top of the bookcase behind her chair and then be so surprised to see them when she got up from her chair lol.Her face would light up and she would wonder where they had all come from. :-D :-D.She would then munch her way though them at a rate of knots and then wonder why she had a tummy ache..It was just the look on her face .Her eyes lit up and she would say"OOOH Chocolate ,I haven't had any chocolate for a long time" yes right Mum ...all of half an hour lol Bless her. :-D :-D

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 20 Apr 2014 13:12

Afternoon all,

Happy Easter to Everyone .

Funny old day here sunny one minute then it clouds over ,we have had a few spots of rain but not really enough to wet the ground .

Little ones came for the Egg Hunt ,i usually count the eggs as i lay them out, we were two short when they counted up ,i have just found them now they have gone ....in the hanging basket !! :-D :-D i forget where i've put them .

Oh Ann, naughty girl eating a whole bar of chocolate !! :-D was it a big bar ? :-D

Mel we use to see the bikes when they all came to Great Yarmouth loads of Harleys and lots of Scooters they would all park up along the sea front .
Your having some nice days out and i bet it's nice not having to cook too.

Busy time for you this weekend then Liz, yes what would we do without the dish washers ,i'd certainly miss mine when the family comes it some times get loaded twice !!
We're off tomorrow to look at washing machines ,mines making one heck of a noise when it spins and it's suppose to be super silent !! hubby thinks it's the bearings and as iv'e had it quite a while we thought a new one would be better than getting this one repaired .

No Frank yesterday ?

Jane

Jane Report 20 Apr 2014 10:36

Morning/Evening All

What a day you had yesterday Mel.I bet the icing on the cake were all those Bikes :-D :-D The weather here so far for the Easter has been pretty poor.Today it is all grey and feather misty looking :-S.
Fiona ,you have been lucky with all your sunshine.That makes a change ,as it is normally us down south that have that and you have the rain.I'm glad you have been able to enjoy it this weekend :-D

Another busy weekend for you then Liz with family. Yes what we do without our dishwashers now.I know I put off having one for years .Thinking how lazy people were just shoving their dishes in the machine .But when we moved here I had one fitted with the kitchen.........how wonderful :-D :-D :-D.It has to be one of my favourite bits of equipment :-D Who wants to stand for ages at the sink with bowls of greasy water when the machine can do it for you lol

I can see the horses coats are blowing in the wind.I think they all have one on so it must be chilly.

I suppose I had better get moving .I am still sat in the bed . :-0 :-0

Magpie

Magpie Report 20 Apr 2014 10:18

HAPPY EASTER TO ONE AND ALL.

We are spending the day with family (here - of course!!) L and her entourage for lunch, M and his 'partner'(!) for the afternoon. They are having lunch elsewhere, and coming here later for Easter cake! Tomorrow we are having friends for the day, so it will be a busy w/end. thank goodness for that dishwasher! to think I nearly didn't have one! what a mistake that would have been!!

Fiona

Fiona Report 20 Apr 2014 10:12

Happy Easter Day to Everyone,

We have had lovely weather the last 3 days and have managed to sit out in the back garden for most of the time, which has been good if you had a job to do and MIL wasn't left to long by her self. though she did bring her word search book with her.

MIL managed to go with us to Glasgow yesterday to the Hotter shoe shop , where she bought 2 pairs of shoes, and then we went to Barratts shoe shop and she got some clogs in the Pavers section , she has a sore heel at the moment and all her shoes are rubbing so Dr says it could be something to do with a tendon in her foot, also there is a lot of swelling round the ankle, so it was good to get shoes that don't rub.

Katherine and Jake are working or out with friends today so won't see grandma today, Victoria is also working so it will just be Daniele & the children that will come for dinner, have done a treasure hunt for Sofia and put some little eggs round the garden, hope it stays nice or I will have to bring them in and put them around the rooms downstairs. have included some for Matteo too.

Coffee time then off to church, :-D :-D

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Apr 2014 09:47

Grey and cloudy this morning but the wind seems to have dropped for a while.

It was another lovely sunny day here yesterday but there was an easterly breeze off shore which was a bit chilly.

After dropping Alan down at the fishing place with oh us girls went off towards Bude and stopped for lunch at Brooks Nursary. Then I bought three more tom plants and a couple of other things to put away for pressies and we went on through Bude to Widemouth bay which used to be a very sandy beach with lots of lovely big round pebbles. After those terrible high tides and the big waves the pebbles were all over the beach and where we used to walk around some rocks on sand to beaches further along which had nice pebbles up by the cliffs the sand had all gone and it was all well weather rocks with a little stream running through. No easy for Stephanie to get over. Anyway we did it but it was quite chilly and we had left our coats in the car which was a long way away.

The boys rang after a while to say they were back from fishing and they were just having a shower and changing and they would be down Bude soon so we made our way back and went on to Bude and parked by the canal.Did'nt have to wait too long for them to arrive and we walked over to get an ice cream. While we were waiting for the boys I suddenly heard a sound I had'nt heard for a long while, many years in fact, it was an outing of bikers on huge motor bykes. We heard the come down th ehill into Bude and the round from where we were sitting. When the boys came and we walked across the road all the bikes were parked alongside the canal. Masses of Harley Davisons, Suzuki's etc. Bikes with handle bars right up in the air. There seemed to be two clubs one was Satans Angels from Devon and the other was soemthing begining with A from Cornwall. The really showed off when they left making much noise. It was great to hear that sound again and brought back meny memories of my Rocker days all leathered up and speeding throughthe roads.

On the way home the boys picked up fish and chips and brought them in where us girls had the plates etc all ready for it. We had a lovely meal and after a while the company left and I was so tired I just made a few cigs and went to bed where oh was already snoring away. That was just before 11pm so very early for me but I don't remember a thing after turning the telly off and slept till nearly 9am.

So here I am still not really feeling with it. Don't know whats happening today yet.

So I will say to all my friends out there.........

Hope you all have a wonderfull Easter Sunday whatever you are doing.

Annx

Annx Report 19 Apr 2014 20:17

I just got a cuppa to sit down with. Earlier I went in the greenhouse and found the tomato plants all wilted! :-S I skipped the watering yesterday as they had a good soak the day before. OH has opened the door and shut it later the last 2 days, but he wouldn't think to see if the plants were dry or wilted would he. :-| Oh well, I've watered them now but I think they are past resussitation!! lol. At least the other plants were ok though.

That's ideal being able to use the waste wood on your fire Mandy. :-D Saves your OH having to get rid of it elsewhere as well. :-)

Oh I had a lapse in my good intentions today and ate a big bar of choccy.....wish I hadn't now. :-S Why can't I just eat a couple of bits and not the whole bar. It will stop me fancying any more for a long time!!

Jane,like you said the other day, everywhere you look it's yellow fields and that sickly smell. I have just stocked up on hayfever tabs ready.

Think I'm off to bed soon I feel really weary. <3Happy Easter to you all. <3 Don't eat too much choccy like me. ;-)

Jane

Jane Report 19 Apr 2014 16:57

Just lost a post :-S.
So shortened version now.

Free wood for your fire Mandy :-D :-D.Lucky you.
I'd go with the Gammon tomorrow if it is just you two.

As Freddy Parrot face Davies used to say .....I',m thick ,thick ,thick up to here (with my cough)..Chris says it could well go on for longer .....thanks a bunch Chris :-S
I am better off staying indoors as it is worse outside.I think the Oil seed rape and all the pollen s are not helping at all at the moment.

Have decided on tea and it will be Burgers with a pat of cheese thing on top,chips,mushrooms and peas. Simple :-D :-D

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 19 Apr 2014 15:58

Afternoon all,

Bit on the chilly side here when the sun goes in ,Jake has been here today helping hubby with the wood ,hubby's been cutting and Jake's been stacking it away in the wood shed ,son has just picked him up on their way to DIL's parents house .
The wood hubby's been cutting is some from the job he is doing ,it's all the wood from the roof of the garage so it's nice and dry and is FREE HEAT !! :-D :-D

Ann, i don't think i would be very happy with people backing into my drive (if i had one ) what about getting one of those little signs that says NO TURNING !! lots of people have those i've noticed .

Mel, sounds as if you are having some nice days out ,hope the weather keeps fine for you .

Jane that cough is really lingering on , i carn't sleep propped up either i find by the morning my shoulders really hurt as my arms don't seem to have any where to lay if you know what i mean .
It will be nice for James to go out with his friends to celebrate his first week of work ,hope he has a good time .
Not sure what we will be eating tomorrow ,i think it will be some thing easy ,i have cooked a piece of Gammon and did wonder if i should cook a Turkey Crown i have in the freezer but with just the two of us we'll never get through all the meat !!
I went to the Bernard Matth*ws shop near the factory they sell lots of their products off quite cheap ,this Crown was £5-50 and it's quite a good size one too.

Oh hubby's calling out for a cuppa .
BBL

Annx

Annx Report 19 Apr 2014 13:09

Afternoon All,

I have wondered about getting one of those pillows to sit up and read with, but haven't as my back doesn't even like a stack of pillows after a little while. That cough sure is hanging on Jane! :-S

It was really chilly this morning in spite of the odd sunny spell so I put my coat on to go out and have opened the greenhouse just a tiny crack.

Mel how stupid that boy hasn't learned to get hooks out safely......! Even my friend and I as children fishing in the canal knew how to press the hooks sideways slightly to release the barb on them to get them out. I must have read it in that Mr Crabtree goes Fisjhing book I had!! lol. What he was doing was cruel and could cause infection, even all the handling of them can damage the mucus surface and cause them to get fungal infection that can be fatal. He's a liability! I hope you have a nice day at Bude. I love walking along beaches and looking for pebbles, shells and other stuff!! Good old Chucky, paying for her keep!!

I'm off out again now for a browse somewhere and OH has gone to footie at Cottesmore.

Jane

Jane Report 19 Apr 2014 11:17

Morning /Evening All
Mel I did actually sleep fairly well .But not with the pillow up the way it should be.I found I couldn't sleep propped up so high ,so turned it upside down and slept on one of the sides with my other pillows underneath .So I was still higher than I normally would be if you get my meaning lol.But have made up this morning wit hall the coughing I didn't do in the night.It takes an age to clear it all :-S.
I hope you have a nice day out today and that the weather is nicer than it is here.It is very breezy and a lot of cloud around.Not too warm either.
I just need to get some veg for tomorrow as I forgot to buy Carrots and Parsnips (silly me)Other than that I will not be going anywhere today.There is a pile of ironing I might crack on with later.
James is out to eat tonight with some friends to celebrate his new job.I think they are going over to Rothwell to some king of Steakhouse.I don't know what Chris and I are having yet.Something quick and simple I think as there is the big Roast tomorrow.

I'll BBL

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 19 Apr 2014 08:21

Frosty start here but the sun is out now. I have done some snacks for the fishing boys and only have to make their coffee and take Alan over to the fishery when they arrive here.

Just having something to eat and then I shall let the chickens out.

Jane hope the cough is a bit better today and that you had a nights sleep on that new pillow.