General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Toad in the hole

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Feb 2013 17:22

I made one for tea.

It was horrible.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 28 Feb 2013 17:24

Hope you didnt feed it to dear Fred then...

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Feb 2013 17:27

He cleared his plate.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 28 Feb 2013 17:30

poor darling :-D So what did you do to make this so horrible, Sharron. Have never made it so I wont really know anything. Will just nod knowledgeably and say you probably should have used so and so...

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 28 Feb 2013 17:33

You supposed to use Sausages, not Toads. :-D

ps, was it Road Kill? :-P

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 28 Feb 2013 17:35

Probably, ET, she usually makes her own squirrel sausages.... :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Feb 2013 17:42

It tasted like road kill. It was vege sausages but I cannot make a decent Yorkshire so my batter was vile,again!

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 28 Feb 2013 17:47

BC, I hope Sharron uses the Grey Squirrels in her sausages and not our cute little Red ones, or else I`ll be calling on the Tufty Protection Society to take action against her. :-|

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2013 18:00

would you like the batter recipe I use Sharron? I never had much success before using this one but the last few have been quite good ( certainly very edible lol) I use veggie sausage meat sliced about quarter inch rounds.

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Feb 2013 18:03

Yes please.

It could be because I am a chuck and dolloper but that always works well o sponges.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 28 Feb 2013 18:14

I always cook the sausage first and while the oil is still very very hot pour the batter on top and return to the oven straight away for about 20mins.

Batter
Plain flour, eggs, milk/water (half&half) salt &pepper, mix well and leave to stand for about 30mins.

If using skimmed milk omit the water.
Sorry can't give you amounts but I don't measure it.

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2013 18:21

4 oz plain flour (4 heaped tablespoons)
quarter level teaspoon of salt
2 eggs
half pint milk.

allow batter to stand for 10 mins and then stir before pouring in.

I use sunflower oil. Because I'm impatient I tend not to let it get hot enough before putting the batter in , but t does work better if the oil is really hot.

add, I just slice the veggie sausage and put the slices in then pour on the batter. If the sausage is frozen I thaw it first ( lol have to otherwise can't slice it).

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Feb 2013 18:22

That is what I did but I have to accept that I just don't have the knack.

You can't have everything and I have never had a bechamel split on me.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Feb 2013 19:58

using skimmed milk is no good for a decent yorkie mix,,

fat/oil must be really hot ,

I never let it stand,,,,beat and pour and sometimes have to weedle them./it out the oven,,,,,plus depends on what shelf you use,,,

I use mark 7,,,,,,top shelf.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 28 Feb 2013 20:51

My recipe is sooooo much more simple

I just tell OH that I am planning on making toad in the hole ...............watch him go pale and insist on making it himself.

Sit back and enjoy the result

Simple when you have a track record like mine!

:-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Feb 2013 20:53

I think it might be Aunty Bessies again next time.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Feb 2013 20:57

did you rember to uses only the freshest toads ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Feb 2013 20:58

Fresh, low-fat,holes and everything.

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 28 Feb 2013 21:30

Apologies for entering the kitchen uninvited.... :-D

Simple recipe (Try before you Buy !).

Sharron - do you have a small, round tuppaware type container?

1. Take 1 egg (large or XLarge) and break into the tuppaware container - leave a few seconds for it too settle.
2. Pour egg into a larger bowl (I use a 2 pt glass jug).
3. Add Plain flour - into the tuppaware up to the level left by the egg residue (tap it to settle and add more flour as required - don't go by the side you poured the egg out from though!!)
4. Add flour to egg. Use a fork to mix and get as smooth as you can.
5. Add milk to the tuppaware to the same level as the flour (easy to see now).
6. Slowly add milk to egg/flour, mixing it to a smooth paste.
7. When sure it's got no lumps, give it a good whisk with the fork, then cover and let stand for at least 30 mins.
8. Then, give another quick whisk and pour into containers - I use silicone cake molds, so don't need to grease the container. This mix will do for 5 or 6 of the cup cake size molds.
9. Bake in pre-heated oven around 200-220C - time sort of depends on how good your oven is :-D Mine takes around 20 mins, so I need to watch them, or they burn quickly if left too long.

Hey! Worth a try !! GL ;-) :-D

As for Toad in the Hole .... no, I just do the batter :-D :-D :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 28 Feb 2013 21:35

Let it stand in fridge - batter is cold- oil must be very hot - you will succeed.