General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

jigsaw puzzle

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 10 Jan 2013 00:37

have just completed a jigsaw puzzle i recieved as a gift. not done one for years. do others do them, or are they out of date now? it sure kept me quiet for a couple of hours each day.

aivlyS

aivlyS Report 10 Jan 2013 00:38

Yes I have done puzzles , find them very relaxing , I want one of those ones that you make into a picture with a light .

Michelle

Michelle Report 10 Jan 2013 00:38

I do them from time to time, we have a table set up at work where people can work on one during breaks/lunchtime

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 10 Jan 2013 08:40

I used to love doing jigsaw puzzles and found them very relaxing. The problem is, the internet took over......... :-(

I have a great pile of them in the loft........oh dear. :-(

Apparently, the Queen has one permanently 'on the go' at either Sandringham or Balmoral - or so I read somewhere once. :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 10 Jan 2013 08:44

We all love jigsaws in our house.
Eldest daughter started a 1000 pc (Muppets) jigsaw a few days after Christmas.
Having completed the edges and just about started in the picture, she left it on a board in the lounge and went out for the evening.
By the time she returned, the puzzle was done.... but we did leave the last piece for her!

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 10 Jan 2013 08:58

I like doing them but dont have the room at my flat, Havent got a table to put it on, cant do it on floor as cant get down there.I have a few that i wanted to do and frame them.

Hazelx

Joy

Joy Report 10 Jan 2013 09:12

We love doing jigsaws. Those that we decide not to do any more are taken to charity shops where we purchase more :)

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 10 Jan 2013 09:26

My OH loves puzzles and we have about 20 ready to go to a charity shop.

The best ones in the last few months have been 1000,s

1940,s shopping basket
1950,s sweet memories
1970,s shopping basket

Certainly brought back memories. Though I didn,t have many of those sweets in the 50,s. :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jan 2013 09:34

Used to like doing them but it is difficult to find somewhere to put them unless you fork out on the special base. Have you tried the ones on the internet? Not quite the same but interesting to do. Daughter did loads while recuperating from her breast cancer op and radio therapy when she couldn't use the keyboard much.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 10 Jan 2013 11:09

Treehunter,
We use a porta-puzzle
It's like a very large tri -fold folder ( comes in different sizes)
You create the puzzle on this and it stays put.... like fuzzy felt.
You can put it on your lap or sit it next to you on a sofa.
Simply close it up and store it until you are ready to continue as it wont fall apart

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jan 2013 12:28

Yes that was the one I meant Hazel but, unless you do a lot of puzzles, and with my card making I don't have the time for another hobby, the porta puzzle is not cheap.

Jean

Jean Report 10 Jan 2013 23:39

glad others like doing a jigsaw. will visit the charity shop, will keep me occupied untill the light nights return.

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 10 Jan 2013 23:52

Thank you Anne and AG cant afford to buy one. Have looked out for them at boot sale and charity shops but not had any luck. Will still keep looking for one.

Hazelx

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 11 Jan 2013 12:57

The JigRoll is very handy - just roll up so table is still in use.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Jan 2013 14:11

My sister got a Porta-Puzzle for less than £1 in a boot sale.

I keep Mum's old one at our caravan and slide it under the settee there if the puzzle isn't finished in one visit.

This online site allows you to change the cut if you want more of a challenge or you can just choose the normal ones.

http://www.jigzone.com/

Gwyn

Jean

Jean Report 12 Jan 2013 01:07

not heard of wasgij, please explain.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 12 Jan 2013 01:16

could we start a jigsaw puzzle thread? I find them fascinating and we could all do the same one and compare where pieces go if you see what I mean

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Jan 2013 08:57

wasgij.....jigsaw

there is a picture on the box which is,
for example ,a fairground/fete with maybe surprised looking persons/audience in it............

.however the picture in the puzzle, is what the surprised/audience people are seeing

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Jan 2013 04:50

I have loads of old puzzles, they were in my garage when I sorted it out last year.

Used to love doing them and got o.h. doing some too but don't seem to have time now and nowhere to leave it up and ready. My o.h. can get large sheets of corrugated cardboard from work with a smooth side so could do the puzzle on one of those and push it under the sofa I suppose. Maybe I will give it a go, will sort one out when I go to my storage area.

Lizx

K

K Report 13 Jan 2013 06:12

We started with a couple of jigsaws again over Christmas and its got us hooked. Finished Pieter Bruegel's Hunters in the Snow which we lovedd and started on a railway station one which I bought for a £1 from a charity shop which has OH enthralled!

I use grey board from art shops as a base for making prints and found a whole sheet makes a good base for puzzles. It costs about £2.50 and a sheet takes a 1000 piece puzzle. I store it in another room when we aren't using it. but I suppose on a table you could cover it with a tablecloth.

Kx