General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 0 + 1 of 1733

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 24 Apr 2014 20:20

Yes, the excitement is over for now and I can't find out any more about it! At the time we didn't have a clue what was going on, these chaps just ran off and I couldn't even say what they looked like or which way they went, except towards the rear park entrance. Our park covers a huge area, what was once they old clay tips from the brickmaking has all been landscaped over long ago and is used for the putting. I think they will be very lucky to catch them unless the helicopter got a sighting - or someone saw them.

Jane it was a bigger bargain than you thought, it only cost me £2.50, or did I make a typo?

If I hear any more about the robbery I'll let you know.

I had a spooky moment this afternoon while trawling through the net. Carmel's eldest son Alan (Balfe), who died must be 14 years ago now, used to write books on various computing systems and they were published here and abroad. I put his name on Google and it came up that his books were still on sale today, via Amaz*n, EB*y and various other outlets here and in the USA. I'm actually referred to in the Corel 3 books, when he says "my step father is an artist, and a very good one". That still gives me a lump in my throat.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 24 Apr 2014 20:08

Well we got Clucky back home late morning and as we were taking her up on the big trailer oh turned to me and said LIBRARY which had been since January! ! They are only coming once a month now instead of fortnightly. Anyway I got 5 books so that shoudl keep my quiet for a month at least. Now I just have to get back into the habit of listening to them whilst getting lunch and dinner.

Liz it would be lovely if you could get a rescue donkey for company for Merlin as well as keeping you occupied. I have two friend s down here who have taken rescue donkeys and they both have had foals so two for the price of one!! Or should I say buy one get one free.

Went to Holsworthy this afternoon for chicken food. Had a quick look in the factory shop and found a nice denium shirt so treated myself to that and also bought two of those willow lattice panels to stop the bantams coming up on the patio. Oh put them in place and the little bantam walked straight under the gate!!!!! We never win.

Sounds like you nearly had a close encounter whilst out today William. You could have told them where they went .

Mandy I have that problem with cues too sometimes. Last year was the first time three grew ok and I sowed those myself, not bought plants. I have bought two this year but have'nt sorted the tunnel or the greenhouse yet so everything is sitting on the patio at the mo.

Oh is fishing tomorrow so I may be able to mosey about the garden and get something sorted.

Boiled bacon for us tonight with cheese and onion sauce and mustartd mash and green beans. Just going to cut the meat up and serve now.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 24 Apr 2014 19:06

We've got a recycling bit like that at our Te*co's Jane but i've never seen it look as bad as yours what a mess !!
We have glass bins and a bin for shoes and clothes ,but i have seen window frames left there i suppose they think they can dump them as they are glass .
As you drive to our Tesco's you go right past our new recycling centre so there's no reason why things should be dumped there .

Oh William that was a bit too close for comfort !! but i suppose you didn't know what was happening at the time , i wonder if they caught them ?
You certainly get all the bargains :-D

BIL has had his op today and when sister rang he was back on the ward which was good as they had thought he might need to go to Intensive care after his op a bed had been booked for him just in case he needed it ,they also thought he might need a blood transfusion too but he didn't .

We had heavy rain for a while this afternoon it went over so dark i thought we were in for a storm !!

One of my Cucumber plants has passed away !! :-( :-D i planted three last year and one died ,seems strange it's always the one in the middle of the three that dies !!

Jane

Jane Report 24 Apr 2014 17:51

How exciting William,even if it might have been a bit scary.Were the men carrying the swag as they ran off? That was a good bargain for £2.99 especially still being boxed.Probably some had it as an unwanted present.

When I went to Tes** earlier there is a recycling bit just as you drive into the car park.Well it was disgraceful Someone must have been there in the night time and fly tipped everything including a sofa.It often happens there but this is the worst I have seen it in a long while.I thought there were supposed to be cameras there.I took a photo .There was so much rubbish that all the big bins were overflowing.
I will send the pic and you will see what I mean .

William

William Report 24 Apr 2014 17:37

Hello folks, here I am once again! Can't keep away now I've popped back once or twice.

Jane, Carmel is still waiting to go back to the clinic about her tum problems. I've been to see the consultant this afternoon following my tests and all I have to do now (fingers crossed) is stay on the medication I've been prescribed. So that should be then end of me traipsing up and down - I hope!

I had to pop along to our surgery earlier this afternoon to see the doc about my cholesterol and get my tablets 'down graded' as the side effects were making my arthritis worse. However, that's not the story - this is. As we were driving towards our little town, a maroon car coming the opposite direction stopped in the middle of the road, the doors flew open and these two 'asian' chaps flew off in the direction of the back park gates. The car following nearly collided with the open door and we just thought they were giving chase to someone.
However when we got to town, we heard a burglar alarm going off in the jewelers next to Ic*land, where we were headed. I asked the staff what was going on and they said the jewelers had been robbed and two guys had taken off in a maroon car!
After I'd been to the surgery we noticed the Police helicopter circling over the park - and on our way home, there was a Police & CID car parked in the back gate to the park and another in the adjacent pub.
I think that's the first time we've ever witnessed a part of a 'real crime'.

While we were in town, we popped in the hospice charity shop and both got bargains. Carmel got a lovely big Carnival glass dish (she collects it) for £3 to add to her collection.Unlike Frank's Ros, she didn't drop it when we got home!
Also, I got a bargain in there too. I'd been wondering how I was going to get my RAF memories eventually bound and envisaged the expenses of getting in done somewhere or buying a binder. In the hospice shop was an unused binder with all the bits and bobs, boxed as brand new, and I got it for £2.50. The sticker as new was still on the side at £14.99.

That's about all for now, hope Frank gets away OK. They deserve a break - and not a glass one!!!

Jane

Jane Report 24 Apr 2014 17:29

I imagine Frank will be about there now.I hope he had a good flight and didn't get any ideas about the Mile High Club lol.Hopefully it will be a lovely relaxing and chilled holiday for them .

I wore my new sandals to Tes** and they are very comfortable :-D.They weren't cheap so they better last.They are supposed to have an anti odour (the bit your feet are on).That will be a miracle if that works with my feet lol.I have another pair arriving in a day or so ,slightly different ones ,so if they are ok then I will be binning a few of my older pairs.

Dinner tonight is Cod in Breadcrumbs,Cauliflower Cheese,baby new potatoes,beans and carrots.So not a lot to prepare :-D

Magpie

Magpie Report 24 Apr 2014 13:51

Jane I am working on the donkey issue. OH isn't against it in principle, but we've not got much paddock land 3/4 acre, and that really isn't enough for another equine. However, The new people in the big 'posh' house down the road whom I have met briefly are into horses and have several acres (not sure the exact number!) so when I next see the 'lady of the house', I am going to see if they might be interested in donkey rescue. As you say the cruelty and suffering experienced by these poor creatures is unimaginable and it would be lovely to help even in a minor way. Princess Diana's family?!! I didn't know that, and am a bit astonished!
Managed to watch the end of Jamaica Inn last night - enjoyed it-ish!! Still had trouble with diction, but not quite as badly as part 1!! I think too that you needed more episodes, as condensing a fairly substantial book into three rather muddly sections made following the 'plot difficult unless you'd read it, so what with that and the unintelligible speech I think if I hadn't I would have given up!!!

Annx

Annx Report 24 Apr 2014 13:32

Afternoon All,

Good luck to Fiona's hubby with his interview. Always a good idea to have mints handy. When I used to do training or interviewing I would have some......nothing worse than stale breath breathing all over you. :-S Same with the hairdresser as Jane said or with the optician, they get really close......often curry breath round here.

I like donkeys, they are mostly so placid and gentle for little ones and make a good companion for horses on their own. I watched a good prog last week about an elderly couple that spent their time in India helping the work donkeys there. They had a sanctuary out there and would take a sick or injured donkey to give it treatment. A local vet was also giving his time for free to help them. The only way the owners would let them take the donkeys was by leaving one they'd nursed back to health in it's place. The owners' attitudes were that it was a 'work donkey' and didn't matter. They underfed, overworked and overloaded them and some would just leave injured or sick animals at the roadside to die. One poor little animal had such a tender back, as soon as they touched it's back it sank to it's knees with the pain. They moved the donkeys by tying their feet together and lifting them into the back of their vehicle. They were a wonderful old couple and the donkeys loved them. They just returned to this country for fundraising as money ran out.

Mandy has a good drying day for all her washing in the new machine!! :-D I did 3 loads yesterday and it's all flapping away on the rotaries now.

Must get cracking on some HW :-S now. The replacement blinds arrive tomorrow and OH is clearing the table and putting it down so I can get round with the hoover more easily. Then a bit of planting in the garden if I have any energy left.

BON VOYAGE Frank!!! :-D :-D

Jane

Jane Report 24 Apr 2014 12:11

Morning/Evening All
Good luck to your OH Fiona .Good job you mentioned his tea breath :-D.It's like coffee isn't it and not very pleasant.I always have a pack of Extra Strong mints in my handbag just in case I have any close encounters .I always have one just before I go in to the hairdressers as Nigel often has to bend down to hear what I say because of the noise of the hairdryers ,music and chatting from everyone.Thinking about it the Hairdressers is actually quite a noisy place isn't it.
I hope Frank slaps plenty of sun cream on the top of his head as he says he has had most of it cut off lol..He should be at the car park at the airport now.

Oh Liz do get a Rescue Donkey :-D :-D.I used to work with someone who was very involved in the Donkey Sanctuary .(I think she still is).She had 2 Donkeys herself .One had a bent back and his nickname was wonky donkey lol
She used to tell me of some terrible things happening to abused and abandoned Donkeys :-( One was shockingly to do with a member of Princess Di 's family :-S :-S
You will be able to give a Donkey a wonderful home :-D :-D

I have just had some new sandals arrive in the post.I only ordered them yesterday afternoon !!!!.So I am going to put them on and try them out now.

Fiona

Fiona Report 24 Apr 2014 10:26

Morning All Evening Kim

Have a lovely time Frank & Ros, look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

Well thats my Frank just left for his first job interview going to stop of at Tesco Express for some mints to chew, cos when he kissed me goodbye I told all I could smell was tea on his breath yuck. he's a bit early but he is going to change into his new shirt & tie at the service station which is just 10mins from the works so he won't be sweaty when he arrives :-D :-D
He hopes to be back about 2.30 and then will pack a small suitcase for he leaves at 4 to travel down to Chester le Street, and is staying over night as he has to be at another interview at 8.00am tomorrow, this one is for the Co-operative, though if he gets the job he will be working here in Scotland.

Coffee time, and must get the washing on the line,

Frank

Frank Report 24 Apr 2014 09:17

Almost ready for the off. All packed in the car.

News said TWO LANES ON M1 blocked North bound by Luton Airport. So had better leave a bit of extra time.

I had to smile, Ros sat in the hairdressers with me yesterday and said to him "NOT TO SHORT" I am sure he heard it as "NICE AND SHORT" because I have hardly any hair left on my bonce :-D :-D :-D.

Just going to have a coffee, then see about getting off. We have to divert to Lewis on the way.

See you Saturday Week. <3 <3 <3

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 24 Apr 2014 09:09

Morning all,

Well Frank will be off soon i expect , i can never relax until i'am on the plane ,we always like to set off early in case of any hold ups, i'am sure they'll both have a good time .

Jane, it's another Hotp*int machine same make as the last one so we thought we'd stick with what we know .
I put two loads in last night and another this morning ,where does it all come from !!

Gosh Ann you got the yellow fields too !!
I did read that experts say farmers are growing more than ever before.

The boom is being driven by rocketing prices as it becomes more desirable for food, and other producers in Europe suffer the effects of bad weather, so that why there's so much about .
I do wonder though if some of it is the Mustard Plant they are very alike ,and we do have Colmans Mustard Company in Norwich .

Off to do some shopping this morning , i seem to have got low in a lot of things so it looks like it'a a big shop today to get stocked up again .
BBL

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 24 Apr 2014 08:29

Bet Mandy's washer is going nineteen to the dozen after being without one for so long.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 24 Apr 2014 08:29

Morning all and evening Kim,

Enjoy your holiday Frank and bon voyage.

Not a bad morning here with some sunshine and blue skies with white clouds. The dickies are singing.

May go to get chicken food later on but Clucky goes home today and not sure what time they want here back.

Frank

Frank Report 23 Apr 2014 22:33

I'm back from having my last English beer for a week. I had three pints of Adnam's and very nice it was too.

Tony rang and asked if I would like to go and see the match. Real Madrid V Munich. Real won 1-0. 2nd leg next week.

Thanks for all your good wishes. Will try to ENJOY myself. :-D :-D :-D

Hope the weather improves on tonight's, as it is Peeing down here.

See you soon.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 23 Apr 2014 21:10

BBC 2 now is quite interesting about the victorians and what they earnt and did.

Annx

Annx Report 23 Apr 2014 20:46

Evening All,

Gawd Mandy it sounds like you have just as much of the yellow stuff as me and Jane in the Midlands!! We never saw any in Cornwall last year, but it's literally spreading everywhere. As soon as you go outside you can smell it now. Chris's pic is just what we can see here too Jane. I bet you can see it from Space!! I bet you feel good now the oven is done. My microwave needs a going over. I was told once that they should be kept really clean, but mine has heating elements at the top and it is a right fiddle cleaning between those.

It sounds like you are ready to go now Frank, so have a great time both of you and steer clear of 'batter' on things won't you!! :-) With that short haircut you should stay nice and cool. :-D

No I haven't heard any more about the man Jane. When we moved here a few of the old folk fought to stop our bungalows being built (I would have done the same in their shoes as they liked the close as it was....small and quiet!). Some didn't seem very friendly after we moved in and he was one. I don't even know if he has a wife as you just don't see them. Poor old Fitz, his ear sounds very uncomfortable. Has he had trouble with wax before? I think I would be tipping the whole bottle of olive oil in!!

We are off to see the Viking Exhibition at the cinema down the road tomorrow night. I suppose it will be a sort of documentary. Not as good as seeing the real thing like Jane, but at least we'll be sitting down.

I had this years first icecream today, a Thor*tons with a scoop of praline and maple and a scoop of caramel latte. Very moreish!!

Off to bed now.....I think the sickly smell everywhere makes me tired....OH is the same.

Jane

Jane Report 23 Apr 2014 19:07

That machine will be going on over time tomorrow then Mandy :-D.What make have you got?.Yes that 'yellow ' stuff is across the road .There are a couple of horses fields first but then it starts :-| I don't think it is at its brightest yet so it'll probably still be annoying for a few weeks yet.

William ,I'm sorry Carmel is still having trouble with her Tum.I thought it had settled .
I would love to hear from people I have lost touch with.The trouble is I have no idea where they are, and they would have no idea where I am lol.So the chances of that happening are zilch :-S
There are a couple of old friends though who I will be sending birthday cards to this year even though we aren't in touch that often.it will be their 60th birthdays,same as me !!!.I went to Primary School with them.It is also my old Primary School teachers 94th (I think 94) on the 5th May.I think she is housebound now ,but her mind is stlll as sharp as ever :-D

Just got a little video clip of the squirrel on the peanut ball :-D

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 23 Apr 2014 18:26

Have a lovely holiday Frank, i hope you've remembered the camera ,we want a photo of you in your shorts you know :-D :-D and don't forget to slap on the sun cream we don't want to see photo's of you looking like a lobster !! :-D :-D safe journey .

Washing machine arrived just after three ,two nice chatty men brought it in ,now hubby's going to connect it up .

Oh Jane is that old Rape just across the road from you ? no wonder your all bunged up ,when i nipped out in the car the other day to see hubby i counted fourteen fields of the stuff ,it's every where !!

William

William Report 23 Apr 2014 17:45

Hello Folks, - it's the part-timer again!!! Thanks for all the Easter Wishes and Frank for his beautiful Jacquie Lawson ecard.

Well Happy St George's Day to you all, I had my St George's Cross badge on when we went out to do our bit of shopping. Also Shakespeare's birthday and the anniversary of his death. He worked that out well didn't he? It's also my brother-in-laws birthday, Harry who is over in Dublin. When we phoned to wish him many happy returns this morning, his wife said he was at a funeral! I can think of better ways to spend my birthday - but we pay our respects don't we.

Not much been going on with us, in fact Carmel has been a bit under the weather with recurring stomach problems. Be glad when she goes back to outpatients next month.

We also have been watching Jamaica Inn, and I have to admit to falling asleep half way through episode one! Carmel has a job to hear the TV anyway so I always give her the zapper to control the volume. Not only;y that but we had to have the sub titles on as well otherwise we couldn't make out what Jos was saying at all. It was all a bit gloomy whichever way you view it, but I suppose we'll stick it out to the end.

Isn't it nice when you think you've lost touch with someone and then a letter comes from them out of the blue. That happened to us today and made us feel a lot better. We've had contact from a couple of distand friend over the 'holiday', one in person, up from Bath - and another by phone call from a friend who has moved back from Scotland to Birmingham.

Frank, I'm so sorry to hear of Ros's mishap with the vase, what a shame. Bad enough if you knocked it over indoors and it got smashed, but to never make it inside, that's a disaster.

Off to do a bit more to my RAF memories, more to catch up with than I thought, but I'm slowly getting there. I still miss Simon's input and don't think I'll ever get used to the fact that he was in that fatal plane crash.