General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Peri-anal abscesses

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Dec 2012 11:41

Anyone else get these? My son is on his way to hospital to have an op - this is the fourth time this year and goodness knows how many times in all

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Dec 2012 11:49

My BIL in Canada had one and it was very nasty. he had an op too and the wound had to left open to drain and heal naturally . Was 2 months before he went back to work full time.

Very painfull too he said . :-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Dec 2012 11:55

wish they could find the reason for him having so many but they can't - he worries about losing so much time post op because of his job - he's a train driver so obviously sitting down all day

Julia

Julia Report 3 Dec 2012 11:56

I must confess that I have never heard of this, even though it does sounds very painful.
If it is not too delicate a subject to describe on here, would you please explain it to me, and where exactly is the site of the abcess.

Many Thanks

Julia in Derbyshire

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Dec 2012 11:59

think it's caused by an ingrowing hair Julia - on his bum!!!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Dec 2012 12:01

I believe BIL.s was attributed to ingrowing hairs that then became infected. he also had laser treatment or something like that to remove all the hairs in that region.

He had had it drained on several occasions but the final op they made quite a large wound because they removed some of the area around it so the hair follicles were removed and no chance of it growing back. It was left open and packed every day with clean dressings which is why it took so long to heal completely

Julia

Julia Report 3 Dec 2012 12:23

Thank you both for the explanation. I fully understand now.
And, I do sympathise with those who suffer with this affliction.

Julia in Derbyshire

Sue

Sue Report 3 Dec 2012 12:26

Just a thought Ann, as you say it is caused by ingrowing hairs, could his job of train driver, sitting down alot, add to this.?
Sounds v. painful, poor chap.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 3 Dec 2012 12:40

i hope your son gets well soon Ann

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Dec 2012 12:52

thanks folks - didn't really put this up as a synmpathy thread, just wondered how prevalent this condition is - you could have a point Sue

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 3 Dec 2012 12:57

Ouch!!

Very nasty and uncomfortable, I've had two friends with them one male one female

I think Sue may well be right about the sitting at work

Its the packing afterwards that seems to cause the most distress and discomfort

As it is his fourth time I hope they go the whole hog and do what Shirley's BIL had done and get it over with once and for all. I resisted the urge to make the obvious pun :-(

Hope all goes well for him :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Dec 2012 12:59

perhaps he could gt it done for some charity!!! he has a great sense of humour most of the time but he ain't a happy bunny today I can tell you

he did have one on his chest by the way but that got zapped with antibiotics - generally if he gets the medication as soon as, an operation is not necessary

depends how deep they have to cut as to how much packing there is

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 3 Dec 2012 13:32

Oh my god yes my nephew has had a few of these, horrendous things. Hope your son gets his sorted quick AnnC:))

Ouchhhhh!!

jude :-) x

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 3 Dec 2012 14:04

I think I told you before that my friend's son had a string of these but the packing caused major problems. Fortunately he is now clear :-D

Hope your son recovers from the op quickly, it is about time a bit more money was thrown into research!

Sue x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Dec 2012 14:17

well he had an exploratory a few weeks back to see if they could find the cause but came up with nothing - I told him that when he was a baby I looked after his little bum with the utmost care - he never ever had nappy rash - it was perfect. Since he's had charge of it it's all gone downhill - must look like a map of the world by now!!!

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 3 Dec 2012 14:26

lolol Ann :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Dec 2012 16:51

can you believe it - yes you can - he's still in A & E waiting for a bed :-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Dec 2012 18:22

he got a bed about half an hour ago - no heating in A & E and they'd been there for six hours - frozen to the marrow

TaniaNZ

TaniaNZ Report 3 Dec 2012 18:35

Hi Ann as the others have said they are caused by hair. As soon as he can he needs to go and have laser treatment to remove-the hair. While the hair remains they will keep coming back. It may also well be that he has fistula tracks that a surgeon will have to examine under anaesthetic but I would handle the hair 1st
Funnily enough that uk programmes embarrassing bodies featured just this problem if he wants to look up the episode

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 3 Dec 2012 18:43

Ann, are you sure your son wants his intimate details posted on such an open and public forum?

My son would do his top if I did anything like that but, in fact, I wouldn't dream of posting anything so personal about any member of my family.

Just thinking of preserving his modesty.............