General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHOS THE MOST INTELLIGENT PERSON YOU HAVE EVER MET

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 8 Jan 2013 22:42

Mine is my uncle,Head of inorganic chemistry at oxford university,and a well knwn scientist all over the world,started off at cambridge.

to me,he was the one that took me out for walks in my pram in liverpool during the 60s,hes the one that came to my wedding,my daughters wedding,and we all attended his sons wedding in cambridge,his mum,my nan,is 98 now and for the last 12m has been living in a nursing home in cambridge ..

to me hes just my uncle, :-D

ann

ann Report 8 Jan 2013 22:50

My dad no degrees etc but seems to know all the answers!!

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 8 Jan 2013 22:50

my Mother :-D

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 8 Jan 2013 22:57

mum and dad are not allowed,its mum and dad who make us what we are today,

we all have our level of intelligence,some may not be up there enough for people to take notice,but we are all intelligent in our own ways.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jan 2013 22:59

Well, in IQ level - the younger of my brothers :-D

......but we both have the same IQ :-D

He's 6 years older than me, and used to call me 'thick' as I didn't know as much as him :-S

Independently, he, my dad and I took a 'mensa' test in a local newspaper, all 3 of us were invited to go to a proper IQ test.
I challenged my brother, dad didn't come.
Bro & I took the test - and found we had the same (quite high) IQ :-D

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 8 Jan 2013 23:04

A barrister called Mr Clancy. I was just sixteen and it was my first job, and he showed me that figrolls should always be slathered with butter :-D :-D :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 8 Jan 2013 23:06

My father in law - Walter O Jones. He never had many quals, bujt he was a lifetime student and was so interested in anybody and anything.

He would walk up to somebody and say "you have an interesting face, tell me about yourself".

And once he was picking me and OH up from Manchester Airport. We were delayed by an hour. He knocked on door of Security and said "you look as if you have a most interesting job".

By the time we landed, he had had a guided tour of the whole airport copmplex behind the scenes and had watched our plane landing in Flight Control :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jan 2013 23:07

:-D BC ....I must try that

BrianW

BrianW Report 8 Jan 2013 23:24

My old boss at East Anglian Examinations Board when it was in Colchester.
She's now retired to the Lake district but still knocks off a couple of Open University courses every year plus an A Level or two just to keep herself amused.
But she hasn't mastered how to add an attachment to an email yet !

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jan 2013 23:50

Brian, that's the problem - very intelligent - no common sense :-D

At uni, I was taught Hinduism by Shirley Firth - mum of Colin.
An amazing woman, much relieved by the invention of the microwave.
She had difficulty boiling an egg :-D

It's amazing how her children survived childhood :-S

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jan 2013 23:51

dunno :-S :-S

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 9 Jan 2013 00:07

AnnC Some of the doctors who worked in your field were absolutely brilliant. I bet one of them really stands out.

For us, it was a Consultant at Guys called Mr Robinson about 1987. He just had the most amazing listening and diagnostic skills :-D

Thank goodness for Mr Robinson

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 9 Jan 2013 00:24

My First boss in the shipulding Technical and Design offices on Tyneside. He was called James Brown a Scotsman and new everything about all aspects of the design and build of all vessels. He learnt his trade in the Scottish shipyards without achieving a Degree but had the basic quaifications. There should have been a monument built for this man on Tyneside.

GP

Diane

Diane Report 9 Jan 2013 01:49

To me it would have to be my Uncle Prof David Canter, he has many achievement's to his name which I won't bother putting on here ( did it on another thread ) but to me he is just an ordinary Uncle who I can talk to share memories with and laugh with.

Then again it depends how you define intelligence ?

By achievments or by the kind of human being they are, it takes intelligence to know when to know if you are a humble, kind and considerate human being wouldn't you say :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jan 2013 03:05

brilliant doctors who worked in my field :-S :-S :-S :-S

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 9 Jan 2013 07:29

Intelligence can be very over rated sometimes.

My son (PhD) has a very high IQ but is devoid of any common sense whatsoever. Intelligence is great for passing exams but not always that useful in real life.

I know mine is high because we were all tested before starting our course but I can't drive, even though I tried hard to learn. I still can't touch-type despite typing for years.

However, I'm really good at pub quizzes and passing exams.

Gwynne

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 9 Jan 2013 08:50

My friend's husband....he's a nuclear scientist turned accountant ..understands complex theories that just make mine and my friend's heads explode !!! Really lovely guy who never shows off about it...very non assuming and modest....though I whip his a** at Eggheads pmsl.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Jan 2013 09:05

Tim Berners-Lee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Machines_380Z

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 9 Jan 2013 09:07

Nobody stands out as better than another
but every body has their merits in my life

even the autistic boy i know from judo excels in something
he maynot be able to run or jump
but he knows everything there is to know about skylanders :-D :-D

MrDaff