General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Top Cleaning Tips

Page 2 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 26 Feb 2013 09:15

I got a packet of baby wipes today.

We've been away, so there was three days of gheko poo on the sofa & chairs. YUK!

The baby wipes got it all off :-D

But........ before I could try them on the carpet, Himself got there with a "carpet cleaner" he found in the supermarket. What used to be a row of brown spots (about 10 small ones) he managed to change into a big black blob :-(

I'll try the baby wipes tomorrow (when the carpet has dried a bit), if they don't work I'll try dabbing it with wool wash (that usually works).

Gins

Gins Report 26 Feb 2013 09:34

Thats made me laugh Scozz......not that it's funny for you of course

Why do men seem to think that harder and faster is better, a womans gentle touch often works better!

Dea

Dea Report 26 Feb 2013 10:23

Hi Ginns,

I never come on here but I was looking for Sylvia's thread and found yours. :-)

If you haven't yet got those candle splashes off the mirror then buy some 'stick stuff remover' from Lakeland Plastics - it will cost you £3 summat and it is brilliant !!!

It removes practically anything from just about everywhere - you can even use it on your skin to remove that nasty black sticky stuff that remains after you have worn a plaster.

Dea Xxx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 26 Feb 2013 11:12

lol @ Gins comment

We're not only talking about carpet are we?

<3 <3 <3 <3 ;-)

Gins

Gins Report 26 Feb 2013 12:33

Naughty Scozz :-0 ;-)

Thanks Dea, I dont have a Lakeland near me? Sounds good stuff, please forward ASAP :-D

Dea

Dea Report 26 Feb 2013 13:08

Ginns - you can order it online here:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8976/Sticky-Stuff-Remover

OR, are you anywhere near Meadowhall Shopping Centre, if so, there is a store there:

Sheffield, Meadowhall

28 - 29 The Arcade Meadowhall Sheffield S9 1EH Work 0114 256 9091

Monday10.00 - 21.00
Tuesday10.00 - 21.00
Wednesday10.00 - 21.00
Thursday10.00 - 21.00
Friday10.00 - 21.00
Saturday09.00 - 20.00
Sunday11.00 - 17.00

Dea Xxx

Gins

Gins Report 26 Feb 2013 13:39

Thanks Dea, I can get to MeadowHell!

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 26 Feb 2013 14:00

Slighty off topic
Just had a catalogue thro my door ,with gadgets and cleaners that sound wonderful,
They don't know that we have gleaned the knowledge handed down from generations.
These cleaners seem to cost a lot !
Some of the gadgets look good!
Clever ideas but common sense can prevail.

Dea

Dea Report 26 Feb 2013 18:16

'Meadow Hell !!' - sounds like my idea of shopping !!! ;-) :-D

Your trip will be worth it though if you get a bottle of 'that stuff' !!

Dea Xxx

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 26 Feb 2013 18:30

That washing up liquid thats kind to your hands ........use it for almost everything!! including candle wax on the mirror ot limestone floors!

also a baby feeding spoon it gets yuk of everything even saucepans that you burn stuff on soak in ***** liquid and scrape with plastic spoon no nasty metal on metal scrapes!

Gins

Gins Report 26 Feb 2013 19:24

I hate shopping Malls....I like local and the odd visit to the big boys, as when I have to

I dont have any FL as a rule, do you think I can fit a 5ft x 4ft mirror in the dishwasher?

Gins

Gins Report 1 Mar 2013 17:55

Paula

Just used your tip for the vineger and water on waxed wood......brilliant, thank you

I have a large chest of early 20th c bank drawers which I cleaned up when I bought them about 15 years ago

Since then, my husband has always thrown his ipod and ear phones on them when he gets home from work :-| This has left water marks, from the rain

I had tried to 'wax' them out....nope. Just used your tip and they have gone!

I need to re wax tomorrow but so pleased the marks have gone

:-D

Dea, I got the candle wax off the mirror with my magic 'Astonish' Cook & Oven Ware cleaner....one wipe and whoosh

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 1 Mar 2013 19:15

You can tell Gins is bored.......she's doing some cleaning :-S

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 7 Mar 2013 01:57

I just finished cleaning two chairs with baby wipes.

Faux leather lol

"Office" chairs in the study........ the horrible sort, that the dust gets stuck in the cracks! :-P

They look like new :-D

Gins

Gins Report 7 Mar 2013 09:03

Must get me some of those baby wipes and give myself a good rub down.............

:-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 7 Mar 2013 09:35

me too Gins. I've been wondering if they come in Bath Sheet size!

It's nice to finish cleaning something & have hands that aren't stinking of strong detergent ~ naughty me didn't wear gloves when I was cleaning the chairs.

I also tried them on the 'phone - all those grubby fingermarks have gone :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Mar 2013 11:21

Not sure if this has already been mentioned

Use Salt and a damp cloth or toothpaste as mild abrasive on painted wood or tiles.

Disclaimer - test an unobtrusive area first!

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 7 Mar 2013 12:02

on Monday i went shopping and joked as i bought a pack of cleaning wipes
to my 7 year old grandson that i was buying them for him to clean my house

soon as we got home he got his wet wipes
and wiped all my paintworks and window frames

bless him :-D

Merlin

Merlin Report 7 Mar 2013 13:41

Thought Cleaning/Ironing Etc.were banned subjects Similar to Expletives .Tut Tut, Ladies. :-( :-(

Gins

Gins Report 7 Mar 2013 15:32

I never mentioned the 'I' word.......honest, I woudnt, never :-0