General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

When i was a child

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 11 Feb 2013 01:32

When i was a child mum would send me 2 the shops with half a crown,

I could get meat, milk, a comic, 6 eggs & a pair of jeans. you can't do that these days,

God damn CCTV

Roy :-D

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 11 Feb 2013 01:33

No coz theres no half crowns now!!! :-D

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 11 Feb 2013 01:43

OK approximately 25 pence in new money

Roy

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 11 Feb 2013 01:48

:-D :-D @ Roy

When I was 5 I had 6d pocket money. I had a little girlfriend who also had 6d. So we used to pool our 1/- (5p) and buy the Dandy, the Beano, a Mars Bar and three penny chews. :-)

jax

jax Report 11 Feb 2013 01:51

Half a crown could buy Wimpy and chips or 20 cigs from the machine outside the newsagents...Cigs were for mum, I remember because I did'nt pull the draw out properly and lost the money :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 11 Feb 2013 01:55

Jax. And you could get in the pictures twice for 2/6d. Or Saturday mornings 5 times!!!! Then the Kaiser spoiled it all for us. ;-)

Edit. And the blessed CCTV :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Feb 2013 01:57

Mum used to send me up to the shops with 6d or 1/- to buy a loaf of bread.

One time she didn't give me enough money for whatever it was, and the shop keeper was really unpleasant to me, even though I'd often been in there.

I was only about 6 ............

......... but I still have to be sure that I have more than enough cash in my purse for whatever it is I want to buy

talk about scarring for life :-(

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 11 Feb 2013 02:09

I remember a loaf of bread for a shilling, and getting a packet of 10 ciggies for my mother,
The shopkeeper was a lovely chap,only lived about 50yards from us, he knew the ciggies were for mum who only smoked one or 2 a day,so whilst I was only about 6 or7 he sold them to me,,no idea how much they cost in those days!
Not much idea how much they cost now !! Now being sold behind closed cupboards in the supermarkets, about £7 for 20 about right ? from what I read in the papers.

jax

jax Report 11 Feb 2013 02:29

Think saturday morning pictures was 6d when I was a child aswell??

It was never a problem buying cigs for parents, I too was probably 6 or 7 when they sent me to the corner shop....I just remember having to use this machine one day as the shop was shut

I think OH pays £6 odd for our cigs ......glad I dont smoke as much as I used to now.

Cant remember bread or milk prices, but a shilling rings a bell

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Feb 2013 03:38

I think mum used to 6d for a half hour piano lesson for me .......

.......... and she didn't always have that much to spare, so I would have to miss the lesson.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 11 Feb 2013 08:14

Did I imagine it or could you at one time buy cigarettes in packs of five?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Feb 2013 08:24

nope

you could do that ............. also in 10s and 20s

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 11 Feb 2013 08:39

I used to buy Park Drive in packs of 5

Roy

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 11 Feb 2013 08:52

Does anybody remember packs of 2? Think they were 3d for Woods, PD and Weights. Dad used to split packs of 20 into singles, wrap a match round them with elastic band and sell a small ciggy for 2d (about 1960 period) :-D

Used to sell like hot cakes - and more profit ;-)

Also remember boxes of 25, 50, 100 and 200 (I think)

I started smoking when I was 10 and they were 1/1d a pack of 10 Park Drive. Stopped in 1984 after nearly 30 years of puffing

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 11 Feb 2013 08:55

Yes i remember the pack of 2 if i remember they used to come with 2 matches?

Roy

michael2

michael2 Report 11 Feb 2013 08:57

at christmas time you could also buy cigarettes in boxe,s containing 50 i think they were mainly players, and senior service.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 11 Feb 2013 09:17

and if you were in the army in BAOR in the early 60's you could get 200 players/senior service for a pound........

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Feb 2013 09:41

and if you worked for a tobacco company as I did for many years, you got them free with your pay each week!!

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 11 Feb 2013 11:05

I can remember my first cigarette, I was fifteen and four of us went to the cinema, two boys and two girls. One of the boys gave each of us a cigarette. I thought we were so sophisticated but only inhaled once and it went straight to my head, I felt dizzy and sick. I did not try another cigarette and then only because it was the social thing to do. I have not smoked for nearly forty years.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 11 Feb 2013 13:57

Roy,

think again.

25pence was the same as a whole crown or five bob!

Half-a-crown was just twelve-and -a half pence.

Rember 12 pennies make a shilling; twenty shillings made a pound,
so there were 240 pennies in a pound.

I remember a tanner (sixpenny piece) suddenly being two-and-a-half new pence.

Now it is one hundred pence in a pound.

When did we stop calling th " new pence" ?